Encyclopaedia / Bestiary Framework

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Human Bolt Diary
Regular

Encyclopaedia / Bestiary Framework

#1 Post by Human Bolt Diary »

Online documentation: https://renpy-encyclopaedia.readthedocs.io/

Demo game: https://jsfehler.itch.io/renpy-encyclopaedia

Source code: https://github.com/jsfehler/renpy-encyclopaedia

Latest release: https://github.com/jsfehler/renpy-encyc ... a/releases

Features:
- Sort entries by Number, Alphabetically, Reverse Alphabetically, by Subject, or by Unread status.
- Filter entries by Subject.
- Sub-page system for nesting entries. Allows an entry to be unlocked progressively.
- Locking/unlocking allows you to decide when entries should be accessible.
- Locked entries can be displayed with customizable placeholders or outright hidden.
- Entry Unlocks can be tied to individual save games or universal (using Ren'py persistent data).
- Default visual template is provided, but can be completely customized or replaced using Ren'py Screen Language.
Last edited by Human Bolt Diary on Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Coyotl
Regular

Re: Encyclopaedia / Bestiary Framework (Functional Prototype

#2 Post by Coyotl »

Thanks for working on this! It's something I was putting off until much later in development. I'm sure this will help tremendously, and I'll be following your work closely.

Human Bolt Diary
Regular

Re: Encyclopaedia / Bestiary Framework

#3 Post by Human Bolt Diary »

Coyotl wrote:Thanks for working on this! It's something I was putting off until much later in development. I'm sure this will help tremendously, and I'll be following your work closely.
Thanks, I hope you find it useful.

The latest version is "feature complete" since I can't think of much more to add, but if there's any options not included that you're interested in I can look into adding it.

Human Bolt Diary
Regular

#4 Post by Human Bolt Diary »

I've updated the files to a new version. The code's been rewritten a bit but should retain full compatibility with the older versions. It's mostly just cleaning up based on my increased Python knowledge. The biggest change is that the flags for the "New!" status can be generated dynamically.

The older version used a pretty gross way to make those flags:

Code: Select all

try:
  persistent.enc00_new = persistent.new_dict["new_00"]
  persistent.enc01_new = persistent.new_dict["new_01"]
  persistent.enc02_new = persistent.new_dict["new_02"]
  persistent.enc03_new = persistent.new_dict["new_03"]
  persistent.enc04_new = persistent.new_dict["new_04"]
  persistent.enc05_new = persistent.new_dict["new_05"]
  persistent.enc06_new = persistent.new_dict["new_06"]
  persistent.enc07_new = persistent.new_dict["new_07"]
 except TypeError:
  pass

#The keys must all have a prefix+number. "new_0" and "number" in this case.
 persistent.new_dict = {
 "new_00" : persistent.enc00_new,
 "new_01" : persistent.enc01_new,
 "new_02" : persistent.enc02_new,
 "new_03" : persistent.enc03_new,
 "new_04" : persistent.enc04_new,
 "new_05" : persistent.enc05_new,
 "new_06" : persistent.enc06_new,
 "new_07" : persistent.enc07_new
 }
Exploiting persistent data is still the way it works, but having to declare each flag is going to be painful if an Encyclopaedia has dozens or hundreds of entries. Now, that's all been stuck under the hood. All you need to do is state how many entries there will be:

encyclopaedia.setPersistentStatus(entries_total=7, master_key="new", name="new")

yon
Regular
Projects: YDSP
Soundcloud: tetra-yon
itch: v-ual

#5 Post by yon »

I just checked out the new .rpy file, and wow. You really reworked this whole thing. I'll probably need a little while to re-familiarize myself with it, but I've got a good feeling about this update.

yon
Regular
Projects: YDSP
Soundcloud: tetra-yon
itch: v-ual

#6 Post by yon »

Could you post a zip file with the whole thing, actually? I remember there being one before, for 1.3 and 1.4, but I don't seen anything like that now. Am I missing something?
I tried to make a copy of one of the previous projects and overwrite the old files with the new attachments, but it doesn't seem to work if I try that.

Meinos Kaen
Regular
Completed: JPDE - Sonata of Fire
Projects: JPDE, Ars Oratoria, ONHA

#7 Post by Meinos Kaen »

Oh my god, thank you thank you thank you for this. Not only does it work wonderfully and can add more dept to games rich of lore, but it also solved another unrelated problem for me.

Luxliev
Veteran
Soundcloud: Luxliev

#8 Post by Luxliev »

That's great piece of code thanks for it. Please keep it updated I also have one question can you update already read entries? fe.

entry one = You met this guy at park.

later in game you get update

entry one (updated) = This guy name is John I met him at park first.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#9 Post by Laiska »

Luxliev wrote:That's great piece of code thanks for it. Please keep it updated I also have one question can you update already read entries? fe.

I'm curious about this as well - anyone?

Also the demo script doesn't run properly because it doesn't include the images =P

Human Bolt Diary
Regular

#10 Post by Human Bolt Diary »

Off the top of my head, if you create the entry data in an init block, it'll get set each time the game starts. If you create the entry data outside, it should save if you update it. So you could do something like:

a_entry = "Blah blah blah"

a "Hamburgers? Love 'em."

python:
    a_entry = "Blah blah blah. Loves hamburgers."

