Infinite, Stackable Inventory/Crafting/Vendor - UPDATED v1.5

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

Re: Infinite, Stackable Inventory, Crafting, and Vendor Scre

#16 Post by saguaro »

Thanks for checking it out. Once you hide the crafting screen you can show it again by clicking a craftable item (while in inventory mode) but if you see anything else amiss, let me know and I will correct it. I should have a new version out in a day or two.

storymasterq

#17 Post by storymasterq »

Hi,

I've managed to code myself out of one of the things I asked, how to transfer money instead of inventory items. I code it thusly:

Code: Select all

def real_transfer(seller, buyer, money):
        if seller.money > money:
            seller.money -= money
            buyer.money += money
        renpy.restart_interaction()

transfer = renpy.curry(real_transfer)
screen inventory_view(inventory, second_inventory=False, trade_mode=False):    
    vbox:       
        label inventory.name 
        if second_inventory and trade_mode:
            textbutton ("Money: " + str(inventory.money)) action transfer(inventory, second_inventory, 10)
        else:
            text ("Money: " + str(inventory.money))
Currently, it's hardcoded to 10 units per click, but I bet there's a way to make it into a variable input. Perhaps you could add it in the next version?

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#18 Post by noeinan »

saguaro wrote:Thanks for checking it out. Once you hide the crafting screen you can show it again by clicking a craftable item (while in inventory mode) but if you see anything else amiss, let me know and I will correct it. I should have a new version out in a day or two.
Ah, that makes sense! I had just added a button under the "View" section called "Craft" that toggled the craft screen on and off-- but then the craft button was still there when you see a vendor, which is a bit of a problem. In the game I'm making, I'd probably not need to worry about it in any case, though, since the would only be able to craft at a specific location (a forge).

Glad to hear another version will be coming out! :)

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by saguaro »

storymasterq, thanks for your requests, it gave me an opportunity to refactor this quite a bit, even though it's relatively new code. You and I had similar thoughts on how to implement banking, though I use separate trade/bank modes in the event the dev simply wants to trade items and not monies. I included different types of controls (slider and several buttons) as examples. Inventories now have a barter variable which will modify prices and round down with int.

This code is "tested" *ahem* but I welcome any corrections. I'm almost positive no one uses the textbutton feature, because I found mistake in the textbutton actions that surely would have been noticed with usage, but I kept them in there anyway.

lovebby
Regular
Deviantart: lovebby

#20 Post by lovebby »

I'm just curious here, how would you add in a consumable action? It would get rid of the item and heal the player, but also be able to use in crafting. Like an apple could heal 10HP and still be baked into an apple pie?

And also, is it possible to have an crafting item at a set place or destination? Like you can craft just about anywhere, but can only craft in certain areas that have a stove? I give the player 10 fire when they arrive and take it away as they leave, but it's just awkward to see that you have a number of fires.

And for whatever reason, I'm having the hardest time having the player receive money other than selling, I know I'm missing the most simple thing...

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by saguaro »

lovebby wrote:I'm just curious here, how would you add in a consumable action? It would get rid of the item and heal the player, but also be able to use in crafting. Like an apple could heal 10HP and still be baked into an apple pie?
I think the best way is to change up how the crafting screen is toggled and divorce crafting from item.act completely, and then for your apple just reference a function that adds hp and drops the item.

This would resolve your second issue as well, because I can just set up a variable like crafting_available and make opening the crafting screen dependent on that.
And also, is it possible to have an crafting item at a set place or destination? Like you can craft just about anywhere, but can only craft in certain areas that have a stove? I give the player 10 fire when they arrive and take it away as they leave, but it's just awkward to see that you have a number of fires.
With the above change, yeah. Do you mean--you can craft anywhere, but only cook in areas that have a stove? If there are different types of crafting, we'd probably need to update the Item class to distinguish between types, like food versus armor or whatever, and set up some variables so you can only craft food items when a stove is present (stovetop_available = True, I guess)
And for whatever reason, I'm having the hardest time having the player receive money other than selling, I know I'm missing the most simple thing...
You can add money to an inventory like so

$ jane_inv.money += 500

I think the crafting changes should be implemented... and honestly, I figured someone would be interested in item 'types' eventually so I knew that would need to be added down the road. I'll try to make an update after I think about how best to set it up.

storymasterq

#22 Post by storymasterq »

Also, what about crafting is allowed only if you have a certain item? Or in fact, recipes that can only be completed if you are holding the item required, but said required item is not expended? So, maybe, if you have a nut and a bolt, you'll need a screwdriver to do things with them, but the screwdriver itself is still there after the draft.

Or how about, crafting items that results in more than one item? Say, combining a flask of A and a flask of B results in a flask of C and an empty flask? This is probably way too complicated, though...
Proofreading for Free - here - Current project(s): None

Currently working on: My first VN, a futuristic slice-of-life with a hint of romance.

lovebby
Regular
Deviantart: lovebby

#23 Post by lovebby »

I think the best way is to change up how the crafting screen is toggled and divorce crafting from item.act completely, and then for your apple just reference a function that adds hp and drops the item.

