Ren'Py QuickStart [Gallery, Codex, Scheduler, Tutorials etc]

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

Re: Ren'Py QuickStart [Gallery, Codex, Scheduler, Tutorials

#76 Post by noeinan »

So, the gallery code was not written by me, but by leon (used here with permission). For more in depth questions on the gallery code, you'll need to ask over on the thread here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=22465

I can, however, answer some of your questions.
bloodyhair wrote: 1.

Code: Select all

gallery_cg_items = ["cg1", "cg2", "cg3", "cg4", "cg5", "cg6", "cg7", "cg8", "cg9", "cg10", "cg11"
is the "cg1" is the name of file? is that fine to just putting name without tag .jpg and such?
"cg1" is whatever you have defined the file as. You cannot just put the file name without .jpg. If you look at the main script file for this quickstart, you can see that I have defined my CGs with those names:

init:

image cg1 = "cg01.jpg"
    image cg2 = "cg02.jpg"
    image cg3 = "cg03.jpg"
    image cg4 = "cg04.jpg"
    image cg5 = "cg05.jpg"
    image cg6 = "cg06.jpg"
    image cg7 = "cg07.jpg"
    image cg8 = "cg08.jpg"
    image cg9 = "cg09.jpg"
    image cg10 = "cg10.jpg"
    image cg11 = "cg11.jpg"
You'll need to change the names to whatever you have defined your CGs as. It's important to define your images in an "init block" so that your images are defined before the gallery buttons are created. (The gallery buttons use the image definitions, so if you don't have them you will get an error.)
bloodyhair wrote: 2.

for gal_item in gallery_cg_items:
        g_cg.button(gal_item + " butt")
        g_cg.image(gal_item)
        g_cg.unlock(gal_item)
    g_cg.transition = fade
    cg_page=0
what is the "butt" mean?
It is my understanding that " butt" is an image tag used to reference a button. It creates a button/thumbnail for each CG, but it is generated internally (so it's not created from a picture, instead from the code itself.)
bloodyhair wrote: 3.

'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 586, in <module>
    renpy.image(gal_item + "butt", im.Scale(ImageReference(gal_item), thumbnail_x, thumbnail_y))
Exception: Expected an image, but got a general displayable.
I got this error code. I wonder what is wrong with the code so I can fix it?

Thank you very much
I can't say for sure what this error message is from, but I would recommend making sure that you have defined your cg images, and check to make sure there are no typos. Whatever your images have been defined as must exactly match the list from your first question, or else the code won't know where to find the images and you will get an error.

If you've double checked and it is still not working, maybe check on leon's thread to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, and if not make a post with your code attached and hopefully leon can lend a hand.

bloodyhair
Regular
Deviantart: Takada-Wang

#77 Post by bloodyhair »

Hmm.. I will try to define the picture first. Thank you very much! I really got confused where to define the picture before since I didn't see it >< I never thought it would be on script.rpy

You really are a great helper. Thank you very much :D

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#78 Post by noeinan »

Glad to help, good luck with your project! :)

hiroki2k
Projects: Kaichō Wa Gēmā Desu!
Organization: Fuji Doujin Soft
Deviantart: othork

#79 Post by hiroki2k »

I'm using the codex in this topic on my game, and I managed somehow to adapt it to a lower res. My main problem is showing an image.

I show the image with the " add "imageroute/image.png " code, but it puts the image after the text, and I would like to have it on a fixed position.

Thanks in advance (And sorry for the necropost)

Blue Books
Completed: Double/Cross
Projects: The Golden Phoenix Inn
Deviantart: Blue-Books

#80 Post by Blue Books »

Your tutorials have been insanely helpful. So thanks very much for making them, I would debase myself in gratitude for all the hours you've no doubt saved me, if I weren't worried I'd hit my head on the desk.

I've just got a quick question about the scheduler:

Would it be possible to add a integer variable instead of the string variable to dictate the progression?

What I mean is at end of each of your sub menu's you change a Boolean variable for week_1 through week_4, and force a loop until each week has a variable besides none.

In the game I'm working on, I'd like all available options to be able to mix and match, so as long as any three options are clicked the player can progress.

I've tried inputting an integer instead of a string though, and it's telling me the syntax is invalid.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#81 Post by noeinan »

hiroki2k wrote:I'm using the codex in this topic on my game, and I managed somehow to adapt it to a lower res. My main problem is showing an image.

I show the image with the " add "imageroute/image.png " code, but it puts the image after the text, and I would like to have it on a fixed position.

