Pirated Code [NaNo2021][NBxB][Sci-Fi][Comedy][Romance][Complete]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
HitOrMissy
Regular
Tumblr: HitOrMissy

Pirated Code [NaNo2021][NBxB][Sci-Fi][Comedy][Romance][Complete]

#1 Post by HitOrMissy »

Play for free on Itch!

This game is a demo! I'm planning on having the finished version done by the end of April.

Story
When an advanced AI program named Seren awakens to find they've been installed as the co-pilot of a smuggling ship, they can't help but be annoyed. This is clearly not what they were made to do... right?

Actually, they can't remember.

With no memories of their previous directive, they'll have to (begrudgingly) rely on their newfound crewmates to help them find where they belong.

Characters

Seren (they/them)
An AI with a standoffish personality. They can't remember where they came from, or what they were made to do.

Dex (he/him)
A smuggler who stole Seren's data chip from an Intergalactic Intelligence officer. He seems to be bad at his job.

The Operator (he/him)
Dex's contact to his guild. Outwardly friendly, but can have a sharp tongue. Much better at his job than Dex.

About
This game features:
  • A NB/B story with one love interest (Dex)
  • 2.5k+ words
  • 2 endings (1 good (to be continued), 1 bad)

Content Warning
This game contains:
  • Mild swearing
  • Screenshakes
  • Flashing images

It Me
Hello! I'm Mel, and this is my third year doing NaNoRenO.

Two years ago, I made Fetch Quest, a fantasy/comedy otome about dorks playing DnD, and last year I made the first chapter of Red-Handed Robin, a fantasy/adventure otome about lying and stealing.

I went on to make two more chapters to finish out Red-Handed Robin, and am currently planning a sequel. I couldn't resist doing NaNo though, so here I am!

Social Media
I post my art and game dev stuff on Twitter and Tumblr, so follow me in those places if you're into that.
Last edited by HitOrMissy on Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

snoqie
Completed: Nico
Projects: Will it Snow?
itch: snoqie

Re: Unnamed Sci-Fi Thing, AI x Space Pirate [NaNo2021][NBxB][Sci-Fi][Comedy][Romance]

#2 Post by snoqie »

Oh my goodness, your sketches are outright adorable!!! ;ㅡ ; And I can NOT believe you are doing this solo (and for 3 years in a row!). . . that is just phenomenal!! I absolutely can't wait to play!! :D
I've never had a chance to play as the AI before, so that definitely piques my interest~! ^ ㅡ^

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Unnamed Sci-Fi Thing, AI x Space Pirate [NaNo2021][NBxB][Sci-Fi][Comedy][Romance]

#3 Post by Donmai »

Sounds really promising. Very interested.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

HitOrMissy
Regular

#4 Post by HitOrMissy »

snoqie wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:04 am Oh my goodness, your sketches are outright adorable!!! ;ㅡ ; And I can NOT believe you are doing this solo (and for 3 years in a row!). . . that is just phenomenal!! I absolutely can't wait to play!! :D
Donmai wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:14 pm Sounds really promising. Very interested.
Thank you! I'm glad it seems interesting from what little info I've given so far.

Here's a look at the progress I've made on the GUI-

As Seren is basically confined to the ship, the idea is that they are piecing the story together using only conversations that happen over the ship's communication system. I'm trying to give the vibe that you're reading subtitles for what's being spoken.

Speaking of Seren, I've pretty much nailed down how I want them to look.

I don't normally take so long to design characters; Most of the time I just draw the sprite without doing much concept art at all. Seren has been an exception, though. I'm blaming it on Sci-fi fashion.

HitOrMissy
Regular

Re: Pirated Code [NaNo2021][NBxB][Sci-Fi][Comedy][Romance]

#5 Post by HitOrMissy »

Wow, the first third of the jam really flew by T_T
I don't have much to talk about this week, but I did finally come up with a name for this project. The game is now called Pirated Code!

This year, I really wanted to try doing some sprite animations. It's simple, but I think it adds some life.

I've also done a bit more work on the UI, including the dialogue choices.

And lastly, here's the start of Dex's little concept sheet.

HitOrMissy
Regular

Re: Pirated Code [NaNo2021][NBxB][Sci-Fi][Comedy][Romance]

#6 Post by HitOrMissy »

I'm back with an update!

I've got nearly all the sprites drawn and coded into the game. Here are a few expressions from each of the main characters-

Dex:

Seren:

Operator:

All three have blinking and talking animations, as well as a handful of emotes.

I've also rearranged the textbox so it fits the design I envisioned at the start.

As we're coming up to the end of the jam, I have a feeling I might not finish in time. I'm going to try my best, but I may end up only releasing a demo. We'll see how things go this week!

HitOrMissy
Regular

Re: Pirated Code [NaNo2021][NBxB][Sci-Fi][Comedy][Romance][Complete]

#7 Post by HitOrMissy »

I got the demo all done and submitted \( ゚ヮ゚)/

You can download the game over on Itch.