Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy] COMPLETED

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Message
Author
User avatar
nemlei
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am
itch: nemlei
Contact:

Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy] COMPLETED

#1 Post by nemlei » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:30 am

Hello!

------------------------------

UPDATE:
HERE'S THE NOVEL!! Ahhh!!!!

https://nemlei.itch.io/jack-in-a-castle


-------------------------------

I'm taking on NaNo all by myself, but I'm feeling confident I'll pull through! I've already gotten the main menu working, and written/coded half (?) of the story.

Image

~HERE'S THE STORY~

Jack-In-A-Castle is about a marionette who is looking for the missing king. To do so he becomes a servant at a warped castle, ruled by the temporary king Jack. A jack-in-the-box with a personality as delightful as a landmine. Marion will also meet a bubbly bunny plushie named Bunnie. Who is also looking for the king.

Image

Here's Marion
Image

Here's Jack
Image

And here's Bunnie!
Image

I've yet to finish any character sprites so take those placeholder sketches for now. Lol... I swear they'll be in color in the novel!

Any thoughts? This is a romance so I'm curious which route you'd go for. Jack or Bunnie?

Don't be confused by my art style. They're all dudes. All of them.
Last edited by nemlei on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Syrale
Regular
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:28 am
Completed: Robot Daycare, Deep Sea Valentine
Projects: Artificial Selection, rei_carnation
itch: kigyo
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#2 Post by Syrale » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:50 am

This looks very good so far, I love your art style!
Both LIs seem very cute and cheeky, but I REALLY like Bunnie's design, so I think he's my favorite.
Can't wait to see what they all look like in color!
ImageArtificial Selection (ongoing) |Imagerei_carnation (ongoing) | ImageRobot Daycare (NaNo19)

User avatar
nerupuff
Veteran
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:24 am
Projects: InTWON (Nano19)
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#3 Post by nerupuff » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:29 am

The menu! The background! The sprite sketches! They're all so CUTE! I love them, I love them all. I am so excited for this and I hope you'll be able to finish! I cannot wait for Jack to be colored (because I will definitely go for him). Those eyes just really get me.
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

User avatar
azaraih
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:22 am
Projects: Deadnettle Creek, Grandma June's Robot House
Tumblr: azaraih
itch: azaraih
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#4 Post by azaraih » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:15 am

Wow, I love the art style on this! The background image of the castle is great, the colors on it are just really pleasing to look at. So far I think I like Jack the best, but I'm interested to find out more about everyone. Good luck with your game!
Image

User avatar
Amiralo
Regular
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:06 am
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#5 Post by Amiralo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:38 am

Jack. The fact he's a temporary ruler makes me wonder what he did to become king in the first place haha.

Love the art. Can't wait for the game to come out.
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

User avatar
nemlei
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am
itch: nemlei
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#6 Post by nemlei » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Syrale wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:50 am
This looks very good so far, I love your art style!
Both LIs seem very cute and cheeky, but I REALLY like Bunnie's design, so I think he's my favorite.
Can't wait to see what they all look like in color!
Thank you! I must admit I'm not sure myself what their colors are yet. But they're coming to me slowly. I do have some ideas but I haven't tried them out yet. Ahahha...
nerupuff wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:29 am
The menu! The background! The sprite sketches! They're all so CUTE! I love them, I love them all. I am so excited for this and I hope you'll be able to finish! I cannot wait for Jack to be colored (because I will definitely go for him). Those eyes just really get me.
Thank you, thank you! I'm glad you're excited. It makes me wanna work hard so I won't let you down!

azaraih wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:15 am
Wow, I love the art style on this! The background image of the castle is great, the colors on it are just really pleasing to look at. So far I think I like Jack the best, but I'm interested to find out more about everyone. Good luck with your game!
Thanks!! I was juuust a little bit worried the background art was too cartoony, but now I'm glad I went with it.

Amiralo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:38 am
Jack. The fact he's a temporary ruler makes me wonder what he did to become king in the first place haha.


Love the art. Can't wait for the game to come out.
Thank you! You shall find out soon >:D I'll do my best to get the novel out on time. Should be fine as long as I stick to my plan.


Ahhh thank you all again. Your encouraging feedback has made me feel welcome. <3

User avatar
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2144
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#7 Post by Zelan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:11 pm

Oh, wow!! Same thing that everyone above has already said but I really love the art style for both the sprites and the backgrounds! It's really unique, your VN definitely stands out with it.

It's really impressive that you've already written and coded so much of the story! Good luck on your NaNo, I'm excited to see more updates!

User avatar
Warden
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:58 pm
Projects: Dragon of Beor Mountains
Organization: Intrigue Games
Deviantart: boxofmagicalfury
itch: intrigue
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#8 Post by Warden » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:29 am

The art style is very interesting and not something seen often in VN's so I'm super excited to check it out when you release it! I'm probably most interested in Jack at the moment because there's something about landmine personalities that just draw me in. :P Good luck!
Image

User avatar
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1849
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm
Projects: The Space Between
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#9 Post by LateWhiteRabbit » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:50 am

Welcome to the forums!

