Dear Devere [NaNo2020] [Historic/Romance/Mystery/Epistolary] [COMPLETED]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Re: Dear Devere [NaNo2020] [Historic/Romance/Mystery/Epistolary] [COMPLETED]

#16 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Hello! I just got done playing "Dear Devere" and wanted to give you my thoughts! (Plus I can protect things in spoiler tags at Lemmasoft haha).

First off, I want to say you did a wonderful job in making this such a magical experience. The designs of the envelopes were beautiful. The music was enchanting and peaceful. It really helped set the (for the most part) peaceful atmosphere of the story. And the voice acting.... OH THE VOICE ACTING... this was the most beautiful icing on the cake for me. You chose such excellent actors to play the parts of Angela and Devere. Not only were their voices pleasant to listen to, the way they read the letters felt so natural. I honestly felt like someone reading a letter, with the voice of the person whom penned it in my head. Their inflections matched the personality and what was being portrayed in their writings. It felt so poetic and romantic.
The sudden mystery that began was a nice touch. The sweet atmosphere changing to a possibly dark and slightly gruesome crime case really added a bit of intensity. First off, Cailin's character really pissed me off haha, as I am sure was meant to be. Another nice touch was how you pretty much put the player in the story, as if we were the ones investigating this case by reading these letters. When the choices came near the end, I admittedly got the bad end first, and as described of the wolf's sad howling you would regret your decision forever, I so did haha. But I was curious what would happen if you tried to look for Miss Bard, which obviously didn't end well. So when I went the route where you say "there's no enough clues" and burn the list, it was satisfying. That bit about reading letters and feeling like you know so much about someone you never met, you totally did that for us the player that are reading these romantic letters. You will truly never know them as it should be... nice touch! And I liked the epilogue. I am happy Angela and Devere got a happy ending.
It was a fantastic piece that I can tell had a lot of love put into it. The music, the letter designs, the dialogue, AND THE ASTONISHING VOICE ACTING--tell your VAs they are splendid! I loved this piece. Thank you for making a really lovely, relaxing, and mysterious entry for NaNoRenO! Congrats on finishing it! Honestly, I personally have no complaints, other than 2 very minor things; one typo lol, and a couple of Devere's letter readings the volume was a tad bit lower than it should have been. Other than that, it's nearly perfect. It's definitely a piece I'd like to read again sometime. ^^
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#17 Post by Katy133 »

Update: Version 1.1 of Dear Devere has now been released!

You can read about the details of the update on Itchio: Version 1.1 Update.

And thank you to everyone who has sent me comments on Dear Devere. I am filled with joy!
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#18 Post by Katy133 »

I've now released an article on Itchio: Behind the Scenes of Dear Devere.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!