3D Stereoscopic Sample (Side-By-Side for your fancy HDTV)

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
b.hellmark

3D Stereoscopic Sample (Side-By-Side for your fancy HDTV)

#1 Post by b.hellmark »

This is a quick sample of an implementation of stereoscopic 3D within Ren'Py.

To experience this in true 3D you will need to hook up your laptop or computer to a 3D capable TV-set that can manually switch to "Half Side-By-Side"-mode (left images first, or parallel viewing). Or else, you will just see everything double 8)

The script includes the necessary commands (hopefully commented understandable) to create the 3D effect with 2D images by positioning images on different parallaxes (for further information see here: http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/Help/i ... Vision.htm).

With the help of this script/sample you can add a 2D/3D-Diorama-effect to your existing 2D-artwork (sprites, background), similar to those paperclip creations, e.g. seen here: http://papermau.blogspot.co.at/2013/03/ ... soyou.html.

You don't have to create any special artwork for this to be used, as the script will semi-automatically create seperate views for the left and right eye from existing "mono"-artwork.

Although if you like, you can also use precreated stereo images as background artwork or for your sprites. You may even include stereoscopic videos.

Update: Version 0.2 (02-12-2014):
  • Text display has been fixed. You can now enter dialogue as usual, it will appear simultaneously on the left and right.
  • I've defined two functions which allow you to position different elements (background, sprites) on different levels of depth:

Code: Select all

def bg3d(image,parallax):
            return im.Composite((1280, 720),(0, 0), im.Scale(im.Crop(im.Scale(image,1280+parallax,720), (parallax, 0, 1280-parallax,720)), 640,720),(640,0), im.Scale(im.Crop(image, (0, 0, 1280-parallax,720)), 640, 720))
        def sprite3d(image,width,height,parallax,crop):
            return im.Composite((0.5*width*height/(height-crop)+640+parallax, height),(0, 0), 
                im.Scale(im.Crop(im.Scale(image,width, height),(0,crop/4, width, height-3*crop/4)), 0.5*width*height/(height-crop),height),(640+parallax,0), 
                im.Scale(im.Crop(im.Scale(image,width, height),(0,crop/4, width, height-3*crop/4)), 0.5*width*height/(height-cop),height))

bg3d: Takes an (background) image and a positive value (parallax) as parameters. The greater the value of "parallax" is, the farther away from the viewer (farther behind the screen) your image will appear.

sprite3d: Takes an image, its width and height and two additional parameters: "parallax" is again used to position an image closer to the viewer (popping out of the screen (negative value)) or farther away form the viewer (appearing behind the screen (positive value)).
    Additionally a positive value can be assigned to the "crop"-parameter which will cut off some pixels from the top and bottom of the sprite (1/4 top, 3/4 bottom) while simultaneously zooming in on the sprite (its height is preserved, its width is enlarged proportionally).

Some screenshots:

Actual gameplay:

Anaglyph converted (red/cyan, not actual screenshots, just for easier 3D viewing):

A quick video:

Enjoy and feel free to comment/criticize/use in your own creations.
Attachments
Renpy 3D Stereoscopic Demo_(v02).zip
Version 0.2 (fixed)
(11.02 MiB) Downloaded 174 times

CrimsonMoon
Regular
Completed: Unplanned AMOUR
Projects: Scented Dream

Re: 3D Stereoscopic Sample (Side-By-Side for your fancy HDTV

#2 Post by CrimsonMoon »

I'm not using 3D but this is neat, thank you for sharing! :D

Abraham
Organization: Almawalker

#3 Post by Abraham »

Future is near!!!

ChronoWorkS

#4 Post by ChronoWorkS »

The first effect needs some kind of glasses? I mean, like the red-cian to see the 3D better

Shagwrath
Regular
Projects: Shison L, Cosmic Raven
Organization: Progeny Gaming, LLC.
IRC Nick: Shagwrath
Deviantart: shawnbaybo

#5 Post by Shagwrath »

b.hellmark wrote: Anaglyph converted (red/cyan, not actual screenshots, just for easier 3D viewing):
Is there anyway this could be adapted to output red/cyan anaglyph instead of the side by side stereoscopic?

I'm working on a KN with an 80's theme and I might use this for a fun little feature if it's possible.
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1
[KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Short][18+]

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: 3D Stereoscopic Sample (Side-By-Side for your fancy HDTV)

#6 Post by Andredron »

Due to my scarcity of mind, I don’t even know where this can be applied, but you have done a great job.

I saved your video back in 2016

https://m.vk.com/video189145553_4562390 ... 45553_1950

👍👍👍