Monochrome Blues [Slice of Life | Psychological Horror]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
LIZM
Regular

Monochrome Blues [Slice of Life | Psychological Horror]

#1 Post by LIZM »

Happy second half of NaNo2019~!
I'm a little late to the party this year, having started my game on March 6, but things have been going well and I'm super excited for people to play it at the end of the month.

Monochrome Blues is a slice of life / psychological horror story about an artist who got stuck in a rut due to a tragic loss. She starts working with a group of eccentric children who may be the key to bringing her passion back - but little does she know that to some of these children, her life may be the key to something else...

You'll be taking the role of preschool teacher Maja, a kind and caring but somewhat quirky young woman. Although she has an established personality, you'll be able to make several choices throughout the game to comment on your tiny students' drawings and teach them some (more or less) valuable life lessons.

Image Image Image Image
Along with your supervisor, you'll be in charge of the five four kids in the 'sunflower' group: Nova, Noel, Felix, Luke and... Nope, that's all of them. They're as cute as can be, but you can't shake off the feeling that something isn't quite right --

Something unreal?
Something surreal?
Something real?

Your choices affect which conclusion you come to, and only one of them leads to the truth.

Halfway point progress:
Concept/Story outline - 100% [LIZM, Mango]
Script - ~11k words, with more to come! [LIZM]
Sprites - 75% [LIZM]
CGs - 50% [LIZM]
Children's drawings - 80% [Terakai, a_diglett, Mango, anonymous, Tia Sunshine, LIZM]
Backgrounds - 60% [Quandial]
UI - 20% [LIZM]
Music - 0% [Announcing soon~!]
Coding - 30% [LIZM]

> Twitter
> Discord server
> itch.io [soon]

azaraih
Regular
Projects: Alectrona: Space Party, Deadnettle Creek
Tumblr: azaraih
itch: azaraih

Re: Monochrome Blues [Slice of Life | Psychological Horror]

#2 Post by azaraih »

This looks really cute! I want to play a game where I get to comment on children's drawings haha. The creepy surreal part of it makes me really want to know what's going on, especially when everything else seems normal and happy. Good luck with your Nano, I'm looking forward to more updates!
Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

This looks super cute!! The psychological horror tag (and the extra child...?) are making me a bit nervous because honestly I would absolutely play a game where I'm a preschool teacher encouraging kids to draw without much else to it, haha. ^_^ I'll definitely still give this a go when it's finished, though! I'm very curious about what's really going on here.

Wight
Regular
Completed: A Transient Experiment
itch: wight

#4 Post by Wight »

I think it's really cute with the art as well as the concept, definitely catches my interest. I'd still be fine with it if it was just slice of life, but the Psychological Horror is also really luring me in. I wonder what sort of comments can be made for the drawings...
Oh hey, I recognize a couple of those names credited for the children's drawings, so I guess I really have to check this out!

Good luck with this! I'm also excited to be able to play this!