Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [Comedy][Action][GxB][NaNoRenO2020+][COMPLETED]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [Comedy][Action][GxB][NaNoRenO2020+][COMPLETED]

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

1555579173.png
SYNOPSIS

Annelise is a seemingly normal high school student with the convenient oddity of her parents never being home. In fact, it's been an entire year since she last saw them in person. But after receiving a mysterious locket that her friend Sora found, things start to take a bizarre turn when a shota-looking butler pledging his unwavering loyalty appears on Annelise's doorstep!

Oh, and evidently (according to him anyway) she's not really called Annelise, but Lady Valance.... from another world. Yup....

MAIN CAST

Annelise [CV: Trina Deuhart]
ann.jpg
Our heroine! Sassy, curious, pouty.

Noah [CV: Shakyra Dunn]
Noah.jpg
Annelise's loyal butler who will swiftly take down all enemies that try to harm her--and still have time to serve tea & cookies!

Sora [CV: Dexter Hackley]
so.jpg
Annelise's best friend. He knows Annelise likes interesting stuff, so he gave her a locket he found to preoccupy her time.

Jason [CV: Will Engel]
jas.jpg
Another friend of Annelise. He gets bored easy, and can often slack off. But he's really fun to hang out with!

Emily [CV: Paige Martin]
em.jpg
An upperclassman that has been talking to Annelise lately. She is kind and sweet.

OTHER CHARACTERS

Mrs. Sato [CV: Kat A Peterson]
teacher.png
The caring teacher. Also Sora's mother.

Villains [CVs: Nick Chang, Samuel Parish, Elizabeth Novotny, Xuan Vinh Huynh]
enemies.jpg
Various villains appear to try and kill Lady Valance. Each one only appears briefly in a swift-ending battle. But it's an intense, swift ending battle.

??? [CV: Patrick Mealey]
sill.jpg
Mysterious voice, who is he?

ART CREDITS FOR PRE-MADE SPRITES BEING USED
Kainico, Ran, and Crescent Moon Arpeggio

GOALS & PROGRESS

FINAL WORDCOUNT: 16,005 words
TARGET WORDCOUNT: 10k words
OVERDRIVE: Do not exceed 12k (but I did...)

Outline - DONE!
Writing - DONE!
Voice Acting - DONE!
Event CGs - DONE!
Cover Art - DONE!
Chibi Art - DONE!
Pre-Made Assets - COLLECTED
Image Placement - DONE!
Music Placement - DONE!
Voice Application - DONE!
OPENING THEME TRANSLATION - DONE!
OP&ED SEQUENCE - DONE!

THE TEAM
Writer/Script: Kokoro Hane
GUI: Sayumi101
VAs: (look at individual characters)
CG Artist: LiamWinterdale
Chibi Artist: EmbraceofDestiny
OP Theme Translation: komehara

DEV NOTES 03/03/2020
So I'm making a thing. This thing. I've learnt a lot from jamming over the years, trial and error, success and failure, what I did wrong and what I did right. And at last, I finally know what I am doing now lol. Therefore, I am super EXCITED for this project. I actually have a set word limit. And I outlined the project from start to finish, something I've never really done for my visual novel projects.

Everything has been going according to schedule, as the first week is dedicated to writing! That way, VAs can receive their scripts no later than March 8th! To make the project fun and low stress, the backup plan is if voicework or CGs/chibi are late for any reason ('cause life happens), it can always be added into the game in an updated version 2. So the game will still get released with just sprites, writing, and music if all else fails, so no one needs to feel rushed or pressured~

I am having a blast writing this story. It's just so much fun, and due to its more comedic nature, I am able to just let loose and not worry so much. Rather than being a source of stress, it's been quite the motivator and stress reliever. It's good to have plan! Don't let the "large" cast fool you.... the villains all have short parts lol.