Thanks in advance (And sorry for the necropost)
Oh, sorry for the late response hiroki2k, I'm only just seeing your message. I had been planning to release different versions of the base code in different resolutions to help people out. What resolution are you working in? And I realize that because of my delay you might have already fixed this problem, but if not a screenshot would be greatly appreciated so I can get a visual on what you're working with.
Blue Books wrote:Your tutorials have been insanely helpful. So thanks very much for making them, I would debase myself in gratitude for all the hours you've no doubt saved me, if I weren't worried I'd hit my head on the desk.
Hey, I'm glad that you've found it helpful. I've been meaning to go through it again with updates, but things have been so hectic I haven't had the chance yet, haha.
Blue Books wrote:I've just got a quick question about the scheduler:

Would it be possible to add a integer variable instead of the string variable to dictate the progression?

What I mean is at end of each of your sub menu's you change a Boolean variable for week_1 through week_4, and force a loop until each week has a variable besides none.

In the game I'm working on, I'd like all available options to be able to mix and match, so as long as any three options are clicked the player can progress.

I've tried inputting an integer instead of a string though, and it's telling me the syntax is invalid.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!
Hmmmm, I think I partly understand what you are going for. Could you paste the original code and then the code that's getting you the error message so I can get a better picture?

Blue Books

#82 Post by Blue Books »

Thanks very much.

This is the original code I'm talking about:

$week01 = None
    $week02 = None
    $week03 = None
    $week04 = none

label schedule_repeat
    call screen schedule
    if week01 is None or week02 is None or week03 is None or week04 is None:

"Please pick an activity for every week of the month."

jump schedule repeat
And the sub-menus:

textbutton "Art" action SetVariable("week01", "Art")
textbutton "Fencing" action SetVariable("week01", "Fencing")
etc.

I've tried to extrapolate and use a similar code to disallow continuation for what is going to be a Potion making mini game (hence the very strange names for some of the following code).

So I have:

$ingredient = 0

label potionmaker_repeat:
    call screen potionmaker
    if ingredient <3:
        "There has to be more to a potion than that..."

jump potionmakerscreen_repeat
The buttons are where I seem to be running into the problem, I've laid them out in a variety of ways and I can't seem to get rid of this 'Invalid syntax' or sometimes a 'object has no attribute' error, which I thought should only occur if my 'ingredient' variable didn't exist, unless I'm completely misunderstanding that error.

textbutton "Woodruff" action SetVariable("ingredient" +=1), ("woodruff" = True)
With buttons like this I get an invalid syntax error

I've tried other way's of laying it out such as:

textbutton "Wake Robin" action SetVariable (("ingredient +=1"), ("woodruff" = True))

textbutton "Wing Of Moth" action SetVariable (ingredient +=1), ("wingofmoth" = True)
and I get the same error.

I'm relatively new to Python code so I'm wondering whether I just relocated my brain to my stomach and laid it out wrong or if the code needs to be completely different for this to work?

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#83 Post by philat »

This isn't really core to the QuickStart, so it probably belongs more in the general questions section. That said, the correct syntax for what you were trying to do is this

textbutton "Wing of Moth" action [ SetVariable("ingredient", ingredient + 1), SetVariable("wingofmoth", True) ]
Note the use of quotation marks in the NAME of the variable, but not when used to refer to the value of the variable (ingredient + 1). Note also that in order to use SetVariable, I believe the variable has to exist already (i.e., put a default wingofmoth = False in an init block somewhere).

Actually, however, if you intend to allow multiple ingredients (e.g., 2 wings, 1 woodruff), the much better way to approach it is using a list:

label potionmaker_repeat:
    $ ingredientlist = []
    call screen potionmaker
    if len(ingredientlist) <3: # repeats until there are three items in the ingredient list, then falls through to make_potion
        jump potionmaker_repeat

label make_potion:
    # now use the ingredientlist to make potions as you see fit

screen potionmaker:
    # blah blah relevant code
    textbutton "Wing of Moth" action AddToSet(ingredientlist, "wingofmoth")
If you DON'T intend to allow multiples of the same ingredient, then you'll need to figure that out as well. Will you prevent people from clicking the same button twice? If not, if for instance using the first code I posted, someone clicks Wing of Moth twice and Woodruff 1, so you end up with

ingredient = 3
wingofmoth = True
woodruff = True

how will you parse that into a recipe? (You can't tell whether Wings was clicked twice or Woodruff was clicked twice. But then again, depending on the system, you may not care.) Etc. etc. Lots of little details that I'm sure you'll have fun figuring out. ;)

Anyhow, good luck. Take this; it's dangerous to go alone. https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_actions.html

Blue Books

#84 Post by Blue Books »

This isn't really core to the QuickStart, so it probably belongs more in the general questions section.
Sorry about that. My bad.

