Encyclopaedia / Bestiary Framework

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
XxrenxX
Veteran
Projects: Chasing
Deviantart: bara-ettie

Re: Encyclopaedia / Bestiary Framework

#76 Post by XxrenxX »

Thanks for the update. I am still however having the problem of "Enc has no value"

To illiterate I don't need most of the text as I just want a simple list with buttons to read extra text for shit in the game. Like the notes section of a cellphone. If I could find anything else I'd use it but it's been months and no one has been able to give a proper answer to this issue.

I don't want to sort the list in any way, just one list in the way I set it up or if anything newest unlock at the top. And I trying to use global not local.
Attachments
encyclopaedia.rpy
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Last edited by XxrenxX on Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ayael
Regular
Projects: Imperial Grace (on going), Autumn Spirit, Ballads at Midnight

#77 Post by Ayael »

XxrenxX wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:37 pm Thanks for the update. I am still however having the problem of "Enc has no value"

To illiterate I don't need most of the text as I just want a simple list with buttons to read extra text for shit in the game. Like the notes section of a cellphone. If I could find anything else I'd use it but it's been months and no one has been able to give a proper answer to this issue.
You just have to put the name of the encyclopedia you create :

Code: Select all

textbutton _("Encyclopédie") action ShowMenu("encyclopaedia_list", your_new_encyclopaedia )
For example I create an encyclopedia named "lore", with en entry named "animals", so in my game menu I have this button :

So I have :

textbutton _("Encyclopédie") action ShowMenu("encyclopaedia_list", lore )
without quotemark it's important :p

If you have further question, just look on the previous page, I made a post with some tips :p
Last edited by Ayael on Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image

XxrenxX
Veteran
Projects: Chasing
Deviantart: bara-ettie

#78 Post by XxrenxX »

Ayael wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:41 pm
XxrenxX wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:37 pm Thanks for the update. I am still however having the problem of "Enc has no value"

textbutton _("Encyclopédie") action ShowMenu("encyclopaedia_list", your_new_encyclopaedia )
For example I create an encyclopedia named "lore", with en entry named "animals", so in my game menu I have this button :

So I have :

If you have further question, just look on the previous page, I made a post with some tips :p
I've tried this numerous ways since seeing your comment and it has not fixed anything. The problem persists.

Ayael
Regular

#79 Post by Ayael »

XxrenxX wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:44 pm
Ayael wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:41 pm

So I have :

I've tried this numerous ways since seeing your comment and it has not fixed anything. The problem persists.
Hmm, that weird, it solved this error for me, and for someone else who had the same issue.

Maybe, if you want something simpler, take a look at this tutorial, done by Tom. It's simpler so it might fit your need better.
Btw, it's an old post from his patreon so available for everyone now, but consider support him on it if you liked it :p
Image Image

Human Bolt Diary
Regular

#80 Post by Human Bolt Diary »

Ayael wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:52 am
Human Bolt Diary wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:45 pm I've released version 2.3. The Encyclopaedia now takes the optional argument `tint_locked_image`. If set to False, EncEntries without a specified locked_image will not use a tinted version of the image, instead just using the image.

This is mainly for times when a Displayable is used for the image and no locked_image is provided. Image Manipulators can't handle Displayables, so the tinting attempt would cause a crash. When/If Transforms support color manipulation, I'll switch over to that completely.
Wow, I didn't expect this to be updated anymore ! First of all, Human Bolt Diary, let me thank you a lot for your huge work on this framework, it's amazing ! Truly it goes beyond my dreams !

Second, I was wandering why I don't have the "new!" displaying when I have a new sub_entry unlocking ! I did some modification on the screens so I probably broke something, but I can't find which part of the screen code is handling this >.<

Also, on your documentation, you don't explain how we can declare image we want to use inside the entry, even so there is on the code two screen, one without, and one for the entry with images so I guess it's possible ?
1. Unlocking sub-entries won't refresh the parent's viewed status. I don't think it'll be too difficult to add this as an option. Until then, you can manually reset the parent's viewed status like so:

$ my_sub_entry.locked = False
$ my_parent_entry.viewed = False
It's in the module index, bit I could probably add a specific section: https://renpy-encyclopaedia.readthedocs ... entry.html

EncEntry(name='Foo', text='Bar', image='img.png')

Human Bolt Diary
Regular

#81 Post by Human Bolt Diary »

I don't want to sort the list in any way, just one list in the way I set it up or if anything newest unlock at the top. And I trying to use global not local.
I took a look at the file you provided. Your error is "entry has no value" not "enc has no value". The issue is on this line:

screen encyclopaedia_list(enc, entry): #List of encyclopaedia
it should be:

screen encyclopaedia_list(enc): #List of encyclopaedia

Ayael
Regular

#82 Post by Ayael »

Human Bolt Diary wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:31 am
Ayael wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:52 am
Human Bolt Diary wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:45 pm I've released version 2.3. The Encyclopaedia now takes the optional argument `tint_locked_image`. If set to False, EncEntries without a specified locked_image will not use a tinted version of the image, instead just using the image.

