The Second Chance [Fantasy, Adventure, Romance] [BxG]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
CaptainTenno

The Second Chance [Fantasy, Adventure, Romance] [BxG]

#1 Post by CaptainTenno »

Hello everyone,

My name is Tenno, im an introverted writer. Which means I write alot but never publish anything. Well, not so long ago I decided to change that.

So, Ladies, Gentlemens and Others, I hereby want to present you to my first visual novel, called:

The Second Chance
Alternate titles:
Life[Re]Start
Samir The Bandit And The Cursed Grove

Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Romance

VN Type:
Episodes, branching, multiple endings

Distribution model: First episode will be free. The model of the following episodes will largely depend on 1st episode reception

Synopsis: A modern day teenage criminal dies in 2019 Earth, but awakes in fantasy world with elves, swords, magicks and such. The only explanation he was given is a note attached to his sport suit: "Second Chance".

What will he do from now - will he exploit this world to fulfill his selfish desires, or will he strive to become a better man, changing himself along with his new world? Who will he ally with, and who will be his enemies? Will he even make it to the nearby town, or just end up cold in a roadside ditch? The choice is his (yours).

Key features:

Realistic MC

You are not a OJS, definitely not a soggy soyboy. Neither a "humble hero", nor a casanova incarnate whose only troughts are on women.
You are a young criminal from modern Europe, transferred to a fantasy world. Its not you who are trapped in this world with the locals. It is the locals who are trapped in their world with you...but they are yet to find out.

Highly detailed and realistic fantasy world

Ostia is a giant continent with its own history, nations, races, languages, magicks and customs. There is zero things that are in the way they are because "plot demands it" or "no reason". Everything have a logic, premise and consequece. And thousands of different side characters, altrough they might not have art even in final game - but they will have deep complex personalities and memorable interactions with MC's.

Also, important to note that I do not intent to cut any edges in realism. That means yes, characters make camp, keep watches, have to procure food and other supplies. Local population react to things NOT as would people of 21th century react (that thing I hate the most about most modern fantasy VN's), but react as a person of their status and their world would. Don't expect a peasant to offer you coffee or noble having a casual chat with a complete stranger.

Your choices matter - introducing the Karma system

Samir came to this world unrepentant and kinda empty shill. What will become of him - is up to you to decide.

There are 2 general systems:
1)Relationship score with each of the girls (the standard one)
2)Karma
While the first one is pretty elaborate, the second one I should explain.

As Samir is sent to this world as a "Second Chance", he can use this opportunity to become a better man. So every of his actions is judged accordingly by ?????. There is more to this, but generally its as you would expect - do good things, be nice, be prudent - gain karma. Be rude, kill people unprovoked, be a dork - lose karma.

Also, Karma system will directly impact which ending will you be getting. More on that later.

Total there will be 17 endings - 3 for each girl, 3 loner, 2 ???
Just please note - that endings will be after last episode, first episode will not conclude with en ending except bad ends, but it will remember your choices (I dont know how to do it yet, but it will be implemented on release)

Bad ends

Hell yeah, bad ends!I always dreamed to have them in my game and honestly don't understand why so few VN's use that feature.

Being impolite to an armed mercenary? Bam. Wasted.
Sassying a noble? Rot in prison.
Eat suspicious plants - ??? (VERY bad end, and no - its not poison)
Get too drunk in cheap tawern - get manraped, legs chopped off, and be forced to beg as a cripple for your new master for the rest of you life.

All of these are game overs. Ofc, you can save/load, yet it kinda educational I think (if you ever be stuck in a medieval fantasy world by yourself IRL, knowledge of such outcomes might help greatly)

And most importantly - they are technically very easy to add, I just need to make dead end route of 1 screen and several lines (most times don't even need different BG) and conclude it with ending screen.

What is the current progress?

Script - 95%. I fully remade my novel into a scenario during this February. But, as I code these lines in, I suspect some cuttings will be necessary, so that all lines and choices fit into the RenPy UI (some are too long).
Art: - 30%. I managed to procure main characters and some backgrounds. Thats a start, but more work ahead - I need supporting characters, and even more BG's. And most importantly - to SOMEHOW make them to look as if they (at least, in general) are drawn in one style.
Code - 3%. I just started putting my scenario into code. For me, this NanOReno mostly will be about coding, coding and...coding.

Which part of it do I plan to achieve during NaNo2019, and what will I do afterwards?

I plan to dedicate myself to coding, while ocasionally providing additional infos on world, lore and characters. Since its already written, It won't distract me from coding. Additionally, I maybe will draw short manga stories featuring characters (not directly related to plot Second Chance), to make you more familiar with their personalities.

