Dimlight Café ☕️ [G/B/NBxG/B][Fantasy, Romance][NaNo’21]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Whimsy
Projects: Dimlight Cafe
itch: ivythesaurus

Dimlight Café ☕️ [G/B/NBxG/B][Fantasy, Romance][NaNo’21]

#1 Post by Whimsy »

Hello! Welcome to my dream project, Dimlight Café. This will be my first NaNoRenO project, and I know I’ve probably picked a doozy of a task to complete by the end of March!
—————————
We managed to complete the demo! Check it out on itch.io at https://celesteadev.itch.io/dimlight-cafe!!
—————————
Can a falling star fulfill their own wish?
Story

As the Guiding Star, you’ve always watched over Pharandel, laughed and cried and worried with the mortals and dragons as they warred and made peace.
When a miasma starts to consume Pharandel bringing chaos with it, you wish you could be closer, you wish for a way to make them happy. And your wish comes true in an unexpected way: you fall from the sky.
You meet a cynical mystic elf who grants you a mortal body: at a price. They give you six moons’ time to prove that you can make the mortals of Pharandel happy: you must fill a crystal with pure happiness, or they’ll consume you to replenish their magic!
And so your quest begins. Your journey to heal the mortals’ hearts brings you to Dimlight Café: a sorely under-appreciated establishment, run by a diverse group of six dragons. You decide to stay and make it your mission to make the crew happy, and so, for the coming six moons, you get entangled in the fate of the café, the crew and the creatures that patron the place. And it’s when people in need stumble into the Café and the Dimlight family slowly grows, that you realize this is where you belong.
Will you manage to fulfill your wish of making the world of Pharandel happier? Can you free them from the suffocating unhappiness, and avoid being consumed by the mystic elf? And will you find your own happiness along the way?

Features
  • A cute story (in 2nd person POV) centered around happiness, friendship, sentiment, and feel-good emotions
  • Fully realized character creator with options for races as well as personality traits!
  • Beautiful custom soundtrack!
  • Multiple personality choices that change interactions!
  • A dynamic calendar hub to track events and even choose the order of side stories!
  • 3 bachelors and 3 bachelorettes! (One route is prioritized for this demo)
  • Partial voice acting to bring life to the characters!
Characters

The Guiding Star (Nameable)(Default: G - Afni B - Afnal NB - Afaen)
Afni2.png
Afni2.png (60.24 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Afni1.png
Afni1.png (62.7 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Afnal2.png
Afnal2.png (60.97 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Afnal1.png
Afnal1.png (59.71 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
The personification of the Guiding Star! They have watched over the world for a very long time and adore all life. They express their happiness in different ways (depending on your chosen personality traits), but they value connections no matter what.

Yorne (VA: Sam Marshall) ((2nd priority))
Yorne and Six (1).png
The owner of Dimlight Café and older brother of Six. He’s got a reserved personality and is unused to talking to new people. He isn’t especially skilled at anything like his peers, but the things he does value are very near and dear to his heart. He’s reliable and generous though a bit aloof.

Six (VA: Carly Danielson [WillowroamVA])((1st Priority))
Six.png
Dimlight Café’s master barista and queen of plants. Six comes across as cold and icy because her face rarely changes expression, but she’s an open minded and honest girl. She has a love for plants and beverage-making, and she even grows her own tea leaves and coffee beans.

Goro (VA: Reed Kriner)
Goro.png
Dimlight Café’s head chef! An exotic tropical dragon, though raised in the snowy north, Goro has a rounded love for all types of food. Pursuing his dream of creating his own cuisine, he ended up settling in Solveil City when he found his home away from home at Dimlight Café. He’s stubborn, but one of the friendliest people you could ever meet! Don’t let his massive size scare you off!

Doroya (VA: Alice Himora [Aaliceh])
Doroya 2.png
Dimlight Café’s resident baker, pastry and sous chef! Doroya is the oldest of the group, about four centuries old! She stumbled across the Café when she awoke from hibernation and found the place built only a a stone's throw away. Rather than chase Yorne and Six off, she offered to put her baking skills to use and helped them run the cafe. Wise, but flirty, Doroya is an unpredictable girl to hang around.