However, creating the entry data outside an init block may cause bugs if you want to be able to open the encyclopaedia from the main menu. Now that I think about it, I haven't tested what happens if you try to open an Encyclopaedia that has zero entries. If it crashes, I could probably fix it over a weekend.
Laiska wrote:
Luxliev wrote:That's great piece of code thanks for it. Please keep it updated I also have one question can you update already read entries? fe.

I'm curious about this as well - anyone?

Also the demo script doesn't run properly because it doesn't include the images =P

LabaroDD
Regular

#11 Post by LabaroDD »

Hello there!
I have a question about using this awesome encyclopaedia - how can I customize it? I'm pretty newbie in coding and I just can't get how I should to change the text style, I mean, size, color, etc. I tried to use init python to create a style of encyclopaedia_list, but there were no changes. Sorry, I'm so stupid ><
I really, really need help.

Otoke_Neko
Regular
Completed: Touching Grass with Ain, STLP, Steamed Fish
Tumblr: OTOJANG!, Otoke Neko
Deviantart: OtomeNekos
itch: otojang
Discord: otokeneko

#12 Post by Otoke_Neko »

LabaroDD wrote:Hello there!
I have a question about using this awesome encyclopaedia - how can I customize it? I'm pretty newbie in coding and I just can't get how I should to change the text style, I mean, size, color, etc. I tried to use init python to create a style of encyclopaedia_list, but there were no changes. Sorry, I'm so stupid ><
I really, really need help.
Try doing this: "{color=hexcode} text {/color}
Of course, I didn't use the encyclopedia in this topic, but it'll probably still work.
I love doing sprites! :lol: And VN scenes!

My Carrd: https://otokeneko.carrd.co/

tictactofu

#13 Post by tictactofu »

This is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!

Is there a way to make dialogue function as a button to pull up the encyclopaedia? Like, to make it so that if a character says "Hi, my name is John," you can press John to open his entry. Been fussing with it for a while, but I know nothing and have gotten nowhere :?

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#14 Post by noeinan »

tictactofu wrote:This is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!

Is there a way to make dialogue function as a button to pull up the encyclopaedia? Like, to make it so that if a character says "Hi, my name is John," you can press John to open his entry. Been fussing with it for a while, but I know nothing and have gotten nowhere :?
I do not know much about this, but I would guess maybe making a post in the main questions section of the forum, and ask like... "how to turn a word in dialogue into a button"

On a separate note, I really appreciate this code and have been keeping a copy in my resources file in case I ever needed it. Recently, I started making a game where I have need of an encyclopedia, but I wanted to make it so that sub-entries could have a slightly different picture.

I am having a really hard time finding in the code why the image doesn't change when you click to the next sub-entry page. I added an image to where I've defined the sub-entry:

#When creating sub-entries, the main entry is considered page 1, always start at 2
    en1_2 = EncEntry(2,"Crown Flower",lorem2,"Herb Identification", locked=False, image=en1_2_image)
But when you click for the next page, the image stays the same. I haven't been able to figure out how to make it change. I can find where the image appears on the screen:

if encyclopaedia.getEntryData()[1].hasImage: #If the entry or sub-entry has an image, add it to the screen  
But the image changes for regular entries and not sub-entries. I tried copying parts of the ChangeEntryAction into the ChangePageAction, but even if I changed the variable names to match sub-entry, all that did is make the Next Page button change the entry instead...

class ChangeEntryAction(EncyclopaediaEntryAction):
        """  
        Scroll through the current entry being viewed. 
        Used by Encyclopaedia's PreviousEntry and NextEntry functions
        """    
        def __init__(self, encyclopaedia, direction, block,*args,**kwargs):  
            self.enc = encyclopaedia
            self.block = block #If the button is active or not
            self.dir = direction  #Determines if it's going to the previous or next entry 

def __call__(self):
            if self.block == False:
                self.enc.setEntryData(self.enc.current_position+self.dir)

if self.enc.showLockedEntry == False:
                    self.enc.unlocked_entries[self.enc.current_position+self.dir][1].status = True 
                    given_text = self.enc.unlocked_entries[self.enc.current_position + self.dir][1].getText()

else: 
                    self.enc.all_entries[self.enc.current_position+self.dir][1].status = True   
                    given_text = self.enc.all_entries[self.enc.current_position + self.dir][1].getText()

self.enc.entry_text = self.string_to_list(given_text)

self.enc.current_position += self.dir

self.enc.sub_current_position = 1 #When changing an entry, the sub-entry page number is set back to 1
                renpy.restart_interaction()

def get_sensitive(self):
            if self.block:
                return False
            return True 

class ChangePageAction(ChangeEntryAction):
        """Change the current sub-entry being viewed."""        
        def __init__(self, encyclopaedia, direction, direction2, block,*args,**kwargs):
            super(ChangePageAction,self).__init__(encyclopaedia, direction, block,*args,**kwargs)

self.dir1 = direction
            self.dir2 = direction2

def __call__(self):
            if self.block == False: 
                given_text = self.enc.getUnlockedEntry(self.enc.current_position).getSubEntry(self.enc.sub_current_position + self.dir1)

self.enc.entry_text = self.string_to_list(given_text)

self.enc.sub_current_position += self.dir2

renpy.restart_interaction()
As far as I can tell, both entries and sub-entries fall under the class EncEntry, so there shouldn't be any difference between how they are displayed/which ones show a picture and which don't. Or at least I can't find the code that controls this. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

LabaroDD
Regular

#15 Post by LabaroDD »

Here is the way to disable sorting?

UPD
Ah, I found it myself! ^^"
Last edited by LabaroDD on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.