Instant CG and BG gallery

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Riku
Regular

Re: Instant CG and BG gallery

#16 Post by Riku »

Kindynos wrote:Hello! I must say that your code is really nice-looking, and useful! However, I'm having a bit of a trouble with it, I suppose you can help me, yes?
So, pasting it to my game didn't work properly, so I did it the other way round, pasting my game's files on to your code. but it gave me this one traceback
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While executing init code:
File "game/screens.rpy", line 582, in script
File "game/screens.rpy", line 585, in python
Exception: Expected an image, but got a general displayable.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Documents and Settings\csepulve\Desktop\javivivuvu\ren'py\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 265, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Documents and Settings\csepulve\Desktop\javivivuvu\ren'py\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 269, in main
game.context().run(node)
File "C:\Documents and Settings\csepulve\Desktop\javivivuvu\ren'py\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
node.execute()
File "C:\Documents and Settings\csepulve\Desktop\javivivuvu\ren'py\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 718, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Documents and Settings\csepulve\Desktop\javivivuvu\ren'py\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1297, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/screens.rpy", line 585, in <module>
renpy.image (gal_item + " butt", im.Scale(ImageReference(gal_item), thumbnail_x, thumbnail_y))
File "C:\Documents and Settings\csepulve\Desktop\javivivuvu\ren'py\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\display\im.py", line 643, in __init__
im = image(im)
File "C:\Documents and Settings\csepulve\Desktop\javivivuvu\ren'py\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\display\im.py", line 1536, in image
return image(arg.target, loose=loose, **properties)
File "C:\Documents and Settings\csepulve\Desktop\javivivuvu\ren'py\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\display\im.py", line 1551, in image
raise Exception("Expected an image, but got a general displayable.")

Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Ren'Py 6.15.7.374
A Ren'Py Game 0.0
I checked these lines and this is what I have.

Code: Select all

init python:
 #   Here we create the thumbnails. We create a grayscale thumbnail image for BGs, but we use a special "locked" image for CGs to prevent spoilers.
    for gal_item in gallery_cg_items:
        renpy.image (gal_item + " butt", im.Scale(ImageReference(gal_item), thumbnail_x, thumbnail_y))
    for gal_item in gallery_bg_items:
        renpy.image (gal_item + " butt dis", im.Grayscale(ImageReference(gal_item + " butt")))
I honestly don't understand how to fix that ;; may you help me?

//by the way I'm just trying to do a CG gallery, actually, not the bg one//
Same problem for me and I've tried this
You need to replace "cg1", "cg2",... with your images. If you've done that, check your image definitions for typos.
and that
Also delete all the lines that include the word "bg"
, but it doesn't work.

I don't understand what's the matter since it works perfectly in the exemple you provide.

I don't understand either what "butt" suppose to be. Yes, a button, but what for and wich image should we use to replace it? It will be usefull if you explain it clearly.

P.S. : I'm using a 1280 x 720 resolution, but I don't think it's a problem, because I've tried to add the same resolution to your exemple and once again it works perfectly.

So, it will be really nice if you can solve this out! :mrgreen:

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#17 Post by leon »

Have you put your image definitions under "init"? Like this...

init:
    image cg1 = "cg1.jpg"
You need that, so the images are defined before the buttons are created. Basically what the error is saying, is that one of the items in gallery_cg_items variable is not an image.
Riku wrote:I don't understand either what "butt" suppose to be. Yes, a button, but what for and wich image should we use to replace it? It will be usefull if you explain it clearly.
It's for buttons/thumbnails for every CG (and BG) image. They are automatically generated and used internally, so you don't need to replace anything.

Riku
Regular

#18 Post by Riku »

leon wrote:Have you put your image definitions under "init"? Like this...

init:
    image cg1 = "cg1.jpg"
You need that, so the images are defined before the buttons are created.
Yup I've done it, but it still not working... That's weird... Anyway, I've managed to make it work! :mrgreen:

Instead of inserting the script in my game screen thingy, I've put my game files into the "All-In-One RenPy Framework" of Daikiraikimi (it containt the BG and CG gallery thing) and I deleted all the things that I didn't want. Aaaaaaaaand that's it, it works! Not so practical, but it's alright with me.

Now, I was wondering; what about CG with variations. Can we add a thingy to show the CG and all its varations in the same thumnail thing??? ... Hope you understand what I mean! Kinda hard to explain.

