[Tutorial] Animation and Transforms by Example

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

Re: [Tutorial] Animation and Transforms by Example

#16 Post by tiya_nofurita »

saguaro wrote:Yes, you would just show them both.

Code: Select all

label test:
    show rain    
    show lightning
    etc.
Of course I know that...I mean, um...some synchronization...?
...never mind then. I can managed with it somehow (parallel statement can be used with "repeat" statement just like animation, so it's easy :D )
Thank you for your tutorial again~

Well, kinda embarassed, but it's my first try anyway
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

CharlieTheMad256
Projects: The Wind Whisperer (name in progress aka, might change the name)

#17 Post by CharlieTheMad256 »

Hey, were do you put the code for basic fade? I've tried putting it in options but that doesn't seem to work. :?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#18 Post by Donmai »

Transform definitions must go into an Init block (I put mine in my main Script.rpy file).
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

If transforms aren't in an init block, Ren'Py automatically creates an init 0 block and puts them in it. It's only necessary to put one inside an init block by hand if you need to replace an existing transform. (This is true for many statements - image, define, transform, and screen work this way.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sabotage
Regular
Projects: Cupcake! [WIP-40%] :: Riddled [Idea-0%]

#20 Post by Sabotage »

Bless this post! I've been looking for this as I have somewhat grown tired of the usual "with dissolve" that we beginners are stuck with. Thanks so much, good sir!

AERenoir
Veteran

#21 Post by AERenoir »

Hmm, I was wondering what approach should i use if I want a sprite to "transform" into a different one. Like say a character was in disguise. Then when they remove the disguise, I want the sprite to change to a different one. How would I do that with ATL?

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#22 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Code: Select all

show clark regular
    clark "Lois, it's time you knew..."
    show clark costumed with dissolve # Change this to whatever effect you like.
    clark "...I love wearing women's clothes!"
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

AERenoir
Veteran

#23 Post by AERenoir »

Hm, would I need to hide the old sprite? Especially if the "disguise form" looks a lot different from the "reveal form". Example, the disguise was a shady character with trench coat and hat and stuff. Then he removes the disguise and turns out he's actually a very sexy lady or something.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#24 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

For character sprites, you can use more than one name. For example, if I have an image called "clark happy" and another called "clark sad", Rrnpy would recognise them as being images of the same character. This means when I show one image of Clark, the images of him that were already on the screen would be replaced with the new one.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Luxliev
Veteran
Soundcloud: Luxliev

#25 Post by Luxliev »

Amazing post and I think that it doesn't have enough views. I've implemented all of the examples into code. For anyone interested here is ready renpy folder.

I don't own any of these pictures, all of them are used for educational purposes only.
Attachments
Animation and Transform.zip
(3.12 MiB) Downloaded 255 times
Newest classical cover: Advance Wars - Sami Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=657Jt7hJRVc

Forum with my music: http://luxliev.proboards.com/

bloodyhair
Regular
Deviantart: Takada-Wang

#26 Post by bloodyhair »

Thank so much! <3 this is really helping a lot to make a smooth transition. I think I only need to get used with it in order to make a better use of it :D

I wonder if you can make a video on how the result of the code would be looks like? I hope that wasn't a hassle for you ><

Gryphbear
Regular

#27 Post by Gryphbear »

Okay. I have 4 images I want to 'cycle' through - only once in sequence - what would you suggest I use? They're 4 sprites that I've created to try to simulate the 'effect' of teleporting. I want to try to condense 10 lines -- but I'm not exactly sure where to start in using ATL.

I've tried the 'rain' example, but it worked -- a bit funkily. It cycled through the first 3-4 then sorta went backwards 1 or 2, then stopped on the last image.

Any tips? I want to create an ATL to show 4 images in a row with some 'delay' inbetween each one, and have it disappear at the end.
WIP: Ring av Guder - (Contemporary Fantasy VN/Dating Sim?)

What do you get when you inherit a mystical ring, meet Norse Dieties, and Werewolves, Satyrs, or Dwarves? Possibilities.

General Completion: 5% - (Still working on story plot.)
Story status: 1% (In progress of revamping)
Scripting: 1% (Prologue is about done)
Character Art: 0% (Would like to find a Bara-type Artist, but will learn to draw them myself if necessary)
BG/CG's: 0% (None so far)

017Bluefield
Regular
Projects: Project Bluefield - Origins
Organization: Autumn Rain
Deviantart: playerzero17
itch: autumn-rain

#28 Post by 017Bluefield »

Is any of this applicable to screens? (e.g. confirm screens)

017Bluefield
Regular
Projects: Project Bluefield - Origins
Organization: Autumn Rain
Deviantart: playerzero17
itch: autumn-rain

#29 Post by 017Bluefield »

Gryphbear wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:11 pm Okay. I have 4 images I want to 'cycle' through - only once in sequence - what would you suggest I use? They're 4 sprites that I've created to try to simulate the 'effect' of teleporting. I want to try to condense 10 lines -- but I'm not exactly sure where to start in using ATL.

I've tried the 'rain' example, but it worked -- a bit funkily. It cycled through the first 3-4 then sorta went backwards 1 or 2, then stopped on the last image.

Any tips? I want to create an ATL to show 4 images in a row with some 'delay' inbetween each one, and have it disappear at the end.
  • Don't use a repeat at the end. If you do need a repeat, add an integer after it (e.g. repeat 2, repeat 3...)
  • After the last image, use something like linear 1.0 alpha 0.0 to fade it out. (That might require invoking alpha 0.0 or 1.0 at the beginning, but I'm not sure how accurate that is...)