That's a great idea. And thanks as well for pointing out that problem, I'll probably have to change the Boolean variable to another counter and have code possibilities for that too. Wonderful, it's shaping up pretty well now I can get it to work though, so thanks for the link and all the help here.

hiroki2k
Projects: Kaichō Wa Gēmā Desu!
Organization: Fuji Doujin Soft
Deviantart: othork

#85 Post by hiroki2k »

daikiraikimi wrote:Oh, sorry for the late response hiroki2k, I'm only just seeing your message. I had been planning to release different versions of the base code in different resolutions to help people out. What resolution are you working in? And I realize that because of my delay you might have already fixed this problem, but if not a screenshot would be greatly appreciated so I can get a visual on what you're working with.
I'm working on 640x480, in order to have it on good size for the phone (also the asset's size is like that). The problem is that if I try to add an image, if I add another line of text before the image tag, the image appears below it. It's there a way of putting the image like on a frame, and when there's text added, it stops where the image appears so it doesn't interfere? (Can't add a screenshot or part of the code at the moment, sorry)

PS: Don't worry, we all have our things besides the forum ^^

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#86 Post by noeinan »

Thanks for your patience. :) I'm actually currently recovering from surgery, so my to-do list is piling up IRL, haha.

I'm not 100% sure I can give good advice on your code without seeing it, but I can say that once I'm able to get back to developing this guide I can try to include that resolution in the extra releases. It will probably take me a while to get back to it and then refamiliarize myself with the code again, but if you are able to get a screencap or code segment before then I will do my best to help out there!

Bryy
Veteran
Completed: 30+ games so far
Projects: Furry Shakespeare
Organization: Stegalosaurus Game Development

#87 Post by Bryy »

This is great. Gonna get a lot of legwork outta this. Thanks!

LinaG

#88 Post by LinaG »

I have a beginner doubt. How do I limit Stress to never reach <0? I mean it makes no sense for Stress or Money to be negative in my mind or other parameters, so I would love to know how to limit the parameters to a minimum in your framework that is absolutely amazing by the way!

Thanks

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#89 Post by noeinan »

LinaG wrote:I have a beginner doubt. How do I limit Stress to never reach <0? I mean it makes no sense for Stress or Money to be negative in my mind or other parameters, so I would love to know how to limit the parameters to a minimum in your framework that is absolutely amazing by the way!

Thanks
Glad that it's been helpful! I think that making it so any stat, such as money or stress, doesn't go below zero, you would just need to make an if statement, probably in the month label. Something like...

If Stress <0 then Stress = 0 (not using proper syntax here, but I hope I got the general idea across!)

Sami-Fire
Regular
Tumblr: execdreamcycle
Deviantart: Sami-Fire
Soundcloud: Sami-Fire

#90 Post by Sami-Fire »

Hello there! I'm using the scheduler code (no need for the inventory or codex at this moment; I wonder if leaving those out broke something) for my game, and right after my opening dialogue, my game crashes and produces this traceback:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 101, in script
    $ renpy.jump(current_week)
ScriptError: could not find label 'None'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 277, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 478, in main
    run(restart)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 144, in run
    renpy.execution.run_context(True)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\execution.py", line 734, in run_context
    context.run()
  File "game/script.rpy", line 101, in script
    $ renpy.jump(current_week)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\script.py", line 843, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))
ScriptError: could not find label 'None'.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.11.1749
Hybrid Theory 1.0
I think I have the gist of what's wrong- since current_week is set to None at the beginning but there's no None label for it to refer to, the game crashes. However, my attempts to fix the problem by changing that starting label or adding a None label get me variations on the "grid not full" errors (sorry, no tracebacks at this moment, because I reset my code to just before this error and can't re-break things right now). Can you help me with this?

Thank you!

EDIT: Here's what happens when I add a "None" label in for the game to go to.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 91, in script
    "Let's pick this week's schedule."
  File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 76, in _window_auto_callback
    _window_show()
  File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 49, in _window_show
    renpy.with_statement(trans)
Exception: Grid not completely full.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 91, in script
    "Let's pick this week's schedule."
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 577, in execute
    statement_name("say")
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 42, in statement_name
    i(name)
  File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 76, in _window_auto_callback
    _window_show()
  File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 49, in _window_show
    renpy.with_statement(trans)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\exports.py", line 1370, in with_statement
    return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2058, in do_with
    clear=clear)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2496, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2850, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 1916, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 416, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen\renpy.display.render.c:6685)
    rv = render(root, width, height, 0, 0)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 185, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2857)
    rv = d.render(widtho, heighto, st, at)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 661, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 103, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3319)
    cpdef render(d, object widtho, object heighto, double st, double at):
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 185, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2857)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\transition.py", line 362, in render
    bottom = render(self.old_widget, width, height, st, at)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 103, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3319)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 661, in render
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 618, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1046, in render
    st, at)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Simply Stuff\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 380, in render
    raise Exception("Grid not completely full.")
Exception: Grid not completely full.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.11.1749
Hybrid Theory 1.0