Fetch Quest [NaNo2019] [Fantasy, Comedy, GxB][Complete!]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Fetch Quest [NaNo2019] [Fantasy, Comedy, GxB]

#16 Post by nerupuff »

Even if you say that the GUI is basic, it looks pretty polished indeed! Definitely looks like a real game. ^^ Everything looks consistent with each other (sprites, BG, and GUI). Good job!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

cedes
Regular
itch: cedes

#17 Post by cedes »

This looks amazing! The art style and the humor is already getting to me, Can't wait to play it!

HitOrMissy
Regular
Tumblr: HitOrMissy

#18 Post by HitOrMissy »

I'm happy to hear people are looking forward to this!

A quick update: I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish by the end of the month. But! I think I'll be able to make it before the itch.io jam upload deadline on April 6th, so that's something.

Anyway, here are some (very sketchy!) previews of CGs I hope to be able to finish in time.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#19 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I am looking forward!!! And your GUI looks fine. I can't customize GUI to save my life lol. I can make bonus screens... but that's about it xD
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

nerupuff
Veteran

#20 Post by nerupuff »

These CG sketches! They give me life! I can't wait to see them coloured~ It's almost the end of March. Wishing you luck! I think you've done great so far! ^^
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

HitOrMissy
Regular

#21 Post by HitOrMissy »

End of March update! As i suspected, I wasn't able to finish before the month was out. But, I'm still on track to be done before the itch.io upload deadline. I just need some time to finish up my CGs. I should be able to upload the game in the next few days!

Incidentally, I'll probably be uploading the game without any sound. I just don't have the time. Maybe it's something I can come back to and fix afterwards though.

Here are some more screenshots!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#22 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Ooooh, lovin' how it looks!
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

HitOrMissy
Regular

Re: Fetch Quest [NaNo2019] [Fantasy, Comedy, GxB][Complete!]

#23 Post by HitOrMissy »

I was able to finish just in time! The game is now available for download: https://hitormissy.itch.io/fetch-quest

I'm so glad to be finished. I can't wait to play some of the other entries!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Kokoro Hane »

*zooms over to download*
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Kokoro Hane »

So I am pretty sure I got all of the endings.... I'll play a few more times to be sure (and to enjoy it all over again lol), but I LOVED IT! This was even better than I expected!
When you first showed off this game as a WiP, I was just expecting a parody-style fantasy story, I did not expect it to be a tabletop(?) roleplaying campaign this WHOLE TIME! So when you released it with the final full synopsis and I saw that screencap, the narration, the purposeful 4th wall breaking, I fell in love with it even more. These sort of campaigns look like a blast, and I feel so bad for Dan having to rush through this and is so pissed at Todd for making him take over his shift the following day haha.

I got two bad ends first haha, and then I got Todd's ending! I knew I'd like Todd the moment I saw him, but I love him even more experiencing his route. I actually wasn't sure how you land on routes and just landed on Todd's by mistaken simply by waking up early lol. Him wanting to make the campaign exciting by doing a bunch of bold or bad stuff is amusing, especially when he betrays your party. The kissing CG was cute, too!

Then there's Conner, sweet guy. I liked him a bit more when I played his route and his kind gestures. He had the most organized backstory, whilst it may be "cliche" at least eh cared for a moving story, unlike Todd that added a bunch of details you didn't need haha. And ohmygosh, him on bad ends being kidnapped by fangirls was brilliant.

Dan is a fun narrator. Period.

Also Flora is a great MC, she is a lot of fun to play and not a boring, blank-slate character. Her choices selection makes sense as a first time player, so anything you choose to me fits what she'd actually choose as a character rather than us being her, despite the second-person narrative (which to me just felt like Dan narrating anyway since this campaign was to introduce her).