On the desired achievements till the end of March, there are 2 possibilities

1)I manage to somehow finish episode 1 - then I release it
2)I do not manage to finish ep 1 by the end of march - the I continue work on episode, but release a short demo-episode, a spin-off of main plot, featuring 2 of main characters - to give you an idea what to expect from game

Meet the main characters

Samir Johnson, high school student, petty criminal

Hometown: Bournemouth (maybe will change be London in final build, its not crucial to the character)
Race: Human, Dillegoi
Weapon: Curved dagger, throwing darts

"I didndu nothing wrong"
Samir

Backstory
You are Samir Johnson. A son of immigrant family, British high schooler. In school, you're not a very diligent student, yet no failure either. You have money(yet few knew where it was coming from), are not a bully and generally nice person, popular with girls and respected by boys.
But few knows of your other side. After school, you hang out with local thugs, often mature adults, participating in their shady businesses - from selling drugs to burglaries and assaults. But as the saying goes, "crime doesn't pay, unless you are at the top of its food chain" - and you are about to learn it the hard way...
Framed for rape you didn't commit, disowned by family and despised by former friends, your life goes downhill. Finally, you "victim"'s family tracks you and kill you before police can arrest you. You die...and awake under an unfamiliar sky, with a note attached to your sport suit - "Second Chance"...

Looks & Dressing preferences
You are tall, dark-haired young man. You are 18, but you look a few years older. You are quite fit for your age, but more athletic than muscular. Most girls consider you to be very handsome.
You have white skin, but minor details of your facial hair and skin subtexture gives away your middle eastern/balkan origins quite clearly. You prefer simple but effective clothing style. Sports suit from Earth is quite a good clothing by Ostia's standarts, so you stick to it.

Personality
You lived your young life to the fullest. Slept with girls, drinking, gambling, shaking down your classmates outside of school...never you felt any remorse or guilt for any of these.
You are never lowered yourself to stuff like videogaming, books or movies, cause they are for tools.
Because of such, you have a bit narrow worldview, but what you DO have - is street smarts, ablity to adapt your behaviour to different situations, and ability to not feel shame or guilt for whatever you commit.
In everyday situations, you are straightforward and pushy (if you ever have met chavs, gopnicks, ghetto blacks, or similar types in other countries, you'll know what kind of personality Im talking about). But because of your handsome looks and reputation of cool guy, it never got you any trouble.
As of Second Chance start, you will be as blunt as a mace. Yet over the course of the game, your personality will evolve rapidly, depending on your choices.

Silventhiel, the princess of Adloren, aspirant of Celeborn

Hometown: Adloren Grove
Race: Elf, definitely
Weapon: Bow & Easnadh(ceremonial elven dagger)

"A duty of elven ruler is only to herself and elven race prosperity as a whole"
??? Silventhiel of Celeborn

Backstory
The elven-princess on the Great Mission, to planta new groove and become its new queen. Unfortunately, orcs attack, killing all her people, and she was miraclously saved only because of some idiot human in strange clothes suddenly appeared, distracting surviving orcs and allowing her to grab her bow and shoot them. So now she still have her mission, but only one human slave instead of elven settlers caravan. Well, still better then nothing, eh?

She has gold hair and pointy ears, typical elf. Yet her height is shorter than usual for her race. She likes to wear ridiculous looking dresses - yet they are more efficient than they looks, being individually tailored to suit any situation.
Other than that, her body is typical for an elf.

Personality
On the outside, she appear charming, polite and even gullible. But thats only the mask, for her true self - is calculating, harsh, cunning and even vile centennager (elf older than 10, but younger then 100 years - their equivalent of human teenagers). Moreover, her behaviour in general is not really elvish...but how could Samir tell, being a new guy in an alien world?

Brienne "The Imperial *itch", the female mercenary

Hometown: Bogmire
Race: Human, Imperial
Weapon: Halberd, short sword, bow, pocket crossbow

"Fresh from the mire, mercenary for hire!"
Brienne's advertisement

Backstory
Daughter of a veteran imperial soldier, who settled in a village of Bogmire, after retiring from the war. He always dreamt of a son, who he could pass his martial knowledge too, but gods blessed him and his wife only with one daughter. So he had to train her instead.
Female warriors are not uncommon in Arda world, but almost all of them are nobles, the only women among soldiers - are camp followers. So it was...complicated for Brienne to find permanent employment. And now she sitting alone in a bar, using her sword to casually peck the guts of yet another horny drunk, and thinking over her grim opportunities if she will not be able to find suitable employer soon...

