A Mythic's Peace [NaNo2022][Fantasy]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
JenneMK
Regular
Completed: The Asoralite Crystal, Quest for the Spirit Sphere!, Eislyn's Apocalypse
Deviantart: JenneMK
itch: JenneMK

A Mythic's Peace [NaNo2022][Fantasy]

#1 Post by JenneMK »

Hello! I am attempting to make another fantasy visual novel this year. This one is called A Mythic's Peace and is centered around a festival, an ancient queen and a mysterious creature! ^^
I'm running a little late again this year and my idea is a bit ambitious for NaNoRenO but I am hoping to at least finish one of the endings before the end of the month.
Hope everyone is having fun this year~~~ I'll be back with updates soon! ^^

JenneMK
Regular
Completed: The Asoralite Crystal, Quest for the Spirit Sphere!, Eislyn's Apocalypse

Re: A Mythic's Peace [NaNo2022][Fantasy]

#2 Post by JenneMK »

Well, it's been a week and I've got some artwork to show off! So here are some backgrounds:

And I'd also like to introduce one of the characters! This is Gyel, who is in fact the main character. ^^ He's an Aerellos, which is the race with the highest population in his world. He's been preparing for a festival in the city he lives near, but he's been plagued with headaches as of late...

I've finished a couple of music tracks, one of which is more ambient noise, really. I also customized the gui a bit but I don't have any gameplay programmed into Ren'Py yet so I'll wait a little while to show that off. Consequently, I also don't know how much I've written of the story yet because I've got scenes written in a bunch of word documents instead of Ren'Py. But I'll start programming things in soon so I'll have more to show in a little while. ^^

MintGlow
Regular
Completed: Pippy's Ultimate Quest for Friendship (and Lessons)!!!, Myx's Bittersweet Musings, Sweetly Sweetened Sweets
Projects: Acquiesce, The Dose Makes The Poison
Deviantart: MintGlow
Soundcloud: MintGlow
itch: MintGlow
Discord: Carmints#6989

#3 Post by MintGlow »

Ooh, fantasy, and I love how you draw backgrounds!! Very cute! I can't draw backgrounds for the life of me XD And the lil guy is adorable too :3 Ambient noise still sounds interesting :D Can't wait to see your finished project!

azaraih
Regular
Projects: Alectrona: Space Party, Deadnettle Creek
Tumblr: azaraih
itch: azaraih

#4 Post by azaraih »

Ooh this game looks intriguing so far! Definitely interested to find out more about the story. I'm curious about what kind of festival it is, and who is this ancient queen? :O

I like the art a lot, especially the outdoors scene with the little tent and campfire! The color choices feel really nice, and the artwork you've shown so far makes me want to know more about what the fantasy world of this game is like. Also Gyel is very cute :]

Good luck with finishing what you want to get done this month! I hope everything goes well and I'm excited to see how it turns out!
Image Image

JenneMK
Regular

#5 Post by JenneMK »

MintGlow wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:24 am Ooh, fantasy, and I love how you draw backgrounds!! Very cute! I can't draw backgrounds for the life of me XD And the lil guy is adorable too :3 Ambient noise still sounds interesting :D Can't wait to see your finished project!
Thank you, MintGlow! ^^ Backgrounds can be a struggle, indeed. :D I love drawing nature fantasy but buildings, both interiors and exteriors, are a bit difficult for me. Hopefully nothing ends up looking too wonky. :D
azaraih wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:36 pm Ooh this game looks intriguing so far! Definitely interested to find out more about the story. I'm curious about what kind of festival it is, and who is this ancient queen? :O

I like the art a lot, especially the outdoors scene with the little tent and campfire! The color choices feel really nice, and the artwork you've shown so far makes me want to know more about what the fantasy world of this game is like. Also Gyel is very cute :]

Good luck with finishing what you want to get done this month! I hope everything goes well and I'm excited to see how it turns out!
Thank you, Azaraih! I'm glad you like what I've made so far and I hope you'll enjoy my little fantasy world once it's ready. ^^

Got a screenshot to show this time! ^^

I've struggled a bit with balancing the textbox/sprites for this game. The Aerellos, which are most of the characters you will see, are quite small compared to everyone else. Had to leave some room on screen for the taller folks! Although, I've accepted that some of the characters are just going to have to be shown in illustrations and not as sprites at all. ^^

Speaking of characters, here are a couple more! These are Gyel's siblings. ^^

This is Seri, his younger sister. Seri loves exploring but sometimes this can get her into trouble. ^^

And Rello, his younger brother. He seems quite serious, doesn't he?

According to Ren'Py I have 3,000 words coded in. I still have more story written I haven't put in Ren'Py, though, so I still have no idea what my actual current wordcount is. I feel very disorganized. :lol:

I'm also running a bit behind so I'mma go back to working on this game and... probably finish it at the last possible second. :D See you soon! ^^

ilyilaice
Regular
Completed: Flights of Fancy, Limbokin, Loveless on Lockdown, Aria at the Funeraria, Pusoy Dos, Jester Under Pressure, Dabbling in Drama, Iridescent Descent, Spirits of Limbo, Serial Killers Anonymous, Ferris Feels
Organization: Orca Martian Games
Tumblr: hurtinghabits
Deviantart: ilyilaice
itch: ilyilaice
Discord: ilyilaice

#6 Post by ilyilaice »

Wow! Everything is so colorful, from the backgrounds to the characters! Rello is my favorite so far. Such a vibrant and eye-catching world you've created here. Excited to see this project upon its release! I'm cheering you on. :D
Completed Games: Flights of Fancy (NaNoRenO 2019), Limbokin (NaNoRenO 2020), Loveless on Lockdown (NaNoRenO 2021), Aria at the Funeraria (Otome Jam 2021), Pusoy Dos (Spooktober 2021), Jester Under Pressure (NaNoRenO 2022), Dabbling in Drama (Otome Jam 2022), Iridescent Descent (Spooktober 2022), Spirits of Limbo (NaNoRenO 2023), Serial Killers Anonymous (Spooktober 2023), Ferris Feels (NaNoRenO 2024). See them all here.

