Red-Handed Robin [GxB] [Adventure] [Romance] [Gaslamp Fantasy] [NaNo2020] [COMPLETE]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
xxmissarichanxx
Regular
Completed: Froot Basket Valentine, Devious
Projects: After-Party Chemistry, The Salaryman
Tumblr: xxmissarichanxx
Deviantart: xxmissarichanxx
itch: xxmissarichanxx

Re: Red-Handed Robin [GxB] [Adventure] [Romance] [Gaslamp Fantasy] [NaNo2020]

#16 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

GOOD LUCK MISSY! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DRAW THE TRAIN! DONT LET THE TRAIN DRAW YOU !!! *strong arm emoji x3*

also, i'm so excited for the world you're creating~

HitOrMissy
Regular
Tumblr: HitOrMissy

#17 Post by HitOrMissy »

xxmissarichanxx wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:57 pm GOOD LUCK MISSY! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DRAW THE TRAIN! DONT LET THE TRAIN DRAW YOU !!! *strong arm emoji x3*
Thank you! No trains are going to stand in my way >:3

It's Wren's turn! He got a makeover, and he's looking a little scruffier now. Of course, he still looks like an upstanding man of the law... right?

That's all I have for today, because its my birthday! If you'll excuse me, I have to go drink appletinis and ignore the fact that I'm practically ancient in internet terms.

meowworkstm
Regular
Projects: The Riddlemaster, A Cottage Story
Tumblr: ladymeowsith
Deviantart: Meowworkstm

#18 Post by meowworkstm »

I really loved FetchQuest so I'm definitely keeping tabs on this one! Your progress is a delight to read/look at and the detail on Wren's hands specifically turned out so well??

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#19 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Jay looks like one handsome man. Wren is lookin' fine as well. I love his ponytail
Btw, hope you're having a fabulous birthday!! ^^
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

HitOrMissy
Regular

#20 Post by HitOrMissy »

meowworkstm wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:02 pm I really loved FetchQuest so I'm definitely keeping tabs on this one! Your progress is a delight to read/look at and the detail on Wren's hands specifically turned out so well??
Thanks so much! Wren's right hands in both poses were done freehand (ha!), but his left hands were traced from pictures of my own.

Kokoro Hane wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 pm Btw, hope you're having a fabulous birthday!! ^^
Thanks! I had a great birthday :) My husband cooked and cleaned for me, and then we watched anime.

I'm just now noticing that his coat needs a section behind his legs. I'll have to fix that.

I wasn't super happy with wren's lines, but i like his sprite a lot more with color. Now the base sprites are all done! Everyone still needs expressions, but I'm hoping to get that done in 3 days or less.

I might need a fourth sprite for another character, but I'm not sure yet. I think I'll move on to the backgrounds first and see how the writing goes.

Backgrounds are my weakest point... a large bg can easily take me an entire week or more to do. I have a bad habit of getting caught up in details and re-drawing sections over and over. I'm hoping the time restraint helps me stay loose and move on more easily.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#21 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Wren looks quite fabulous! I agree, after you added color, I like his design better too! I really like that thinking pose ^^
His expression has an air of suspicion yet an odd playfulness to it. Probably because he knows Robin and perhaps can read her better than she thinks? Haha.
Thanks! I had a great birthday :) My husband cooked and cleaned for me, and then we watched anime.
Awww, that was sweet of him to do! Happy to hear you had a great birthday, and watching anime is an awesome way to enjoy it! You've worked hard, you deserved a well earned birthday break! ^^
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#22 Post by Heiden »

This looks like it's going to be a really fun game! Love seeing the progress updates too.

Looking forward to see how this turns out! :D
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#23 Post by Zelan »

... I'm really curious now what anime you watched lmao.

The sprites are looking really good so far, I love your crisp style!

meowworkstm
Regular
Projects: The Riddlemaster, A Cottage Story
Tumblr: ladymeowsith
Deviantart: Meowworkstm

#24 Post by meowworkstm »

HitOrMissy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:25 pm Thanks so much! Wren's right hands in both poses were done freehand (ha!), but his left hands were traced from pictures of my own.
No wonder!! They both match so i'd say that's pretty impressive haha

HitOrMissy
Regular

#25 Post by HitOrMissy »

Kokoro Hane wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:58 pm Awww, that was sweet of him to do!
Yeah, he's a keeper :)

Heiden wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:16 pm This looks like it's going to be a really fun game! Love seeing the progress updates too.

Looking forward to see how this turns out! :D
Thank you! I'll try not to disappoint.

Zelan wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:45 pm ... I'm really curious now what anime you watched lmao.
We caught up on Chihayafuru and Haikyuu. Chihayafuru is my absolute favorite anime! I recommend it to anyone who likes slow burn romance and sports anime.

I got Robin's expressions done! Here are some of her more extreme ones. Not sure if I'm going to keep that shadowy overlay in the bottom right.

I usually handle expressions by making a variety of mouths, eyes, and eyebrows, and use the layered image function in ren'py. That makes it easy to have a ton of flexibility with just a few assets.

I used the same way of building expressions in my game last year, but I didn't know about layered images. So each combo of eyes/mouth/eyebrows I used were their own sprite displayed on top of the characters base sprite... that was waaaaaay more work than I needed to do, but I didn't know any better x_x

----------

I spent about 15ish minutes sketching up my first bg idea. I feel like it's too crowded/close though, so I'm going to scrap it before it takes up too much of my time. I figured I'd post it anyway.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I absolutely love Robin's evil grin expression! Wow.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

HitOrMissy
Regular

#27 Post by HitOrMissy »

I got a late start today, so after writing, I decided to skip sprite work.

Instead, here's a much better sketch for the first background!

I'd say that's looking pretty train-like, and it's much less claustrophobic than the last sketch.

So far, its looking like I'll need 3-5 BGs. Thank god for Clip Studio's perspective ruler...

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Kokoro Hane »

That is a nice lookin' train!
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

HitOrMissy
Regular

#29 Post by HitOrMissy »

Jay's expressions are done! Here are a few I particularly like. That first one is pretty much sums up Jay's internal monologue on the train ride.

-----------

More train BG progress. This is going to be the least used BG, so I'm trying not to get too attached and over-render it, but I like the way it's turning out.

----------

In the writing department, the story is going in a slightly different direction that I thought it would, which is usually how these things go. I'll have to update the description when I'm closer to being done.

We're nearly half way through now! Am I half way done? Nope! _(:'3」∠)_

HitOrMissy
Regular

#30 Post by HitOrMissy »

Got the lines done for my first bg. It turned out better than I thought it would

----------
And here's some of Wren's expressions!

Wren is generally friendly and congenial, so he's popular with the other passengers on the train. Robin has to wonder though... why isn't he using his real name?