Tall, well-built redhead, with agreessive posture. Have trouble hiding emotions. Her hands and body are rough - she is no stranger to camp duties aswell as fighting with weapons.
Wears heavy armor.

Personality
Brienee is a mercenary, techincally - a sword for hire, but as a daughter of a soldier, she behaves more like imperial soldier (hence her nom-de-guerre "Imperial". Those who dare add the second part, tend to not live long). She is professional, very cautious and sometimes overreacting to routine situations. Actually a decent fighter, but vulnerable to sneak attacks and generaly attacks from behind.
She also is a bit socially awkward and, deispite being in several merc companies, have not had any real experience with men. Ouch.

Katarina de la Fuente, senior year wizard student

Hometown: Imperial City
Race: Human, Imperial
Weapon: Universal magick, magick staff, ritual dagger

"Magick is science. Every "supernatural" event out here has some logical, rational explanation. If it is not, it means only "not yet". Only fools and barbarians think otherwise"
Bacalar de la Fuente, in article "Practical application of various magickal sciences", for Empire Herald

Backstory
Before the last year of their studies, students of Imperial Academy of Magick Arts (IAMA) are allowed an one year leave to travel the world and learn to use their magick. This is called "Ultimate Field Study".Students are expected to travel the kingdom or even beyond, exploring ruins and forests. Of course nobody expect anything groundbreaking from them. A discovery of a new insect species, finding a magickal artifact or helping soldiers to exterminate some monsters - thats what generally excepted. But travel beyond the Empire Hearthlands is dangerous, and taverns are not always present. To traverse the wilds, students need to travel in groups OR hire mercenaries, if their families can afford it.
However, Katarina is not very popular among her fellow students...so no one wants to partner with her for the Ultimate Field Stidy. And neither she have any money, coming from a family of an impoverished noble and a former port whore.
So she just spending her time at the Royal Bathouse, selling contraception charms to visiting nobles and merchants, and spending all profits on wine and questionable literature. Honestly, it is what expected of such trash as a student who decided to major in Universal Magic....

Medium height, brown hair. Also seems to have flat chest - but its only looks that way because of tightly-knit IAMA uniform, which she always wears.

Personality
Katarina is a know-it-all, narcissistic and generaly toxic personality. Scientific magick fanatic, hates superstitions and any religious persons with passion. Has a very dark and offensive sense of humour. Likes to argue even on minor issues. She could have been classified as a Tsundere...but this one seems to have almost no "Dere" part.
And there is another one about her - despite she is rumored to be one of the best casters of her study group, yet - for some reason, she is hestitant on using magick unless there is no other choice. Her fellow students think its because high level Universal magick is so much trash, that she is just ashamed of showing its uselesness.
Also, she hates dogs - and dogs hate her back, barking and attacking almost on sight, even if unprovoked.

Mizuki Hosokawa, exposed assasin

Hometown: ???
Race: Human, Ashenari
Weapon: Dual daggers, throwing darts

"...My name is Mizuki Hosokawa."
Mizuki Hosokawa

Backstory
Mizuki comes from Ashenari - the peoples of Ashen Islands. Many of them settled in the Empire during the Age of Discovery. She is a spy, hired by the local lord to spy on Silventhiel's mission, as Celeborn grove site is located in his lands. Yet she blunders and is caught by Brienne and Katarina. Under fear of exectuion she tells of her employer, and asks for a permission to serve Silventhiel. To everybody's surprise, the elven leader welcomes the spy to the grop, despite everyone (especially Brienne's protest).

Dark-haired ashenari. She is shorter than average human, but because she wears platformed boots, she appear as if she had normal height. She has thin, fragile body, definitely not tainted by hard work or martial training.

Personality
Mizuki is quiet, not very talkative. Can't cook, poor at camp duties, also a very mediocre fighter, even loses to Katarina in training battle. Yet she posses unique ability to blend to the surrounding, and also can run silent, climb sharp rocks, walls, and pick locks. She also speaks 6 languages - Common Imperial, Ashenari, Orcish, Dark Elvish, Sul-masang and Elvish. Also can read The Ancient Script.
She is also very good at hiding emotions. Its impossible to tell what she thinking or what her intentions are at the moment. A woman of mystery indeed.

The World of Ostia (A Very Crude Representation But For Now It Is Like That)

(The map is clickable, click to see In normal resolution)

A Brief Ostia History Lesson by substitute teacher de la Fuente

Ancient Times
Long before First Empire was founded, Ostia was home to highly advanced civilisation. There is little knowledge about them now, and only ruins remain. If you make it to your senior study years, you will have a chance (more like an obligation really) to go and explore some of these ruins. You might even find some that haven't been picked clean yet (I doubt that).

