Helping playtesters generate feedback.

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Helping playtesters generate feedback.

#1 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

There are probably better ways to do this, but nobody else has posted it yet, so I'll give it a go. The idea is that sometimes you want to know which choices the testers made during through the course of the game, and give them an easy way to tell you.

There are a few steps, some of which you can skip, and all of which you can change.

Step 1: Adding a menu option, because it's a logical place to have it.
Open your screens.rpy, and find a part called screen navigation. Add a button for the testers to press somewhere amongst the similar existing buttons.

Code: Select all

textbutton _("Generate Feedback") action Jump("generate_feedback_file")
Step 2: Creating the feedback generator.
You can put this code anywhere you like. Personally I created a new .rpy file called Feedback.rpy, just to stay organized. Change the info to match your project.

init python:
    import pickle
        with open(os.path.join(config.renpy_base, "feedback.txt"), "w") as file:
            pickle.dump(s, file)    

# This part puts together all the info that will be saved to the text file.
label generate_feedback_file:
    $ feedback = str("The protagonist's name is " + mcs_name + " " + mcs_surname + ".\n\They are " 
+ mcs_gender + ", and  " + mc_he_or_she + " is from " + mcs_city + " in " + mcs_country + ".\n\The player took " 
+ str(time_taken_to_choose_gender_in_minutes) + " minutes and " + str(time_taken_to_choose_gender_in_seconds) + " seconds to choose the protagonist's gender.\n\ "
+ str(mcs_initial_feelings_about_the_first_invitation_to_japan) +  ".\n\ " 
+ what_did_the_mc_tell_dave_about_their_japanese_ability + ".")

# If you want to show the player a message to confirm this functionality is working, do it here.

$ create_feedback(feedback)
    infodump "[feedback]"
    return

# Don't forget to set an initial state for variables, to avoid errors later.
# Don't be afraid of variable names that are easy to read.
# Call this next label at the start of your game.

label prepare_variables:
    $ mcs_name = "undecided"
    $ mcs_surname = ""
    $ mcs_gender = "of an undetermined gender"
    $ mc_he_or_she = "this person"
    $ mcs_city = "an unknown city"
    $ mcs_country = "an unknown country"
    $ time_taken_to_choose_gender_in_minutes = 0
    $ time_taken_to_choose_gender_in_seconds = 0
    $ mcs_initial_feelings_about_the_first_invitation_to_japan = "They have not yet been invited to Japan"
    $ what_did_the_mc_tell_dave_about_their_japanese_ability = "They have not met Dave yet"
All that's left is to get them to send you feedback.txt. Be aware that it may be in an unexpected folder (I haven't tried archiving this and testing). If you want, you could set the destination folder.

Any thoughts, questions or improvements? Let me know.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Helping playtesters generate feedback.

#2 Post by Andredron »

TrickWithAKnife wrote: Wed May 15, 2013 12:02 pm There are probably better ways to do this, but nobody else has posted it yet, so I'll give it a go. The idea is that sometimes you want to know which choices the testers made during through the course of the game, and give them an easy way to tell you.
Code for the user to be able to enter data that will be saved to a text file. What would be 40 times not to enter variables on +1, etc. made each time a new file was created.Who does not need to be able to correct the code as he needs

download file https://vk.com/doc189145553_444122554?h ... 16db20c2aa

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Helping playtesters generate feedback.

#3 Post by Andredron »

How to implement sending a bug report to RenPy (a variant of crutches).
In the game added a button , clicking on which, the user will be able to send an error report. It is made simply:
1. We need a form through which the user can report an error. Looking for suggestive questions, etc. To do this, created a form on google docs. See what did, you can here - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform
2. Actually, the button itself. The screens file. Screen, responsible for the quick menu (screen quick_menu). Adding a line

textbutton _ ("Report an error") action OpenURL ("https://www.goo.gl/xxxxxx";)
Voila, at tyke get on the google docs form. The form owner has statistics about the answers