Jams are meant to be fun, and we're all gonna have fun this year! Let's kick off the first NaNoRenO of the decade right!! ^o^

Oh. how did I conceive this idea?
Well, browsing one of my favorite pre-made asset websites, I came across shota boy wielding katana. And the concept was born from that one picture. Since I've mainly been focused on writing comedic JRPG-style games, well.... naturally...it was gonna cross over into my VNs.
Last edited by Kokoro Hane on Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 17 times in total.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

LiamWinterdale
Regular
Completed: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! (NaNoRenO 2020, CG / Cover + Title Logo Artist)
Projects: BR ( WiP ), HC1 ( WiP ), SWaTSB ( WiP ), SD ( WiP ), H ( WiP )

Re: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [Comedy][Action][GxB][NaNoRenO2020]

#2 Post by LiamWinterdale »

Oooh~ so that's how the idea was conceived! Nice! xDD And oooh that mystery character >v>)b

Anyways~ hey, there! I'm Liam Winterdale, the CG artist for the project (yes, I didn't add a space in my username and I regretted it ever since *sighs*). It's an honor to see my name in here. I'll try to post non-spoilery progress of my part here from time to time, so if you're interested~ look forward to that ^w^)

The project's been so much fun and though Kokoro said no rush, haha, it's my own personal goal to finish my part before the deadline. Wish us luck ^v^)b

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#3 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Day 4 of NaNoRenO!

The fabulous Liam Winterdale has been busy drafting and sketching CGs, and has shared a couple with me today! (I have permission to share these). Yes, those backgrounds are from Uncle Mugen's spectacular BG dump lol.

BEHOLD-----

The 1st event CG, when Sora gives Annelise the locket that he found and thought since she liked stuff like that, he'd give it to her~
thumbnail (1).jpg
This event CG happens further in the game. Annelise got scared, and ran down the street, by chance running into Jason!
thumbnail.jpg
Chibi is from Crescent Moon Arpeggio and text was made with cooltext.
"Watermarks" added by me.
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

LiamWinterdale
Regular
Completed: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! (NaNoRenO 2020, CG / Cover + Title Logo Artist)

#4 Post by LiamWinterdale »

I am fabulous~ *^*)/
Thanks for sharing these, Kokoro! ^w^)
Feel free to give constructive criticism, everyone! Fixes won't officially stop until I get to the lineart phase. I'm already seeing some things I wanna fix before then xD

Gonna continue work on sketching CG 3 soon~
Sadly, CG 3, 4, 5, and 6 are spoilerly, so we won't be able to share until the finished game! Look forward to the disclosable stuff tho~ more to come! ^w^)b

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Day 5 update.

Liam sent me 2 more fabulous sketches, but they're a secret since it's spoilery ones! But let me tell you, they are lookin' good. So excited for the final product! I am sure you all will love it too.

Aaaand EmbraceofDestiny sent me not 1, not 2, but 3 chibi sketches! (EDIT: Make that 4, which is all of them) They are adorable! Looking forward to the finished product. Man, our artists are ON FIRE! I love it ^^

Writing started off a little slow today... I was kind of feeling a bit of writer's block yesterday, so I only fixed up some things with the script and added a few more sentences (I also caught a time error, so good thing I noticed that sooner rather than later). I am currently writing, got my fire back, and am really excited how it is progressing! Looking forward to e-mailing my VAs the script on the 8th!
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Day 7.

I am hoping to wrap up writing tonight. I have over 7k words right now, so I have about 3k to go. Not bad. It's doable. Tomorrow, no later than the afternoon, I'll be sending out scripts to the VAs!

Liam is beginning the coloring stage for 4 of the event CGs that have been sketched.

EmbraceofDestiny has finished Emily's chibi.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

EmbraceofDestiny
Regular
Tumblr: embraceofdestiny
Deviantart: fryzylstyk

#7 Post by EmbraceofDestiny »

Hi! I’m EmbraceOfDestiny here to post some WIPs!

774CC497-E952-439E-9675-EF06BA68EDAD.png
66D654A0-0D89-4F68-B538-5C1E1D3B4ACE.png
6EF54CA7-E89A-4EFA-BBC8-3F3F9298EF52.png

And a finished piece!
53B1BF9E-D1B2-449C-9735-CA238BDD8EEE.png
Instagram.com/EmbraceOfDestiny

LiamWinterdale
Regular

#8 Post by LiamWinterdale »

The chibis are all so cute~
^w^)b

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#9 Post by Heiden »

Love those chibis!! And love seeing the CG wips.

