Moon Serenade [NaNo 2020] [Fantasy][Adventure][BxB/G]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
oro121

Moon Serenade [NaNo 2020] [Fantasy][Adventure][BxB/G]

#1 Post by oro121 »

I wanted to create visual novel fo a long time, but there was a lot of reasons, or rather excuses not to do so. This year I decided to overcome any fear I have and start to do at least something! This jam more like terrifying psychological challenge to me than enjoyable pastime, but I hope things change while creating.
First of all - I am not native speaker, that is first and foremost challenging obstacle for me. Second - I can do only sprites, everything else won`t have proper quality I wish could be in this project.
My goal is finish this whatever it takes. Though, I may reconsider if my English wouldn't be enough.
The very first dream Alvin have was a whirlwind of colors and sounds intertwining into images of bizzare animals and mythical creatures.Second was the same. And third. And every one after. Alvin’s parents were terrified of prospect having a son with dormant magical gift and church taking the boy away. But everything turned out fine: Alden grew up as a creative boy, well-loved by the citizens and often asked by the children for another “cute wooden figurine” he carved after another dream.
But that was quite some time ago. Beautiful dreams he had turned into severe nightmares, and the boy once was cheerful and lively turned into sick and sleepless man struggling to survive one more night. That those nightmares and dreams are? Curse or gift, or something more? That is he ought to find.
I'm planning to do BxG too, but it depends how much time I can spend on the game. Right now I cannot decide, if I publish the demo only (if so I'll finish game after nano and definetely include BxG) or I can finish it complitelly (with BxB options only and that will be all.) Hope I'l manage BxG cause I love these two pretty cinnamon rolls and they deserve happiness too :lol:

I had a plan of some sort which includes basic minimum and thing I can expand, but as I never created a game, I cannot tell how much really I could do in a month.

Thank you everyone for reading! Would appreciate any comment you have if concept caught your attention!

Also, I will update this post later with a bit of information about setting, and maybe post some screenshots and changes I'll do in a coming month.
Last edited by oro121 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Moon Serenade [NaNo 2020] [Fantasy][Adventure][BxB/G]

#2 Post by Zelan »

I really like your art style! Good luck with your project ^_^ I'm sure it will become an enjoyable pastime as you gain more confidence!

oro121

#3 Post by oro121 »

Zelan wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:36 am I really like your art style! Good luck with your project ^_^ I'm sure it will become an enjoyable pastime as you gain more confidence!
Thank you for your support!
And here I am guys with news!

I'm happy to tell that 90% of sprites are ready!
I have little trouble with backgrounds, as I never did them, so my humble attempt to make several resulted in... well, mess. Style differs from bg to bg which is sad, but I think I leave it for now as it is because it's time for actual writing.
Because I finished detailed plan for the game!
Also, about half of GUI is done, though, if there would be time in the end I'll probably change it.

Also I'm gonna introduce some ladies!

Also, there's a a preview of sprites on the BG with a hint of GUI.

See ya at the end of the week when I start actual writing!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Zelan »

The ladies are beautiful! ^_^

oro121

#5 Post by oro121 »

Hey everyone! Say hello to Heliomo!
Well, actually, coloured version os already in the game, but I decided to create some suspence.
There's update!
Well first of all, I decided to fo the demo till the end of Nano! That's automatically means that I'll add BXG routes!
Demo right now in production. The thing is I'm not sure end demo at first chapter or also include second one. Guess I'l just see how long would it take.
Bad news that I probably shouldn't post there, it seems I have some plot hole... But I think it's good that I saw problem before going deep into making.
So there are two screenshots.
Text probably would be overhauled in the demo, as I tend to critisize everything and change. And yeah, I see misspelling in screenshot but I'am too lazy to correct it, as I'm doing this post before going to bed. Besides, right now it's not the main priority.
Next week I'm doing the demo, if everything would be to my liking(very small chance), I post first demo! See you next weekend!

oro121

#6 Post by oro121 »

Hello again!

Took a bit more time than I thought.
Here's my progress!

First of all, I did main screen image! Well, I am satisfied and this is actually a lot for me, so I am trying not to... noticing any imperfections.

Also I'm rearranging script and editing story a bit. Also I am torn between feeling that ingame text feels basic( my first real wrriting in english after all) and feeling that I also can overcomplicate text striving for improve it's blandness... Real dilemma.

Overall, I'm really proud as novel really starts to take shape as a whole. I added a bit of touches there and there, and it's not so bad considering I'm the only person behind it.
Anyway, I'm happy that it's three weeks already, and I'm steel holding up and despite all up and downs, I'm not letting myself abandon this project because of self-esteem problems.

Thank you everyone who read this babbling, and people who waiting this game on the itch!
I'l try to post demo on Sunday, but I'm also saving a room for any emergencies, as sunday is not last day of Nano. :D

oro121

#7 Post by oro121 »

Yeeeeeeees! Hello !
DEMO IS AVAILABLE ON ITCH.
I've made it! And it's... wow. Really exhausting. It took more time than I thought.

Of course, I have doubts about everything I made so far. But I think that result satisfactory. So at last, I decided to upload the demo.

It's not long, it just introduces several characters and the main conflict of the game.

While writing a game I understood several things:

1) Doing a game alone is really difficult and time-consuming.

2) My time management is lacking.

3) After Nano I'm going continue but, due to recent worldwide bad events of which you all are well aware of, I'm going to slow down a bit.

I will update maybe once per month or so because I want to upload only big updates.

4) I am still struggling with accessing the quality of writings, so... I think it's readable. If anyone would want to participate and proofread or maybe enrich the text, any help is welcome!

I wish I could write more in this post, but I've really pushed myself to my limits today.

I hope you enjoy this demo and stay safe everyone!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Zelan »

Congratulations for finishing the demo!