Farm Dating Sim [Romance x Slice of Life x Click n point]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Neeka
Veteran
Completed: Hearts & Hexes; Winter Flower
Projects: Hearts and Hexes; Our Mountain; The Last Clan: Tale of Oni
Organization: Ostrich Burger Productions
IRC Nick: Neeka
itch: neeka-of-obp

Farm Dating Sim [Romance x Slice of Life x Click n point]

#1 Post by Neeka »

The yet-to-be-named visual novel is a feel-good slice of life dating sim. You play as a former city mouse who recently bought an old farmhouse in the refreshing countryside. There you'll meet your neighbors who will help you learn the ropes, possibly finding love along the way.
Features:
-Custom player pronouns
-LGBTQ+ Friendly
-Relationship status bar
-Simple Inventory
-Stat raising (xp)
-Click-n-point mini games

Characters:

Goat Man: A man in his late 30's, he's still one of the liveliest characters around. He's strong headed, getting into trouble often. He fixes tools and furniture, especially skilled with woodworking. He may come off as gruff but means no harm.

Bull Man: A man in his mid 20's, he's in the prime of his youth-often feeling the need to show off his strength. Past an egocentric crust he's kind and considerate towards others. His stature may seem imposing but he wouldn't hurt a fly.

Rabbit Woman: A young woman who loves to stay active, constantly moving about. Stop her for a few minutes and she'll gladly boast about her organic vegetable garden. She may come off as a tad air-headed, but she doesn't let opinions slow her down!

Sheep: A timid young thing, they spend their days at the local bakery. Best not make loud noises or sudden movements so as not to scare them. With a mild personality they're easy to adore; they often show their concern by needless worrying. If they sense something is wrong they'll pop on over with a freshly made pie or bread for you.

Cow Woman: A woman with a large heart, she'll do anything to make sure everyone is happy and content. Due to her personality she comes off as simple minded, but don't let her looks fool you! She's rather intelligent and can smell a lie a million miles away. Best to tell her the truth and she'll love you forever in return.

This game is meant to be casual and fun, there are no bad endings! This thread will be updated regularly with new art + sneak peeks so feel free to keep an eye on it~

Questions for you: What do you think about the (fairly simple) premise? Are you interested in custom player pronouns? Do you think the 'mini-games' add something extra or should it remain just a sim?

Thanks so much for looking!
Last edited by Neeka on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Farm Dating Sim [Romance x Slice of Life x Click n point]

#2 Post by Zelan »

What do you think about the (fairly simple) premise?: I like it! It sounds cute, and while I do tend to really like games that take their bad ends seriously, I also love a nice feel-good game like this one.
Are you interested in custom player pronouns?: Yes, absolutely! I would love it if more games did this.
Do you think the 'mini-games' add something extra or should it remain just a sim?: Sometimes, minigames feel unnecessary in a VN, but I think since you've been planning to make it a gameplay-oriented VN since the beginning it will work well. c: My advice here would probably be not to make them too difficult, since this seems like it's supposed to be a pretty casual game.

I love the descriptions for the sheep and the rabbit!! Good luck on this game, I'm really, REALLY looking forward to playing it because I totally need a cute farming game in my life to wind down once in a while >.< I'm so busy!

azaraih
Regular
Projects: Alectrona: Space Party, Deadnettle Creek
Tumblr: azaraih
itch: azaraih

#3 Post by azaraih »

What do you think about the (fairly simple) premise?
This sounds so cute! I feel like it'd be fun and relaxing to play. I'm excited to see some art, the characters sound like they'll be adorable. I'm curious about what the old farmhouse looks like too, like is it really old and you have to fix it up, or is it already nice and cozy?

Are you interested in custom player pronouns?
Custom pronouns are great!

Do you think the 'mini-games' add something extra or should it remain just a sim?
I like mini-games, I feel like it's fun to switch up the gameplay a bit. It's better if they relate well to the story and aren't extremely difficult though (for example, if you have a short time limit to do something it's too stressful for me).
Image Image

Neeka
Veteran

#4 Post by Neeka »

Zelan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:49 pm What do you think about the (fairly simple) premise?: I like it! It sounds cute, and while I do tend to really like games that take their bad ends seriously, I also love a nice feel-good game like this one.
Are you interested in custom player pronouns?: Yes, absolutely! I would love it if more games did this.
Do you think the 'mini-games' add something extra or should it remain just a sim?: Sometimes, minigames feel unnecessary in a VN, but I think since you've been planning to make it a gameplay-oriented VN since the beginning it will work well. c: My advice here would probably be not to make them too difficult, since this seems like it's supposed to be a pretty casual game.

I love the descriptions for the sheep and the rabbit!! Good luck on this game, I'm really, REALLY looking forward to playing it because I totally need a cute farming game in my life to wind down once in a while >.< I'm so busy!
Thanks so much! The mini-games are more like activities if I'm being honest lol. There's no hard thinking or deduction needed as they're mostly common sense. The type of games you might find on a teen girl geared website I suppose.

Neeka
Veteran

#5 Post by Neeka »

azaraih wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:41 pm What do you think about the (fairly simple) premise?
This sounds so cute! I feel like it'd be fun and relaxing to play. I'm excited to see some art, the characters sound like they'll be adorable. I'm curious about what the old farmhouse looks like too, like is it really old and you have to fix it up, or is it already nice and cozy?

Are you interested in custom player pronouns?
Custom pronouns are great!

Do you think the 'mini-games' add something extra or should it remain just a sim?
I like mini-games, I feel like it's fun to switch up the gameplay a bit. It's better if they relate well to the story and aren't extremely difficult though (for example, if you have a short time limit to do something it's too stressful for me).
Thanks for your feedback! The mini-games will be really simple and add a little more life to the game, though the main focus is on the character relationships. The last thing we want is to add a feature that's stressful! (I feel the same way about timed features myself lol) As for the farmhouse it'd be great to have the player fix it up, though it may have to be something for the full game if we can't fit it into the demo.

Neeka
Veteran

#6 Post by Neeka »

Updated with character sketches/concepts!

TakafumiSakagami
Regular
Completed: By Your Side, Yoshioka
Projects: Aious ~Proof of Concept~, Aidos
Organization: Kyacchi22
Deviantart: takafumisakagami

#7 Post by TakafumiSakagami »

Ooh, those are some nice concepts! I like how unique they all look. Different face shapes and body styles across the board.

Neeka
Veteran

#8 Post by Neeka »

Everyone has been working hard for the game. Here's a list of updates and some preview art!

-Soundtrack added
-Characters flat colored
-Backgrounds sketched and are in wip
-GUI completed!

Example of in-game looks:

Player profile will go in the box to the left. The yellow star will fill as you gain more XP.

Background sketch (By Level5pencil):

Neeka
Veteran

#9 Post by Neeka »

Added final version of Bunny!~

Neeka
Veteran

#10 Post by Neeka »

Added final version of Goat~

Neeka
Veteran

#11 Post by Neeka »

While we were unable to release the demo for the jam we are not abandoning the project by any means, so I will post a new thread in regular WIP. Thanks for your love and support~