Error Kinetica - final moments with a stranger in virtual reality [Sci-Fi][Drama/Romance][NaNo2020]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
ManaMerci
Projects: Error Kinetica
Organization: Studio Crylight
itch: ManaMerci

Error Kinetica - final moments with a stranger in virtual reality [Sci-Fi][Drama/Romance][NaNo2020]

#1 Post by ManaMerci »

by Studio Crylight
(Twitter)

You're going to die soon.
These may very well be your last moments.
And you're going to spend them trapped in this virtual reality, all alone and isolated and-

Huh?

“Please help..."

There's another player here?

"PLEASE! I don't wanna die! Not now... not yet...!"

Thus, just like that,
a bittersweet tale begins.

♥MinonMinonCrylight♥
Heroine, trapped in the Error-Ded Server.
Tries to stay optimistic in spite of the situation... and her companion.

___LordNero67___
Protagonist, trapped in the Error-Ded Server.
Also the "Lord of Raiden's Darkness", apparently.

>A Short, Emotional Storyline

>Aesthetic-Focused VN w/ Beautiful, Vibrant Art [including 4 CGs!]

>Melancholic LoFi-inspired OST [7 unique tracks]

>15-30min Playtime

>It's Free!

ManaMerci [Director / Writer]

Kimopoleis [Character Artist]

Laynesis [BG Artist]
Re.Alice [Logo Artist]

Tavian St. James [Lead Composer]
Roland Sepherulo [ED Composer]

Foleso [UI Designer]

DragoonHP [Programmer]

Mana here, entering NaNoReno20 for the first time with Studio Crylight's first official VN project <3

"Error Kinetica" is planned to be a short, passionate 30-min work with an emphasis on emotions and aesthetics.

This VN is heavily inspired by both Syrmor's VR heart-to-heart videos (he's a Youtuber, check some of his stuff out!) as well as my own personal experiences online, between roleplaying and trusting online friends and so on. I wanted to see if I could crystallize that sense of "online melancholy" into something simple, but also something I could focus everything into over a month, get others onboard easily, make as aesthetic and presentable as humanly possible.

This'll be my first proper project as a VN dev too! Right now I'm approaching this whole thing with my prior experience as a videographer/writer, and thus far, I'm having the time of my life. Like, seriously. This is literally so fun? Like?

Overall, our team's been hard at work on this since the start of March, and honestly, I'm just in love with so much of what they've done for this, like? The GUI? The top-tier art? The music? Been keeping this more or less secret for as long as possible, since I wanted to wait until some of our core presentable elements - Logo, Key Visual, Theme Music - were completed first. And now that that's all done...

There's no turning back now.

The time is finally coming to unleash our cutesy little project upon the world! WAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Although. I confess, I do wonder if we'll be able to make the deadline on the 14th? I myself briefly fell ill during the NaNo period (as a result, I'm eternally grateful for the extension!), so right now I'm hard at work in gathering together everyone's respective assets and bringing them into our VN.

Hopefully we'll have - at minimum - a demo to show you guys by tomorrow!
Having kept sharing all this to the very last day, I'm both nervous and excited to see what people finally think of Error Kinetica!

And naturally, I'll look forward to trying out everyone else's entries as well :)

Farewell for now!
Mana out.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Error Kinetica - final moments with a stranger in virtual reality [Sci-Fi][Drama/Romance][NaNo2020]

#2 Post by Zelan »

The art is absolutely gorgeous, and I really connect with those themes of trust in an online space. I think it's something that a lot of people close to our age (? not totally sure how old you are but I'm assuming we're not too far apart) can really relate to because we've had emotional experiences in entirely online settings.

ManaMerci
Projects: Error Kinetica
Organization: Studio Crylight
itch: ManaMerci

Re: Error Kinetica - final moments with a stranger in virtual reality [Sci-Fi][Drama/Romance][NaNo2020]

#3 Post by ManaMerci »

Zelan wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:03 pm The art is absolutely gorgeous, and I really connect with those themes of trust in an online space. I think it's something that a lot of people close to our age (? not totally sure how old you are but I'm assuming we're not too far apart) can really relate to because we've had emotional experiences in entirely online settings.
Thanks a ton Zelan!!!

For sure for sure, that's basically it in a nutshell! The internet brings about all sorts of interesting experiences and pitfalls, bluntness and eccentricity. Even now, those kind of online connections aren't really explored all that often in media (and if it is, it'll probably lead to the cliche moral of "oh this kind person was actually a super dangerous person all along."). Having the freedom and space to be yourself, but also to lie about whatever you want... Whether you're hanging around on forums, Discord servers, MMOs, or what, well, you're bound to make a few friendships at least along the way. And in turn, you're bound to face similar dilemmas.

It's not like this VN is dedicated to that sole subject, but I do hope to express my feelings on it all a little :)