I absolutely adore your art style. Great color and designs.

I have to say that I love any character design where the sleeves are longer than the person's arms, but I'd probably pursue the Bunnie route. Something about chasing rabbits....
Don't be confused by my art style. They're all dudes. All of them.
:lol:

User avatar
nemlei
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am
itch: nemlei
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#10 Post by nemlei » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:48 am

Zelan wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:11 pm
Oh, wow!! Same thing that everyone above has already said but I really love the art style for both the sprites and the backgrounds! It's really unique, your VN definitely stands out with it.

It's really impressive that you've already written and coded so much of the story! Good luck on your NaNo, I'm excited to see more updates!
Thank you very much!
I must confess I'm only that far because I cut out a third route. It was getting a bit too big and I definitely would've missed the deadline then. Ahhhhh!

Warden wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:29 am
The art style is very interesting and not something seen often in VN's so I'm super excited to check it out when you release it! I'm probably most interested in Jack at the moment because there's something about landmine personalities that just draw me in. :P Good luck!
Thank you! Looks like we have something in common. I too, am drawn to landmines. Lol! Something about the unpredictability makes me interested.

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:50 am
Welcome to the forums!

I absolutely adore your art style. Great color and designs.

I have to say that I love any character design where the sleeves are longer than the person's arms, but I'd probably pursue the Bunnie route. Something about chasing rabbits....
Don't be confused by my art style. They're all dudes. All of them.
:lol:
Thank you so much! I feel very welcome. <3
With your name and avatar chasing rabbits makes perfect sense!

-----------------------------------
AND NOW FOR SOME UPDATES
-----------------------------------

I've spent the Saturday slaving away at the code. Making sure the point system, if statements and whatnot are actually working (they are... I think.)

But I've also fiddled with color adjustments in Krita to
MAKE TWO BACKGROUNDS OUT OF ONE AHAHAHAH!!!

Image

Image

I hope it looks like the blue one is night-time and the other one is... All the other times.

User avatar
nerupuff
Veteran
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:24 am
Projects: InTWON (Nano19)
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#11 Post by nerupuff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:45 am

Awesome backgrounds! It's pretty nifty to use color adjustments to make a background show what sort of time is going-on. Your BGs are so fun-looking and dynamic! Will those candles on the window sill ever light up?
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

User avatar
minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:59 pm
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: minyan
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#12 Post by minyan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:20 pm

I'm really digging this art style. I can't pick a favorite design, they're all so cute. And don't make me choose between Jack or Bunnie. I have to do both Dx

That BG looks amazing too! Keep up the great work!
ImageImage

User avatar
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2144
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#13 Post by Zelan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:53 pm

nerupuff wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:45 am
Awesome backgrounds! It's pretty nifty to use color adjustments to make a background show what sort of time is going-on. Your BGs are so fun-looking and dynamic! Will those candles on the window sill ever light up?
They do look like different times! I agree with nerupuff, I think it would be extra clear if the candles were lit in the nighttime BG, since that's when they're usually used. Amazing work, keep it up!

User avatar
nemlei
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am
itch: nemlei
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#14 Post by nemlei » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:50 pm

I HAVE RETURNED FROM THE CRUNCHLANDS.

Thank you for the suggestion and kind words!

I went and tried lighting the candles and I think you're right. I like it better this way too.
Image

Image

I have the whole story down now with most of the art too. I'm still missing the main character Marion's finished sprites, and 2 backgrounds.
I have most of the audio, but I'm still mixing and matching what goes where. Turns out sound design was a whole new can of worms for me but heeeyyy. What can you do. It'll be fine.... It'll be fine... Yeah.


Heres the colors for Ronald McDonald Jack. :D
Image

And Bunnie too!

Image

Since Marion remains uncolored, here's my color map to give you an idea (HAHAHAH!!)

Image

Here's some more bgs too.

Image

Image

Still with me? It's almost done!

User avatar
Wight
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 pm
Completed: A Transient Experiment
itch: wight
Contact:

Re: Jack-In-A-Castle [NaNo2019] [BxB, Fantasy]

#15 Post by Wight » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Wow, I'm really digging these backgrounds! It's like a whimsical storybook, which I would say works really well with the character concepts you introduced so far and the Fantasy theme you tagged it as. Even if you think it might be too cartoony, I definitely wouldn't say it's a bad thing.
Even if they're all dudes, they're still cuties. It's a tough choice choosing between Bunnie and Jack. Bunnie immediately catches my interest for being the bigger cutie, but I really wonder about Jack's personality and how he handles being the temporary king.

It looks like you're making great progress so far, keep it up! You got this!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users