This is mainly for times when a Displayable is used for the image and no locked_image is provided. Image Manipulators can't handle Displayables, so the tinting attempt would cause a crash. When/If Transforms support color manipulation, I'll switch over to that completely.
Wow, I didn't expect this to be updated anymore ! First of all, Human Bolt Diary, let me thank you a lot for your huge work on this framework, it's amazing ! Truly it goes beyond my dreams !

Second, I was wandering why I don't have the "new!" displaying when I have a new sub_entry unlocking ! I did some modification on the screens so I probably broke something, but I can't find which part of the screen code is handling this >.<

Also, on your documentation, you don't explain how we can declare image we want to use inside the entry, even so there is on the code two screen, one without, and one for the entry with images so I guess it's possible ?
1. Unlocking sub-entries won't refresh the parent's viewed status. I don't think it'll be too difficult to add this as an option. Until then, you can manually reset the parent's viewed status like so:

$ my_sub_entry.locked = False
$ my_parent_entry.viewed = False
It's in the module index, bit I could probably add a specific section: https://renpy-encyclopaedia.readthedocs ... entry.html

EncEntry(name='Foo', text='Bar', image='img.png')
I see, I was so focused on the idea I broked something, I missed the idea. So I just have to add the line to before the line I unlock the entry in my script and it will be done ! Thank you a lot for this amazing feature, and the help !
Image Image

Avalonica

#83 Post by Avalonica »

Hello and thanks for this wonderful Encyclopaedia

I might have missed it, but is there any way from an: action ShowMenu("encyclopaedia_list", your_new_encyclopaedia ) possible to get a direct link instead to one of your entries in the Encyclopaedia, lets say: about_dune

It works perfect in the {a=set_entry:your_new_encyclopaedia->about_dune} hyperlink system, but nothing works from the above example.

Another thing that is very relevant is (at least from what I get when using the hyperlink) is that I do get the "about_dune" entry, but when I press ESC it opens the OPTIONS menu, so the only way to quit down the Encyclopaedia is: Close Entry > Return. It's too many steps. :oops:

When accessing the Encyclopaedia with ShowMenu("encyclopaedia_list", your_new_encyclopaedia ) an ESC is all that is needed to close it all down. Is there any way when "directly" calling a entry in the Encyclopaedia that we somehow when have "read" that entry we just can press ESC and return to the game.

TorroesPrime

#84 Post by TorroesPrime »

Still pretty new to programming in general, and Ren.py in particular. So hopefully this is a stupidly simple question. I'm having the same problem that XxrenxX described.

I created an encyclopedia:
in script.rpy

python:
        exoPedia = Encyclopaedia()
And then I created an entry again in script.rpy:

about_jtmarsh = EncEntry(
        name = "J.T. Marsh",
        text =[
            "Marsh never wanted to be a soldier or leader, he simply craved the feeling of freedom that flying granted him. To satisfy that thrill seeking desire,",
            "he joined the Exo-fleet and quickly became an E-frame pilot and later an officer. J.T. Marsh is a natural-born rebel and hero. From the moment he ",
            "learned that the Neosapiens had conquered Earth and the other Mankind \"Homeworlds\" of Mars and Venus, he knew he had to do something to help his ",
            "fellow humans. In Exosquad he is not only leading the fight to free mankind, he is also giving hope to all those suffering under the brutal rule ",
            "Neosapiens rule. "],
        viewed_persistent = True)

then I added a button to access the encyclopedia in screens.rpy:

imagebutton:
            idle "gui/button/button-Encyclopedia.png"
            hover "gui/button/button-Encyclopedia_hover.png"
            action ShowMenu("encyclopaedia_list","exoPedia")
The game launches properly, but when I click on "Encyclopedia" I get the following error:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/encyclopaedia_screens.rpy", line 90, in execute
    screen encyclopaedia_list(enc):
  File "game/encyclopaedia_screens.rpy", line 94, in execute
    window:
  File "game/encyclopaedia_screens.rpy", line 97, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/encyclopaedia_screens.rpy", line 106, in execute
    frame:
  File "game/encyclopaedia_screens.rpy", line 110, in execute
    hbox:
  File "game/encyclopaedia_screens.rpy", line 113, in execute
    text "{} Complete".format(enc.labels.percentage_unlocked)
AttributeError: 'unicode' object has no attribute 'labels'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
    python hide:
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
    python hide:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
    ui.interact()
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback, seen)
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\screen.py", line 430, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in <lambda>
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\screen.py", line 440, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\screen.py", line 625, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
    window:
    vbox:
    frame:
    hbox:
  File "<screen language>", line 113, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
ExoSquad: Marsala's Betrayal 0.01
Sun Nov 24 19:02:17 2019

