Molly [Nano2020] [Slice of Life, Sad, Dark][Complete]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Molly [Nano2020] [Slice of Life, Sad, Dark][Complete]

#1 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Summary

Molly has always tried to be a good girl. Yet no matter what she does, she has never been able to win the affection of her older siblings.

But she'll keep trying.

She has to.

Characters

Our Main Character

Molly

Trying to find the balance between pleasing her parents and her siblings.

The Siblings

Sarah

The oldest. Has never accepted Molly as part of the famiy.

Thomas

Sarah's shadow. Follows her orders, never the instigator.

Our Team

Sunlit-Dreamer: Writer, Programmer, GUI Artist
Akakuroneko: Sprite/CG Artist
banannasquid: BG Artist

Progress

Writing: 100%
Sprites: 100%
BGs: 100%
CG: 100%
Music: 100%
SFX: 100%
UI: 100%
Coding: 100%
Beta-testing: 100%

Notes

3/7: Busy with real life priorities, but progress is being made. Story is almost halfway finished.
3/14: Story is finished, edited, and coded in. Music has been gathered and coded in. Art is coming along nicely. (And all of those who peeked in here before. Why did no one point out I had written Love Interests instead of The Siblings? D8)
3/24: Artwork is getting done. (Sick earlier this month, and homework/exams.) SFX is gathered and completely coded in. Basic layouts of UI is being worked on, will be doing imagemapping later.
3/29: UI is almost done. BGs are near completion. Sprites are near completion. Also did some testing to make sure the ui itself wouldn't bug out. Will begin beta-testing soon.
4/5: Received the last of the bgs last night. Coded it all in today. Sprites should be complete tomorrow. Will be creating transition screens once I receive them. Playing around with the transitions this time around.
4/6: Sprites and cg received. Will work on coding them in.
4/11: Everything is coded in, did some partial testing. Sending buildtest to testers. Soon.
4/12: It is complete and uploaded.
Last edited by Sunlit-Dreamer on Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

Re: Molly [Nano2020] [Slice of Life, Sad, Dark]

#2 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

It's still technically the 14th, so here's a weekly update.

Progress has been slow for most of the week. Real life priority kept me from working on the nano, but I did manage to finish writing the story along with editing it. It has also been coded in along with the majority of the music.

I will be either focusing on working on the ui or gathering and coding in sound effects next. Progress is coming along with the bgs and sprites.

Nothing fancy to show you, but did want to show we're still here. Have a good old Lint.
Statistics:

The game contains 838 dialogue blocks, containing 7,354 words and 42,018
characters, for an average of 8.8 words and 50 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 0 images, and 23 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#3 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Missed the weekly update, apologies. But we're still kicking.

Artwork should be coming out faster now. Akakuroneko was sick earlier this month, feeling much better now. Crispysquid has been busy with classwork and finals, and we all know how that is.

SFX is coded in, gathering it all alone took a whole day from me. Now focusing on the UI. Instead of sticking to the template like I have the last couple years, going to try to go the imagemapping path since this'll be my last nano.

It's the last week everyone. Let's all do our best to finish, yes?

ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#4 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Another late post, but only by a few hours. Was battling the ui code, and claimed victory. Will be coding in the art assets soon. (The two week extension really helps out because I don't want anyone to push themselves to the lack of sleep to finish.) Sprites are almost fully done along with the bgs. UI is almost fully customized, minus the options/preferences. I'll leave that be for the most part.

Will keep pushing myself to finish so I can hop straight to coding/testing once I receive the rest of the art.

Here have a doodle

ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#5 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Really thankful for these extra two weeks. Made everything more doable for crispysquid and Akakuroneko. Was given the final bg yesterday. (Although it was done sooner and was forgotten about for a bit.) They're coded in. Playing around with the transitions a bit. Sprites were promised for tomorrow, so might post another update after I code those in as well.

Once that's done, beta-testing will begin. Might tweak things here and there while that's going on.

ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#6 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Transition screens: Done.
Bland super quick bg that isn't crispy's level: Done.
Copied and edited layers of kuro's expressions for the sprites to make more so they don't have to: Done.
Coding in the sprites and cg: Done.

Time for playtesting. =3

ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

I really like the main character's sprite. The sleeves nearly covering the hands are a perfect indicator of her personality.

Good luck with playtesting!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#8 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Zelan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:52 am I really like the main character's sprite. The sleeves nearly covering the hands are a perfect indicator of her personality.

Good luck with playtesting!
I'll be sure to pass that on to Akakuroneko~

So far, no bugs. =3
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

Re: Molly [Nano2020] [Slice of Life, Sad, Dark][Complete]

#9 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Playtesting complete. Whoot~

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58628
ImageImageImageImage