The Ancients used language that is totally unrelated to Common Imperial or any other language spoken in the modern world - The Ancient Script. For this exam, you only need to remember the title. If you actually interested in learning Ancient Script, pay a visit to The Scriptorium.

The First Empire
Elves were the first of the "younger races" to achieve civilisation after ancients decline. They looked down upon others, less advanced species - including humans. They were keeping us and the others as slaves, battle tralls...or even as livestock. Their influence spread at this time far beyond their groves, but cannot cover every corner of the continent.

In this corners, rebels gather. To free humans and other races from the elves yoke, Goldaborg, a mighty warlord began to consolidate lands, freeing the slaves and slaughtering the elves. After his rebels defeated main elven army at Rormodan Crossings, killing many of the eldest elves, and set ablaze five out of 20 elvarie groves, the peace have been achieved.
According to this agreement, elves from now will confine themselves to their groves, abolish slavery and provide some of their secrets to help advance technology and magick of the lesser races, in exchange, the new state of humans and other races, will allow them to live. Kinda a good deal for the pointy-ears, IMO.

Thus, The First Empire was founded. For hundreds of years, the Goldaborgen dynasty ruled the land in peace. However, as time passed, regions of the empire have developed their own noble elites, who grew more arrogant and independent with each day. Other races, although having full citizenship in the Empire, were unhappy about human dominance - and racial tensions began to heat up. Southern trade cities, because of ability to trade with the Southern Continent, grew so powerfull economically. At some time, only Port Aquileon's annual income was greater then the rest of the Empire combined! Also, monsters begin to appear from ancients ruins in large numbers - it was a disaster of really massive scale, the problems we experience with monsters nowadays are nothing in comparison.

So, when the Santander Goldaborgen died childless, and his nephews and brothers began war for succesion, the Empire collapsed over a few months. Dark times of uncertainty have come...

Warring Kingdoms Period (also known as Time of Troubles)

Empire broke out into pieces, and they were at each other throats for about 120 cycles. The successor kingdoms were the following...

[Dev notice]
I have many stories that develop in this timeframe, and there really A LOT of stuff happened in this time period - but, they don't really fit a visual novel, more fitting an actual RPG or even Strategy, so I don't really go into details here.
The entire story of "The One" and the "War of Humans and Gods" also happends in this timeframe.

What you need to know, is that this troubling times came to an end, when warlord Brutus Wadoma, one of The One's companions (and the only one who didn't Ascend with him), united the lands once again and became emperor, taking name "Maximillian", also called "Maximillian The Great", and from this time, all his successors and family members bear dynasty name "Maximillian". This dynasty rule to this day (you DO know that, being Imperial Citizens, do you?)

Also important to note - during this time, Orcs were excluded from races that are tolerated in the Empire and its successor states, and were severely genocied, while the remains exiled to the Northern Mountains. Well who cares about Orcs, really? Savages they are, and savages they will remain. But this question will 99.9% be in the exam.

And, there is another one. I probably shouldn't tell you that but...in Union historiography, this period is called "Age of Discovery", as their whole nation was founded on the chaos in the Empire and picking after it. DON'T mention it to prof. Garai on exam. You will get bad grades guaranteed, for a sensitive Imperial person he is.

The New Empire and concurrent events

Our New Empire is currently at its peak power. Our Emperor Sardonius is at the dead bed, but his eldest son - Flavius Honorius, in his 40s, succesfull commander of Imperial Army, a charitable and simple in life person. He is highly popular by nobility, respected by other world leaders, and idolized by commoners. Empire future looks bright. Yes, there are increased number of monsters, The Union leaders getting more and more arrogant, and these pointy-ear bastards seems to be up to something. But Empire will prevail (yes, tell that to prof. Garai on the exam, guaranteed to boost your score cause he is a fanatical patriot)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion

Please feel free to give any feedback, will be much appreciated. Especially feedback from programmers - Im a writer and I generally know what im lacking to get a decent art (money to order comissions from a decent artist), but in programming features like Choices import or Karma system being alongside with standart reputations system - I really would appreciate any advice you can spare ^^
Last edited by CaptainTenno on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainTenno

Re: The Second Chance [Fantasy, Adventure, Romance] [BxG]

#2 Post by CaptainTenno »

Also, one more thing. I have many more stuff on the world of Ostia's lore and core concepts that I wanted to post there...

But looking at how much of a text it already took, Im thinking if this will be necessary to post these concepts? Will it be interesting to you? And dont worry its all already written, I only need to edit it into proper shape - so totally will not distract me from coding

here's a poll - please vote what you think of this idea:
http://poal.me/wywfo8