This looks like it's going to be a great funny game. Looking forward to it!
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

LiamWinterdale
Regular

#10 Post by LiamWinterdale »

Heiden wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:19 pm Love those chibis!! And love seeing the CG wips.

Thank you~
We're glad you're looking forward to it ^w^)

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Kokoro Hane »

DAY 10.

Yesterday, I sent out the bulk of the script to my VAs. I'm a tiiiny bit off schedule with writing, as I still need to write the endings, BUT! That's all that's left. So for the next couple of days, I'll be focusing on that. Target wordcount has been reached, but now we're entering overdrive. I thought this could happen, so I set a target exceed limit, which will be 12k. So after I write the endings, it'll probably fall around 11K+ ish.

I am confident I'll get it done and we'll be back on schedule. Speaking of being on schedule, everything else is moving quite smoothly!

Jason's VA sent me his lines straight away yesterday for the main script, and let me tell ya... YOU GUYS ARE IN FOR A TREAT! He really brings this character to life, more so than even I envisioned when writing him. I am looking forward to more lines from our stellar cast!

I already received 2 more colored chibi since EmbraceOfDestiny posted (they are fabulous).

Liam is almost done with the priority batch! This batch is the first 4 event CGs, and 3 of them have been fully colored! Of course, due to spoilers, I can only share two of them but the coloring is absolutely FABULOUS! The use of lighting and effect, and how the backgrounds get blended in. Fabulous.
CG-1 (resize).jpg
cg2.jpg
And that's all for today!!
Heiden wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:19 pm Love those chibis!! And love seeing the CG wips.

I am pleased you are looking forward to our project ^^
We're doing our best to make it awesome!!
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

EmbraceofDestiny
Regular

#12 Post by EmbraceofDestiny »

And 2 more finished pieces!

D98F48F8-3A9B-4405-8283-2C3615E40492.png
168C9E85-6E09-4DD9-9731-15D50ABD7D32.png

LiamWinterdale
Regular

#13 Post by LiamWinterdale »

EmbraceofDestiny wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:05 pm And 2 more finished pieces!
They turn out amazing~ *^*)/ ❤️❤️

And now it’s finally my turn to share something, haha~ thank you for always sharing the CGs on my behalf, Kokoro! uwu) ❤️
Anyways~ I made a timelapse video of CG 1 and 2! Check it out if you’re interested~ Enjoy! ^w^)/ ❤️
Also, guess what? Jason is quite popular with my Instagram followers! I had to break their hearts by stating he’s not dateable x’DD

Now that I’m done with that~ I’mma get some sleep, so I can resume CG work tomorrow.
Only one CG left in the priority batch, woo~! Wish me luck ^v^)/

EmbraceofDestiny
Regular

#14 Post by EmbraceofDestiny »

LiamWinterdale wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:00 pm
EmbraceofDestiny wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:05 pm And 2 more finished pieces!
They turn out amazing~ *^*)/ ❤️❤️

And now it’s finally my turn to share something, haha~ thank you for always sharing the CGs on my behalf, Kokoro! uwu) ❤️
Anyways~ I made a timelapse video of CG 1 and 2! Check it out if you’re interested~ Enjoy! ^w^)/ ❤️
Also, guess what? Jason is quite popular with my Instagram followers! I had to break their hearts by stating he’s not dateable x’DD

Now that I’m done with that~ I’mma get some sleep, so I can resume CG work tomorrow.
Only one CG left in the priority batch, woo~! Wish me luck ^v^)/

These are so pretty and I always love seeing speedpaints! And I love the lighting!

LiamWinterdale
Regular

#15 Post by LiamWinterdale »

EmbraceofDestiny wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:16 pmThese are so pretty and I always love seeing speedpaints! And I love the lighting!
Thank you, Embrace!
Glad you enjoyed it~ ^w^)/ ❤