I saw it mentioned that the problem was in the screen encyclopaedia_list. I mean here is the code for the screen. It's right from the download and unmodified.

tag menu
    modal True

window:
        style_prefix "encyclopaedia"

vbox:
            spacing 10

frame:
                xfill True

text "Welcome to the Demo Encyclopaedia"

frame:
                xfill True

hbox:
                    xfill True
                    # Percentage unlocked display

frame:
                xfill True

vbox:
                    text "Filters"
                    hbox:
                        xfill True
                        # Buttons to filter the entries that are displayed
                        textbutton "All" action enc.ClearFilter() style "encyclopaedia_button"
                        for subject in enc.subjects:
                            textbutton subject action enc.FilterBySubject(subject) style "encyclopaedia_button"

hbox:
                frame:
                    yfill True
                    xmaximum 600
                    bottom_margin 10

viewport:
                        scrollbars "vertical"
                        mousewheel True
                        draggable True
                        vbox:
                            # Flavour text to display the current sorting mode.
                            text enc.labels.sorting_mode xalign 0.5

use vertical_list(enc) id "vertical list"

frame:
                    xfill True
                    bottom_margin 10
                    yalign 0.95

vbox:
                        # Buttons to sort entries.
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_number_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_NUMBER) xfill True
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_alphabetical_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_ALPHABETICAL) xfill True
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_reverse_alphabetical_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_REVERSE_ALPHABETICAL) xfill True
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_subject_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_SUBJECT) xfill True
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_unread_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_UNREAD) xfill True

# Buttons to show different styles of hiding locked data.
                        textbutton "Show/Hide Locked Buttons" action enc.ToggleShowLockedButtons() xfill True
                        textbutton "Show/Hide Locked Entry" action enc.ToggleShowLockedEntry() xfill True

textbutton "Return"  action [Hide("encyclopaedia_list"), Return()] xfill True

Human Bolt Diary
Regular

#85 Post by Human Bolt Diary »

Your error is:

This is telling you that the value you provided to `enc` is text, when it should be an Encyclopaedia.

imagebutton:
You're sending the string "exoPedia" over, not the Encyclopaedia instance you created.
TorroesPrime wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:06 pm Still pretty new to programming in general, and Ren.py in particular. So hopefully this is a stupidly simple question. I'm having the same problem that XxrenxX described.

I created an encyclopedia:
in script.rpy

python:
And then I created an entry again in script.rpy:

name = "J.T. Marsh",
        text =[
            "Marsh never wanted to be a soldier or leader, he simply craved the feeling of freedom that flying granted him. To satisfy that thrill seeking desire,",
            "he joined the Exo-fleet and quickly became an E-frame pilot and later an officer. J.T. Marsh is a natural-born rebel and hero. From the moment he ",
            "learned that the Neosapiens had conquered Earth and the other Mankind \"Homeworlds\" of Mars and Venus, he knew he had to do something to help his ",
            "fellow humans. In Exosquad he is not only leading the fight to free mankind, he is also giving hope to all those suffering under the brutal rule ",
            "Neosapiens rule. "],

then I added a button to access the encyclopedia in screens.rpy:

imagebutton:
The game launches properly, but when I click on "Encyclopedia" I get the following error:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    window:
    vbox:
    frame:
    hbox:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
    python hide:
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
    python hide:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
    ui.interact()
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in interact_core
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\screen.py", line 430, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in <lambda>
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\screen.py", line 440, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "E:\User Library\Michael\OneDrive\programs\Ren.Py\renpy\display\screen.py", line 625, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
    window:
    vbox:
    frame:
    hbox:
  File "<screen language>", line 113, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
ExoSquad: Marsala's Betrayal 0.01
Sun Nov 24 19:02:17 2019

I saw it mentioned that the problem was in the screen encyclopaedia_list. I mean here is the code for the screen. It's right from the download and unmodified.

