Ren'Py QuickStart [Gallery, Codex, Scheduler, Tutorials etc]

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

Re: Ren'Py QuickStart [Gallery, Codex, Scheduler, Tutorials

#46 Post by noeinan »

Glad you found it useful! I'll answer your questions as best I can.
Azure wrote:I'd like to use the Codex to display characters in the player's team, I'd like for them only to appear once they've been recruited. I assume I have to change something in codex1 in screens.renpy to check for variables for each recruit able character?
You'll want to look into persistent data for this one-- I haven't explored it too much myself, but if you search around using that term you should find what you need. :)
Azure wrote:What would the best way to handle a date based event be? Say the tournament is the last week of the second month? I don't want the player to pick the normal activities so I'd want to either change the options or grey it out and auto take the player to that event in week 4? What would I need to change ( and ideally specify so not every week 4 gets turned into a tournament).
I have an example of a date-based event in the event trigger label. It's called the Harvest Festival-- if you search the script.rpy for harvest you should find it right away. For a tournament, I'd recommend making a whole new schedule with the options you want. All you need to do is make a copy of the schedule.rpy file, and edit it to fit your needs. (Change the screen name to tournament, edit the grid if you want a different number of options, etc.)

If you need more detailed help with the schedule, let me know. :)

Azure
Regular

#47 Post by Azure »

Thank you knew I should have looked through again thanks.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#48 Post by noeinan »

No problem. :)

tokya2502
Regular
Completed: Princesses's Maid
Projects: Princess's pet, PUGATE
Organization: Toki Production
Tumblr: toki-aah
Deviantart: tokya2502

#49 Post by tokya2502 »

Hello!! Thank you very much for making this, I have been struggling with renpy forever lol. Ah btw, Is it just me or the links of the first post dead? I can't download anything in this thread at all :( . My internet is totally fine and I've tried downloading other things from other threads and they all work well. Could you check it, please? Thank you!! Sorry for bothering!! Have a nice day!
P/s: Please excuse my awkward English

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#50 Post by noeinan »

Hm, I just tried to download them and the links are working fine. I used the .rar file format in most of my thread, but then switched to .zip because a Mac user told me it was harder for them to open .rar files.

Perhaps your computer is having trouble with .zip?

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#51 Post by noeinan »

It's been a while since I posted an update here! I'm currently working on creating an image-based GUI home screen, and giving actual progress bars to the stats. (Thanks to great tutorial code by OokamiKasumi and CheeryMoya.)

When I'm done revamping the sub-menus, I will be adding an example introduction sequence which allows the player to input their own name, age, and gender. Attached are some screenshots of my progress.

(Princess Maker 2 buttons used as placeholders until I make my own.)

[Edit]

Keeping a list of threads I have found useful, so that I can credit people later. Also, so that anyone looking for these features but can't wait for the next installment can use them!

Fillable bar graphics:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=22147
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=16273

User input for player name:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=12008
Attachments
2014.11.03 raisingsim_homescreen.png
2014.11.03 raisingsim_statscreen.png

soggybottoms
Regular

#52 Post by soggybottoms »

This is such a great help! I'm eagerly looking forward to each new update! I'm currently working on a PM2-inspired raising sim that starts with an infant and goes to adulthood... a bit too ambitious for my first game project ever, but I hear that's a common mistake so at least I'm not alone. ;)

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to deal with time progression, especially since not a lot of interest really happens before the kid is old enough to start school. Thinking of creating duplicates of all the schedule and event checker files.. then just tweaking them to fit different age-groups (ages 0 - 4 progressing 3 months per scheduling cycle so you only need to set their schedule 4 times per year, gradually stretching out longer as age increases). Do you think making duplicates would be the best way to handle this? I'd love some feedback!

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#53 Post by noeinan »

Glad you found it useful. :) I have a really hard time coming up with small games, actually-- I tried to make one for NaNoRenO but somehow after bringing a writer on board it got bigger. Still not terribly huge, but I haven't finished it yet, haha.