Vaughn (VA: Eli Brennan [LazEness])
Vaughn.png
The youngest of the group, Vaughn is a grumpy, rebellious dragon always looking for a fight. His scales and horns are crystalline, similar to glass, which almost anyone who lays eyes of them becomes enchanted by their beauty. Though people, especially customers, quickly come to realize his attitude muddies up that beauty very quickly. He's always at odds with Arietta because he slacks off as a waiter.

Arietta VA: Brittany Ann Phillips
Arietta.png
A bubbly dragoness who's best friends with Six. Arietta is a master confectioner and skilled people-person! Her charisma and warm personality makes her the perfect waitress, and she constantly bickers with Vaughn who never fails to make her job harder. She and Six are the backbone of the cafe, making up for Yorne's mistakes and the rest of the crew's childish carelessness.

Team

ivyThesaurus/Whimsy: Project Manager, Sprites, CGs, Writing
cheonbyeol: Programming, GUI, Idea Bouncer
CiaranCosway(https://www.ciarancosway.com/): Original soundtrack
Sir Waffles: Writer, Editor
Team Badass: Writer, Editor
... And our wonderful voice actors!

Goals for NaNoRenO done!
  • Finish all scripting up to the First Moon (Chapter 1: Introduction)done!
  • Finish all main sprites (6 dragons) done!
  • Collect all .ogg voice lines for the main characters done!
  • Finish important songs from soundtrack (Cafe themes, emotive cues) done!
  • Fully implement calendar hub with art and polish done!
  • Come up with a team name, logo, and title card
Progress

Writing: 12.5%
  • Intro: 100%
  • Chapter 1: 0%
  • Main Events: 0%
  • Side Events: 0%
Sprites: 80%
  • MC: 85%
  • Six: 85%
  • Yorne: 85%
  • Goro: 85%
  • Doroya: 85%
  • Arietta: 85%
  • Vaughn: 85%
  • Others: 100%
BGs: 50%?
CG: 0%
Music: 45%?
SFX: 35%
UI: 70%
Coding (features): 85%
Attachments
One of Arietta's sprites!
One of Arietta's sprites!
One of Vaughn's sprites!
One of Vaughn's sprites!
The calendar is up and running!
The calendar is up and running!
One of Goro's sprites!
One of Goro's sprites!
One of Doroya’s sprites!
One of Doroya’s sprites!
Yorne's neutral sprite!
Yorne's neutral sprite!
one of six's sprites!
one of six's sprites!
Side story choices indicated by unique icons (will be designed later of course)
Side story choices indicated by unique icons (will be designed later of course)
A glimpse into the character creator! Cheonbyeol is so awesome!
A glimpse into the character creator! Cheonbyeol is so awesome!
Last edited by Whimsy on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:02 am, edited 15 times in total.

Keirin17
Regular
Completed: Lighthouse of guiding flames, The Snowdrop Diaries
Projects: Amnea28
Tumblr: anankekeirin
itch: anankekeirin

Re: Dimlight Café ☕️ [G/B/NBxG/B][Fantasy, Romance][NaNo’21]

#2 Post by Keirin17 »

Looks like it's going to be a cute romantic story with a charismatic cast of characters.
The designs look unique and cool. I hope you'll be able to finish your dream project in time!

P.S. I think my favorite character is going to be Vaughn :)

Whimsy
Projects: Dimlight Cafe
itch: ivythesaurus

Re: Dimlight Café ☕️ [G/B/NBxG/B][Fantasy, Romance][NaNo’21]

#3 Post by Whimsy »

Keirin17 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:40 am Looks like it's going to be a cute romantic story with a charismatic cast of characters.
The designs look unique and cool. I hope you'll be able to finish your dream project in time!

P.S. I think my favorite character is going to be Vaughn :)
Thank you!
And I see you're a person of taste ;P The meanies are always so endearing for some reason