tag menu
    modal True

window:

vbox:
            spacing 10

frame:
                xfill True

text "Welcome to the Demo Encyclopaedia"

frame:
                xfill True

hbox:
                    xfill True

frame:
                xfill True

vbox:
                    text "Filters"
                    hbox:
                        xfill True
                        # Buttons to filter the entries that are displayed
                        textbutton "All" action enc.ClearFilter() style "encyclopaedia_button"
                        for subject in enc.subjects:
                            textbutton subject action enc.FilterBySubject(subject) style "encyclopaedia_button"

hbox:
                frame:
                    yfill True
                    xmaximum 600
                    bottom_margin 10

viewport:
                        scrollbars "vertical"
                        mousewheel True
                        draggable True
                        vbox:
                            # Flavour text to display the current sorting mode.
                            text enc.labels.sorting_mode xalign 0.5

use vertical_list(enc) id "vertical list"

frame:
                    xfill True
                    bottom_margin 10
                    yalign 0.95

vbox:
                        # Buttons to sort entries.
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_number_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_NUMBER) xfill True
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_alphabetical_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_ALPHABETICAL) xfill True
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_reverse_alphabetical_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_REVERSE_ALPHABETICAL) xfill True
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_subject_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_SUBJECT) xfill True
                        textbutton "Sort by {}".format(enc.labels.sort_unread_label) action enc.Sort(sorting_mode=enc.SORT_UNREAD) xfill True

# Buttons to show different styles of hiding locked data.
                        textbutton "Show/Hide Locked Buttons" action enc.ToggleShowLockedButtons() xfill True
                        textbutton "Show/Hide Locked Entry" action enc.ToggleShowLockedEntry() xfill True

textbutton "Return"  action [Hide("encyclopaedia_list"), Return()] xfill True

TorroesPrime

#86 Post by TorroesPrime »

Okay, I think I know what you're saying. So I did the following:

This is from screens.rpy

imagebutton:
            action ShowMenu("encyclopaedia_list",exoPedia)
while this is from encyclopaedia_screens.ryp

frame:
                xfill True

hbox:
                    xfill True
and now I'm getting an error saying exoPedia is not defined.

I have exoPedia defined in script.rpy. would it be better to define it in a different file?

python:
        name = "J.T. Marsh",
        text =[
            "Neosapiens rule. "],

Human Bolt Diary wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:29 am Your error is:

This is telling you that the value you provided to `enc` is text, when it should be an Encyclopaedia.

imagebutton:
You're sending the string "exoPedia" over, not the Encyclopaedia instance you created.

TorroesPrime

#87 Post by TorroesPrime »

So been hammering away and reading and asking questions trying to learn both Ren.py and the encyclopaedia system. And I've made some progress.

I now have the following in script.py where I am creating the encyclopaedia and an entry.

init -10 python:
        name = "J.T. Marsh",
        text =[
            "Neosapiens rule. "],
        viewed_persistent = True,
        )
Calling it from screens.rpy with:

imagebutton:
            action ShowMenu("encyclopaedia_list",exoPedia)

and made sure the python call initializes before the script in enc.rpy

init -50 python:
    from math import floor
    import operator
    from operator import attrgetter
and now I'm getting this error:

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 9, in script
    init -10 python:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 19, in <module>
    viewed_persistent = True,
  File "game/enc.rpy", line 343, in __init__
    self.tint_locked_image = parent.tint_locked_image
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'tint_locked_image'

Human Bolt Diary
Regular

#88 Post by Human Bolt Diary »

Your EncEntry doesn't have a parent Encyclopaedia set.

EncEntry allows a null value for parent, but will then crash. I'll make parent a required argument in the future, since I can't think of a reason you'd want an EncEntry not associated to an Encyclopaedia.

TorroesPrime

#89 Post by TorroesPrime »

Human Bolt Diary wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 pm Your EncEntry doesn't have a parent Encyclopaedia set.

EncEntry allows a null value for parent, but will then crash. I'll make parent a required argument in the future, since I can't think of a reason you'd want an EncEntry not associated to an Encyclopaedia.
*face palm* Thanks.

Ayael
Regular

#90 Post by Ayael »

Hi, it's me again ! I was wandering, how can we retrieve the entry ID name.

For example :

jupiter = EncEntry(
        parent=perso,
        name="Jupiter, god of thunder",
        text=[_(""" Text here""")],
        viewed_persistent=True,
    )
I know, if I want to retrives "Juper, god of thunder", I can use

entry.name
, but I can't find the code I should use to retrieve "jupiter".

(If you wander why, it's because I am using this kind of code to have images instead of text in the list :

idle "images/codex/entry/entry_" + entry.name + "_idle.png"
But having the entry displaying name is really annoying, I would rather have the id name. I could use the ID number, but it's harder to remember).
Image Image