Lemma Soft Forums

Supporting creators of visual novels and story-based games since 2003.

Visit our new games list, blog aggregator, IRC channel, and Discord (new).
Activation problem? Email pytom@bishoujo.us.
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:56 pm 

I gave this a pretty good test and it looks like a success! The planner now displays correctly under the new GUI and all the interactions work. I also did some regression testing and the code also works if I run it under the legacy interface. :) There were a couple of things I thought I'd mention/ask about...

1. Under the new GUI, the buttons in the display planner don't have the same kind of visual as they did in legacy. They look like text rather than buttons. That might just be the way the new GUI works - I'm still wrapping my head around this stuff. :) (Note: the buttons still do everything they are supposed to - highlight on mouse over, change color when selected, etc.)

2. Also under the new GUI: right after you hit "Done Planning" you can see the default textbox graphic briefly transition in and then disappear right before it shows "Morning" in the center of the screen. I think this is probably more in the "DSE demo" part of the code and not really the "DSE engine", though. This may have also been there before, but the legacy interface doesn't seem to have a visible text box background by default so it would not have been apparent.

Thank you for all your help!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:06 pm 

Me again with a couple more things...

With regard to #2 from my prior post: If you try to reproduce what I said, I realized that the problem isn't visible on all GUI color schemes (because apparently not all GUI color schemes have a visible text box). I am using the light blue accent with white background, which is the 2nd item in the 3rd row in the GUI wizard. I'll also just zip up and attach my project in case that helps. It's just the default project with the DSE incorporated.

In a legacy project, the message "What should I do today?" is visible when the day planner is displayed. However, in a new GUI project that message fades out and is invisible when the day planner shows up. Not sure if this may be related to #2 from my prior post as well.

In playing around with the above, I noticed there were two places in main.rpy where the "What should I do today?" message could be generated:
- Line 85, under the day label
- Line 165, under the dp_callback label

From my testing it looks like the message is coming from "day" and that dp_callback is never called. I saw dp_callback described in the DSE documentation, so has it been deprecated? I couldn't find anything in the DSE engine that was calling it.

Attachments:
DSE GUI.zip [801 KiB]
Downloaded 4 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:02 pm 
Veteran

Organization: Metasepia Games
Twitter: @Andrea_Landaker
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
First, as to #1 - yes, that's just the default look of the new GUI.
Yes, you are right, the dp_callback stuff is old. Looks like I forgot to take that bit out; thanks for finding that.

Since we are using screen language now, it might make more sense to add the user's prompt like this in day_planner.rpy:

Code:
screen day_planner(periods): 
    # indicate to Ren'Py engine that this is a choice point
    $ renpy.choice_for_skipping()
    frame:
        style "dayplanner_frame"         
        use display_stats(name=True, bar=True, value=True, max=True)
        use display_planner(periods)
    use say(None,"What should I do today?")

I'm still thinking about if I want to include that in the DSE because then I would have to include a bunch of other files... but I hope that helps do what you want.

I'll take a look at that "say" screen that is fading in and out... I'm actually seeing that same problem with the game I'm working on, so I'm thinking it's probably not a DSE-specific thing, but probably something that has changed with the new-ish GUI.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:13 pm 

Thanks as always. Regarding the minor issue of the "What should I do today" line disappearing, I did a little digging through the documentation and I found a couple of alternatives that seem to work. One involves adding a couple of lines around line 87 of main.rpy:

Code:
    $ narrator("What should I do today?", interact=False)
    window show  # Force text box to be visible

# Now, we call the day planner, which may set the act variables
    # to new values. We call it with a list of periods that we want
    # to compute the values for.
    call screen day_planner(["Morning", "Afternoon", "Evening"])
    window auto  # Put text box back to auto show/hide

The other thing I found was config.window_auto_hide. You can change this setting to make "call screen" not hide the text box:

Code:
    $ config.window_auto_hide.remove("call screen")

Depending on the game you might need to add "call screen" back in (much like how I did a "window auto" in my sample code above).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 pm 
Veteran

Organization: Metasepia Games
Twitter: @Andrea_Landaker
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
OK, that looks like the proper way to do it. It doesn't work with the old code, though, so I will only include it once the rest of the code is updated to work better with the new stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7