MintGlow
Regular
Completed: Pippy's Ultimate Quest for Friendship (and Lessons)!!!, Myx's Bittersweet Musings, Sweetly Sweetened Sweets
Projects: Acquiesce, The Dose Makes The Poison
Deviantart: MintGlow
Soundcloud: MintGlow
itch: MintGlow
Discord: Carmints#6989

#7 Post by MintGlow »

JenneMK wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:24 pm
Thank you, MintGlow! ^^ Backgrounds can be a struggle, indeed. :D I love drawing nature fantasy but buildings, both interiors and exteriors, are a bit difficult for me. Hopefully nothing ends up looking too wonky. :D
I understand how backgrounds of buildings can be a struggle; everything needs to be so perfect x.x But you're doing wonderful! It feels like something out of a storybook. My eyes enjoy all the colors and elements you include in them :3 And ahh, more tiny cuties and little descriptions!!

Cheering you on! You're almost there :D

JenneMK
Regular

#8 Post by JenneMK »

MintGlow wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:52 am
I understand how backgrounds of buildings can be a struggle; everything needs to be so perfect x.x But you're doing wonderful! It feels like something out of a storybook. My eyes enjoy all the colors and elements you include in them :3 And ahh, more tiny cuties and little descriptions!!

Cheering you on! You're almost there :D
ilyilaice wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:50 am Wow! Everything is so colorful, from the backgrounds to the characters! Rello is my favorite so far. Such a vibrant and eye-catching world you've created here. Excited to see this project upon its release! I'm cheering you on. :D
Aw, thank you MintGlow and ilyilaice for the kind words and for cheering me on! ^^

A Mythic's Peace has been released! :D
https://jennemk.itch.io/a-mythics-peace

I actually released it yesterday, so I did make the NaNoRenO deadline! ^^ I was so tired, though, I was practically asleep while uploading it, haha. After getting some rest I'm looking forward to working on it more! ^^ And checking out other projects that have been made~~~

The story ended up being 7,500 words long. I do think this project was a bit too ambitious for NaNo and I ended up introducing too many characters in too short of a time, but hopefully it is an enjoyable read none-the-less. ^^

ilyilaice
Regular
Completed: Flights of Fancy, Limbokin, Loveless on Lockdown, Aria at the Funeraria, Pusoy Dos, Jester Under Pressure, Dabbling in Drama, Iridescent Descent, Spirits of Limbo, Serial Killers Anonymous, Ferris Feels
Organization: Orca Martian Games
Tumblr: hurtinghabits
Deviantart: ilyilaice
itch: ilyilaice
Discord: ilyilaice

#9 Post by ilyilaice »

Congrats on the release! Yes, do get all the rest you need and deserve! Releasing something new is such a huge accomplishment.

Even if the project ended up being too ambitious, at least you've managed to make it work! I understand how you feel, as my team's NaNo release was also the longest VN I've written so far (~28,000 words). My team was fortunate to release our project quite a few days before the deadline so we didn't experience that last-minute crunch. Is your project a solo effort? If so, that's incredibly impressive!
Completed Games: Flights of Fancy (NaNoRenO 2019), Limbokin (NaNoRenO 2020), Loveless on Lockdown (NaNoRenO 2021), Aria at the Funeraria (Otome Jam 2021), Pusoy Dos (Spooktober 2021), Jester Under Pressure (NaNoRenO 2022), Dabbling in Drama (Otome Jam 2022), Iridescent Descent (Spooktober 2022), Spirits of Limbo (NaNoRenO 2023), Serial Killers Anonymous (Spooktober 2023), Ferris Feels (NaNoRenO 2024). See them all here.

JenneMK
Regular

#10 Post by JenneMK »

ilyilaice wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:10 pm Congrats on the release! Yes, do get all the rest you need and deserve! Releasing something new is such a huge accomplishment.

Even if the project ended up being too ambitious, at least you've managed to make it work! I understand how you feel, as my team's NaNo release was also the longest VN I've written so far (~28,000 words). My team was fortunate to release our project quite a few days before the deadline so we didn't experience that last-minute crunch. Is your project a solo effort? If so, that's incredibly impressive!

Thank you! ^^ Wow, congrats on that writing milestone! That's a lot of work.

Somehow, two years ago, I managed to make a fairly long visual novel for NaNoRenO. I'm not quite sure how I managed to do it, since I'm normally a slow writer and prior to that only wrote short stories. I found I really enjoyed writing a longer fantasy story. Combine that with last year going... not great for me, haha, I was really itching to have fun and try my hand at another large fantasy story this year.

But then I basically lost a week at the start of NaNoRenO this year and had to compress my story quite a bit. But I realized that even if I had the whole month I wouldn't have been able to craft it as well as I really wanted to. Which has led me to the conclusion I want to start working on Visual Novels more outside of NaNoRenO!

Because of that, I'm very happy with what I managed to accomplish this year, even if the end result wasn't the best. Because now I get to reap the benefits of my worldbuilding and work at my own pace. So I am quite excited, actually! ^^

And yes, I've always done NaNoRenO by myself. ^^

(Also, your project is definitely on my 'to-read' list. :D )

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#11 Post by Zelan »

All of your art is GREAT but I'm actually a huge fan of your GUI haha, I feel like you do a really great job matching it to the feel of your games! Definitely looking forward to playing this :D