Thanks a bunch for your explanation! Didn't work for me, but I'm sure it will help someone else! :D

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest

#19 Post by leon »

Glad you got it working. :)
Riku wrote:Now, I was wondering; what about CG with variations. Can we add a thingy to show the CG and all its varations in the same thumnail thing??? ... Hope you understand what I mean! Kinda hard to explain.
If you check out the BG gallery, there's a commented out example that does this. You can use the same thing for the CG gallery.

if gal_item == "bg kitchen":
            g_bg.image("bg kitchen dining")
            g_bg.unlock("bg kitchen dining")
In the example "bg kitchen" is the first variation of the image (also used for the thumbnail) and "bg kitchen dining" is the second variation.

Riku
Regular

#20 Post by Riku »

Doesn't seem to work... :(
Even in the exemple. I'd just remove the "#" but it shows me this error message:

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 11, in script
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 105, in python
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 75, in python
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
I understand nothing of it! X)

I also tried ajusting the original script to my situation:

if gal_item == "cg1":
            g_cg.image("cg1B")
            g_cg.unlock("cg1B")
g_cg.transition = fade
    cg_page=0
but it doesn't work either, showing me this:
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/screens.rpy", line 578: expecting name after dot.
g_cg.image("cg1B")
^

File "game/screens.rpy", line 579: expected statement.
g_cg.unlock("cg1B")
^

File "game/screens.rpy", line 580: expected statement.
g_cg.transition = fade
^
And again I don't really understand (I'm kinda noob in programmation).

Can you explain it to me please? :roll:

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by leon »

Riku wrote:Doesn't seem to work... :(
Even in the exemple. I'd just remove the "#" but it shows me this error message:

Yes, you need to adjust it, like you did... g_bg is an object that doesn't exist, if you deleted the parts for teh BG gallery.

You also need to put it the right spot:

gal_cells = gal_rows * gal_cols    
    g_cg = Gallery()
        g_cg.button(gal_item + " butt")
        g_cg.image(gal_item)
        g_cg.unlock(gal_item)

if gal_item == "cg1":
            g_cg.image("cg1B")
            g_cg.unlock("cg1B")

g_cg.transition = fade
    cg_page=0
I hope that works. :) There's also the documentation for the Ren'Py image gallery. If you haven't already, make sure to read it.

Riku
Regular

#22 Post by Riku »

It works! :mrgreen:

Looks like the code lines must be perfectly aligned though!

Well thank you! It was a lot easier to understand than the image gallery of the cookbook! :wink:

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#23 Post by Kokoro Hane »

This code is AMAZING! I made sure to read this thread and responses before applying, I did what was needed, and it worked with my first try! Thank you so much for providing this code, it is beautiful and simple to use! <3
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#24 Post by Fenrir34 »

I put in your code and erased the bg's and but parts but I still get an error. Please help.

#Gallery    
init python:
    #Galleries settings - start
    #list the CG gallery images here:
    gallery_cg_items = ["sky_night.png"]
    #list the BG gallery images here (if a BG includes several variations, such as night version, include only one variation here):
    #how many rows and columns in the gallery screens?
    gal_rows = 3
    gal_cols = 3
    #thumbnail size in pixels:
    thumbnail_x = 267
    thumbnail_y = 150
    #the setting above (267x150) will work well with 16:9 screen ratio. Make sure to adjust it, if your are using 4:3 or something else.
    #Galleries settings - end

g_cg = Gallery()
        g_cg.button(gal_item + " sky_night.png")
        g_cg.image(gal_item)
        g_cg.unlock(gal_item)
    g_cg.transition = fade
    cg_page=0

init +1 python:
    #Here we create the thumbnails. We create a grayscale thumbnail image for BGs, but we use a special "locked" image for CGs to prevent spoilers.
        renpy.image (gal_item + " sky_night.png", im.Scale(ImageReference(gal_item), thumbnail_x, thumbnail_y))

screen cg_gallery:
    tag menu
    use navigation
    frame background None xpos 10:
        grid gal_rows gal_cols:
            ypos 10
            $ i = 0
            $ next_cg_page = cg_page + 1           
            if next_cg_page > int(len(gallery_cg_items)/gal_cells):
                $ next_cg_page = 0
                $ i += 1
                if i <= (cg_page+1)*gal_cells and i>cg_page*gal_cells:
                    add g_cg.make_button(gal_item + " butt", gal_item + " sky_night.png", im.Scale("sky_night.png", thumbnail_x, thumbnail_y), xalign=0.5, yalign=0.5, idle_border=None, background=None, bottom_margin=24)
            for j in range(i, (cg_page+1)*gal_cells): #we need this to fully fill the grid
                null
        frame:
            yalign 0.97
            vbox:
                if len(gallery_cg_items)>gal_cells:
                    textbutton _("Next Page") action [SetVariable('cg_page', next_cg_page), ShowMenu("cg_gallery")]