So, for your game, you interact with the kid less when they are very small and more when they get older? Hm. I guess that depends on how in depth you want to go with infant-toddler interaction. For only a few times per year, you might not need a schedule at all. Perhaps you just make a few choices which apply to the child and affect their growth? (Ex. choose whether to stay home with them, or to send them to day care, etc.) This would make a more streamlined early development process, but to make it more interesting you might have triggered events-- either random, or based on choices/stats.

If you want to have more detailed interactions early on, then maybe you will want a full calendar, but I recommend not only reusing the exact code. The default scheduler I made has four weeks, so you might instead want to change it to four months (or reduce the number and make it three months, whichever works.) In that case, you might have screens called baby_schedule, toddler_schedule, etc. and you call each one instead of the main schedule.

soggybottoms
Regular

#54 Post by soggybottoms »

Hey, I really like your idea about making age-specific screens as opposed to entirely different calendar systems. That makes a lot more sense. X) So far everything I've tinkered with has been purely text-based and I haven't even made my own screen yet; the coding is a bit intimidating but I need to start getting into it. That's the programming logic stuff that's been the hardest to wrap my creative-visual mind around.

The interactivity should be about the same with each age, though there's decidedly less you can do with an infant than with a preteen (I worry that the lack of variety in terms of activities and the entire pre-speaking period could get dull for someone to play through). Not sure if it'll be too much to pull off, but currently I'm trying for a mix of classic VN and child raiser.. so in addition to schedule decisions, there are abundant triggered events and it feels more like you're playing through a storyline. Once the kid enters school that'll make the schedule picking a lot more involved and there will be a separate school-day simulation (sort of like the adventuring option in PM2 where you take direct control of the daughter, only not RPG Maker style ;P)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#55 Post by noeinan »

Just posting a quick update, I'm currently working on including a map in the quickstart-- for the "Raising Sim" framework I'm putting it into the calendar under the "Explore" section. Not sure whether to fit it into the "Dating Sim" framework or not? Since this is original code, not code I've gotten permission to use from other folks, I will probably post it all on its own just in case.

Right now, I have finished the generic art for the map (using a map from wikimedia) and the map will hide areas that the player has not visited yet! The features I'm adding next allow the player to click on the map to enter that area, and will put a marker on the map that keeps track of the current location of the player. :) Will be uploading it as soon as I'm done programming those bits!

Attached some screenshots to show what I have so far.
Attachments
Hidden Map.png
Revealed Map.png

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#56 Post by noeinan »

Okay, the map is now interactive, so clicking one section of the map will take you to that area. I haven't yet finished combining this code with the "Raising Sim" release, but if anyone wants to just get the map on its own you can find it here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=30305

IchigoRice
Projects: Purple Blossoms

#57 Post by IchigoRice »

Bless you for this, I've been trying to find a good tutorial and this may just be the best of them.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#58 Post by noeinan »

Thanks, I'm glad it helps. :)

Cherub

#59 Post by Cherub »

Thank you so much! :) keep up the good work!

Mii

#60 Post by Mii »

hi there, I am having a bit of trouble getting calendar date events to activate/trigger- like for example halloween or valentines day won't activate
the built in event wouldn't trigger even when I only changed the the tiniest bit for testing it
original

Code: Select all

label start:
    $ _game_menu_screen = "game_menu" # This code activates the "pause menu" in screens.rpy
    $ calendar = Calendar(31, 1, 2014, 2016) # Calendar(day, month, year, first leap year (can be ignored))
    $ day_cnt = 0
    $ current_week = "None"
mine

Code: Select all

label start:
    $ _game_menu_screen = "game_menu" # This code activates the "pause menu" in screens.rpy
    $ calendar = Calendar(28, 9, 2014, 2016) # Calendar(day, month, year, first leap year (can be ignored))
    $ day_cnt = 0
    $ current_week = "None"
other events (like ones based on stats do trigger) just not the calendar date related ones. if you could help me out I would much appreciate it!