Lastly, I love how Conner's design looks like he'd be a jackass but he's really sweet and plays a cleric, and Todd looks like he'd be the nice guy but is really "brutal" (gameplay wise) and plays pretty much a "bad" character haha. So I have to give props to that as well!
Forgive my long winded review, but I really enjoyed it ^^
I seriously am wondering if I should Let's Play! it, would be fun to read that wit out loud.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

HitOrMissy
Regular

#26 Post by HitOrMissy »

Ah, I love reading your opinions on all the characters!
I'm happy you liked Flora! I've always prefered MCs that are their own character to 'blank slate' ones. The way you described Connor as looking like a jerk but actually being sweet, while Todd seems like the nice guy but is really a bit devious is exactly what I was going for. Dan is my favorite character, so I'm glad you liked his narration!

When I first posted, I wasn't sure how overt I was going to be with the fact that they were playing a tabletop game. I had initially thought about it not being obvious until the very end, but as I got further into writing, I decided that wasn't going to be the case. I was a little worried that people wouldn't realize that was the theme, so I tried to be more and more obvious about it as I continued posting, without completely giving it away!

As for how you land on routes, the routes don't truly split until you enter the storehouse. Before that, to get either Connor or Todd's route, you need to go to the places they will be (getting up early and visiting the mess hall for Todd, getting up late and visiting the infirmary for Connor), and answer the majority of their 'affection' choices right (these choices start when they tell you their backstories). If you keep their affections even or answer too many of their affection choices wrong, you end up with the neutral end.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Oooh thanks for all that explanation!
Yessss, MCs with personality for the win!!! And Dan is awesome. You made him one of the most entertaining!
Ooh glad I caught onto your purposeful character designs! I thought that was brilliant because it really throws you off and goes to show looks can be deceiving ^^

Haha well I am glad you only slowly showed us it was a tabletop game. Honestly I feel dumb not catching on early when you posted their character charts and you literally see "DM's Notes" (albeit it the DM crossed out lol) but still, this concept was fresh and fun for a VN, and it even reminded me of a similar theme I had wanted to try for a story one of these days. Plus I had never done tabletop roleplaying, although I want to try (only RP'ing I am used to is like forum roleplay and of course video games), and this only makes campaigns look more fun! I can imagine myself running a ridiculous campaign 'cause that is kind of my style xD

Ahhh, thanks for explaining the route system, I somewhat figured as such and I actually enjoy how routes are pretty straightforward to get on so you can go back without a walkthrough. I also loved seeing what obviously would lead to a bad end would do. LOL when I had Todd play his kazoo I was laughing so hard at how the bandits reacted or when Flora tells Conner to burn the wall.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#28 Post by JBShields »

Great job! I'm impressed you made this all by yourself! Not easy to make a NaNo solo!

HitOrMissy
Regular

#29 Post by HitOrMissy »

Kokoro Hane wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:48 am Oooh thanks for all that explanation!
Yessss, MCs with personality for the win!!! And Dan is awesome. You made him one of the most entertaining!
Ooh glad I caught onto your purposeful character designs! I thought that was brilliant because it really throws you off and goes to show looks can be deceiving ^^

Haha well I am glad you only slowly showed us it was a tabletop game. Honestly I feel dumb not catching on early when you posted their character charts and you literally see "DM's Notes" (albeit it the DM crossed out lol) but still, this concept was fresh and fun for a VN, and it even reminded me of a similar theme I had wanted to try for a story one of these days. Plus I had never done tabletop roleplaying, although I want to try (only RP'ing I am used to is like forum roleplay and of course video games), and this only makes campaigns look more fun! I can imagine myself running a ridiculous campaign 'cause that is kind of my style xD

Ahhh, thanks for explaining the route system, I somewhat figured as such and I actually enjoy how routes are pretty straightforward to get on so you can go back without a walkthrough. I also loved seeing what obviously would lead to a bad end would do. LOL when I had Todd play his kazoo I was laughing so hard at how the bandits reacted or when Flora tells Conner to burn the wall.
The bad ends were some of my favorite parts to write, so I’m happy to hear you liked them!

JBShields wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:06 pm Great job! I'm impressed you made this all by yourself! Not easy to make a NaNo solo!
Thank you! It was certainly a huge undertaking, but enjoyable nonetheless.

HitOrMissy
Regular

#30 Post by HitOrMissy »

The game has been updated with music and sound. You no longer have to play it in silence, yay!