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Fenrir34 »

Here's a version that I think is more correct but I still get an error. Please help me if you can

init python:
    gal_rows = 3
    gal_cols = 3
    thumbnail_x = 267
    thumbnail_y = 150
    #the setting above (267x150) will work well with 16:9 screen ratio. Make sure to adjust it, if your are using 4:3 or something else.

g_cg = Gallery()
        g_cg.image(gal_item)
        g_cg.unlock(gal_item)
    g_cg.transition = fade
    cg_page=0

init +1 python:
    #Here we create the thumbnails. We create a grayscale thumbnail image for BGs, but we use a special "locked" image for CGs to prevent spoilers.
        renpy.image (gal_item + " butt dis", im.Grayscale(ImageReference(gal_item + " butt")))

screen cg_gallery:
    tag menu
    use navigation
        grid gal_rows gal_cols:
            ypos 10
            $ i = 0
                $ next_cg_page = 0
                $ i += 1
                    add g_cg.make_button(gal_item + " butt", gal_item + " butt", im.Scale("sky_night.png", thumbnail_x, thumbnail_y), xalign=0.5, yalign=0.5, idle_border=None, background=None, bottom_margin=24)
                null
        frame:
            yalign 0.97
            vbox:
                    textbutton _("Next Page") action [SetVariable('cg_page', next_cg_page), ShowMenu("cg_gallery")]

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by leon »

Delete this part:

It's refering to the BG gallery items list (gallery_bg_items) that doesn't exist.

Also, once you got it working, make sure to replace the image here with an image representing a locked item. You don't want to spoil people... :wink:

add g_cg.make_button(gal_item + " butt", gal_item + " butt", im.Scale("sky_night.png", thumbnail_x, thumbnail_y), xalign=0.5, yalign=0.5, idle_border=None, background=None, bottom_margin=24)
If you still get more errors, make sure to copy paste the error message here.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Fenrir34 »

leon wrote:Delete this part:

It's refering to the BG gallery items list (gallery_bg_items) that doesn't exist.

Also, once you got it working, make sure to replace the image here with an image representing a locked item. You don't want to spoil people... :wink:

If you still get more errors, make sure to copy paste the error message here.

Thank you so much but I'll still getting errors. Here's the code

While executing init code:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 221, in script
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 224, in python

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "/Users/ravenrosenfeld/Downloads/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 265, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "/Users/ravenrosenfeld/Downloads/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/main.py", line 269, in main
    game.context().run(node)
  File "/Users/ravenrosenfeld/Downloads/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/execution.py", line 288, in run
    node.execute()
  File "/Users/ravenrosenfeld/Downloads/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 718, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "/Users/ravenrosenfeld/Downloads/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/python.py", line 1297, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 224, in <module>
  File "/Users/ravenrosenfeld/Downloads/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/display/im.py", line 643, in __init__
    im = image(im)
  File "/Users/ravenrosenfeld/Downloads/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/display/im.py", line 1536, in image
    return image(arg.target, loose=loose, **properties)
  File "/Users/ravenrosenfeld/Downloads/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/display/im.py", line 1551, in image
    raise Exception("Expected an image, but got a general displayable.")

Darwin-10.4.0-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 6.15.7.374
A Ren'Py Game 0.0
And here's what I put in

init python:
    gal_rows = 3
    gal_cols = 3
    thumbnail_x = 267
    thumbnail_y = 150

g_cg = Gallery()
        g_cg.image(gal_item)
        g_cg.unlock(gal_item)
    g_cg.transition = fade
    cg_page=0

init +1 python:

screen cg_gallery:
    tag menu
    use navigation
        grid gal_rows gal_cols:
            ypos 10
            $ i = 0
                $ next_cg_page = 0
                $ i += 1
                null
        frame:
            yalign 0.97
            vbox:

Did I erase something I shouldn't have?

And thanks so much for the help :D

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by leon »

You need to list the image names used in Ren'Py here, not filenames. For example:

gallery_cg_items = ["sky night"]
You define these images somewhere else in the script:

init:
    image sky night = "sky_night.png"

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Fenrir34 »

The good news is it's not giving me the error anymore but the button isn't in the main screen menu

Thank you much for the help :D

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by leon »

You need to add the button to "screen main_menu" in screens.rpy to call the gallery screen. Something like this:

textbutton _("Start Game") action Start()
        textbutton _("CG Gallery") action ShowMenu("cg_gallery")
        textbutton _("Load Game") action ShowMenu("load")