Alectrona: Space Party [NaNo2020] [BxB] [Romance] [Cyberpunk] [Scifi]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
azaraih
Regular
Projects: Alectrona: Space Party, Deadnettle Creek
Tumblr: azaraih
itch: azaraih

Alectrona: Space Party [NaNo2020] [BxB] [Romance] [Cyberpunk] [Scifi]

#1 Post by azaraih »

Hey! I’m Azaraih and I’m going to attempt to make a full game this year! Last year I made a demo for Deadnettle Creek and had a fun time working on it, so hopefully I can use what I learned and actually finish a full story (we’ll see how it goes).

Summary

Jules is a successful spaceship engineer and entrepreneur. Even before graduating from Andromeda Space Academy, he had sold his startup company to intergalactic megacorp Heliacron for 6.5 million credits. He has almost everything he thought would make him happy: plenty of money, his dream job, and his own home with a fully equipped workshop. Unfortunately, he also has horrible anxiety and spends most of his free time working or hanging out with his cat.

When a client invites him to a party at a luxe hotel, Jules figures it’s a good opportunity to put himself out there and prove he’s over his ex-boyfriend. But talking to people is hard, especially when some jerk you barely know notices you struggling and decides to “help.” Will Jules make it through the evening and make a connection with someone? Or will anxiety drive him to retire to his hotel room early and binge overpriced minibar snacks in bed?

Characters

Julian Yun (Jules) - The protagonist. Huge spaceship nerd, way out of practice at romance stuff, trying his best.

Minerva Qaderi - The client. Mysteriously wealthy, throws the fanciest parties, remembers everyone.

Altais Dragomirov (Drago) - The jerk. Cyborg with a 90% cybernetic brain, clearly has some kind of shady past, works for Minerva.

Vega - A party guest. Seems nice and hopefully easy to talk to.

Federico - A party guest. A classy-looking guy hanging out at the bar.

Idizia - A party guest. Something about him seems familiar.

[Possibly 1 or 2 other characters if I have extra time]

Team

Art - azaraih
Writing - azaraih
Editing - somonastic
Programming - azaraih
Music - creative commons

Development Notes

Hopefully people will enjoy a game about having anxiety in space! I’m planning to try out some new things this year, like including more meaningful choices, multiple endings, and a new game mechanic I’ll talk about later once I have it figured out more. My biggest concern for this project is just time management, since I’ll be doing a lot myself and I work full time, but I’ll do my best to pull this off. Thanks for reading, and good luck to everyone working on NaNo this year!
Image Image

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

Re: Alectrona: Space Party [NaNo2020] [BxB] [Romance] [Cyberpunk] [Scifi]

#2 Post by Heiden »

I've only just met Jules but I want him to be happy and surrounded by loving friends.

I love this premise! I think the sci-fi setting could be really fun.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

HitOrMissy
Regular
Tumblr: HitOrMissy

#3 Post by HitOrMissy »

I loved Deadnettle Creek, so I'm excited to see what this will be like! I feel for Jules, parties give me anxiety too T-T

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

Jules is immediately the most relateable lmao. Good luck with this! Can't wait to see more from it. (:

azaraih
Regular

#5 Post by azaraih »

Heiden wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:29 pm I've only just met Jules but I want him to be happy and surrounded by loving friends.

I love this premise! I think the sci-fi setting could be really fun.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Thank you so much! :] Jules had a nice friend group back at space academy, his social life has just gone a bit downhill since graduation. But hopefully he can turn things around again!
HitOrMissy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:53 am I loved Deadnettle Creek, so I'm excited to see what this will be like! I feel for Jules, parties give me anxiety too T-T
Aaahhh I'm glad you enjoyed Deadnettle Creek, I really appreciate it! (someday I'll work on the rest of that game...) Yeah, same here about parties, this game is for sure based on personal experience.
Zelan wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:38 am Jules is immediately the most relateable lmao. Good luck with this! Can't wait to see more from it. (:
Aahh thank you!! I'm glad people like Jules so far haha :]

I don't have too much of an update on the my progress yet, but my plan right now is to get my detailed outline completed today, including all the choices, endings, etc so I can focus on writing next week. Then tomorrow will be sprite artwork day! It'll be nice to get some artwork done so I have something more interesting to show.
Image Image

azaraih
Regular

#6 Post by azaraih »

Hey! I just wanted to give an update for people who are interested in this game.

Basically, because of various stressful life things going on, I'm very behind on my work for this project, and I think it would be best if I stop working on it for now. I've actually had more free time than usual to do game development, but I just haven't been able to focus on it because of everything else going on. So I'm planning to try to do more relaxing things instead and give myself a mental health break.

I'm disappointed that I have to do this since Nano is a great experience, and I really like working on something at the same time as everyone else. I'm sad it's only once a year so it's a while to wait until the next one... Maybe I will see if I can do a different game jam or something later in the year, I'm not sure yet.

Thanks everyone who's interested in what I'm doing though, I really appreciate your support! And I'm looking forward to playing through everyone else's cool games at the end of the month.
Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

I'm glad you're taking the time to take care of yourself! Best wishes to you. ^_^

I think the two biggest game jams in this community besides NaNo are Yaoi Jam (usually sometime in the summer) and Yuri Jam (September to October, I think). If you wanted to try to complete this game at the same time as other people, Yaoi Jam would be on theme! Of course that's only if you're up to it, just wanted to let you know about them.

azaraih
Regular

#8 Post by azaraih »

Zelan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:48 pm I'm glad you're taking the time to take care of yourself! Best wishes to you. ^_^

I think the two biggest game jams in this community besides NaNo are Yaoi Jam (usually sometime in the summer) and Yuri Jam (September to October, I think). If you wanted to try to complete this game at the same time as other people, Yaoi Jam would be on theme! Of course that's only if you're up to it, just wanted to let you know about them.
Thank you Zelan! That's a good idea about Yaoi Jam. It looks like it's normally 2 months long instead of 1, so that would let me either work at a slower pace or make the game extra polished, which is nice! So maybe I'll plan on doing that for now. :]
Image Image

HitOrMissy
Regular
Tumblr: HitOrMissy

#9 Post by HitOrMissy »

It's a strange time we're living in, and looking after your mental health is more important than ever. I look forward to whatever you end up making in the future, be it yaoi jam, or something else :) Stay safe!

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#10 Post by Heiden »

Taking care of yourself comes first! There's a lot going on right now.

I look forward to anything you make in the future, be it for another jam (Yaoi jam is always fun~) or not!
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

azaraih
Regular

#11 Post by azaraih »

HitOrMissy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:47 pm It's a strange time we're living in, and looking after your mental health is more important than ever. I look forward to whatever you end up making in the future, be it yaoi jam, or something else :) Stay safe!
Heiden wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:50 pm Taking care of yourself comes first! There's a lot going on right now.

I look forward to anything you make in the future, be it for another jam (Yaoi jam is always fun~) or not!
Thank you both so much!! I'm feeling a little better after trying to just relax for a week, so I think I made the right decision even though I'm a bit sad about it. Hopefully I'll be able to work on something low pressure in the near future, but things are definitely weird right now so we'll see. Thank you again and stay safe!
Image Image