This would resolve your second issue as well, because I can just set up a variable like crafting_available and make opening the crafting screen dependent on that.
Ah okay, I'll have to fiddle with that. I did feel it was a bit odd the way the crafting screen was called, I was sort of expecting a button for that.
With the above change, yeah. Do you mean--you can craft anywhere, but only cook in areas that have a stove? If there are different types of crafting, we'd probably need to update the Item class to distinguish between types, like food versus armor or whatever, and set up some variables so you can only craft food items when a stove is present (stovetop_available = True, I guess)
Classes! Okay, I'll try that out too. I'm not very good with this coding, but I'll do my best.
You can add money to an inventory like so

$ jane_inv.money += 500

I think the crafting changes should be implemented... and honestly, I figured someone would be interested in item 'types' eventually so I knew that would need to be added down the road. I'll try to make an update after I think about how best to set it up.
Aha, there was my issue. I was just trying jane.money! Silly me. I'll be looking forward to the update then, and thnaks again for your help!

Dart87

#24 Post by Dart87 »

I get this when I'm running the demo:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 51, in script
    "You can hover over the items to see a description. If you click on the sword you will perform the action associated with that item (jump to a label).  If you click on crafting ingredients you can view the crafting screen and make a doll.  You can also sort inventory several ways, and you can also switch between a grid and list view.  If you're using text items you'll probably only want to enable the list view."
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 166, in <module>
    use inventory_view(inventory)
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 197, in <module>
    if single_inventory:
NameError: name 'single_inventory' is not defined

Satan_Klaus

#25 Post by Satan_Klaus »

It's not working for me, either. This is what I get:

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 94, in script
    $ renpy.pause()
  File "game/script.rpy", line 94, in <module>
    $ renpy.pause()
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 266, in <module>
    use inventory_view(first_inventory, second_inventory, trade_mode)
    if single_inventory:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 94, in script
    $ renpy.pause()
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 785, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/script.rpy", line 94, in <module>
    $ renpy.pause()
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\exports.py", line 1126, in pause
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='pause', type='pause', roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 247, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2149, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2397, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 338, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 338, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 382, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2397, in <lambda>
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 394, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 555, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\screenlang.py", line 1251, in __call__
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, locals=scope)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 266, in <module>
    use inventory_view(first_inventory, second_inventory, trade_mode)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 936, in use_screen
    screen.function(**scope)
  File "C:\Users\massa\Desktop\Renpy\renpy-6.18.3-sdk\renpy\screenlang.py", line 1251, in __call__
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, locals=scope)
    if single_inventory:

Windows-post2008Server-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.18.3.761
Inventory Demo 1.3
I started your demo game (inventory 1.3 all) 'as is' with no modifications. Am I missing some prerequisite or library?

Satan_Klaus

Skhizein

#26 Post by Skhizein »

Having issues as well. Started a clean game and added stuff from the ground up, it worked up until I added items. This is the error message I got:

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 64, in script
    $ renpy.pause()
  File "game/script.rpy", line 64, in <module>
    $ renpy.pause()
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 156, in execute
    screen inventory_screen(inventory):
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 161, in execute
    frame:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 163, in execute
    hbox:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 164, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 166, in execute
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 181, in execute
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 182, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 183, in execute
    side "c r":
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 185, in execute
    viewport id "vp":
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 188, in execute
    if inventory.grid_view:  # grid view
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 192, in execute
    grid 3 grid_y:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 194, in execute
    for item in inventory.inv:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 195, in execute
    if item[0].icon:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 197, in execute
    if single_inventory:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 64, in script
    $ renpy.pause()
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 785, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "game/script.rpy", line 64, in <module>
    $ renpy.pause()
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\exports.py", line 1126, in pause
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='pause', type='pause', roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 247, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2149, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2397, in interact_core
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 338, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 338, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 382, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2397, in <lambda>
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 394, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "G:\Transfer 062114\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 555, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 156, in execute
    screen inventory_screen(inventory):
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 161, in execute
    frame:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 163, in execute
    hbox:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 164, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 166, in execute
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 181, in execute
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 182, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 183, in execute
    side "c r":
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 185, in execute
    viewport id "vp":
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 188, in execute
    if inventory.grid_view:  # grid view
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 192, in execute
    grid 3 grid_y:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 194, in execute
    for item in inventory.inv:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 195, in execute
    if item[0].icon:
  File "game/inventory.rpy", line 197, in execute
    if single_inventory:
  File "<screen language>", line 197, in <module>

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.18.3.761
Inventory Demo 1.3
My script file:

label start:

$ cookbook = list() 

######### DEFINE INVENTORIES ##########    
    $ zosi_inv = Inventory("Zosi")
    $ mindy_inv = Inventory("Mindy", 500, 75)
    $ chest = Inventory("Storage Chest")  

######### DEFINE ITEM OBJECTS ##########
    ### The format is name, description, icon image (if applicable), value (if applicable, selling/buying value), use/action (screen language action to be performed when icon is clicked on inventory screen), and recipe (if craftable).

### Items without icons are created like this:      
    #$ quarter = Item("Quarter", "A new quarter")

### Items with icons are created like this:
    $ eye = Item("Eyeball", "A human eyeball, how creepy!", "images/eye.png", 250)

### Items that can be used in crafting
    $ but = Item("Button", "A shiny button", "images/button.png", 100, act=crafting)
    $ yarn = Item("Yarn", "Yarny yarny yarn.", "images/yarn.png", 30, act=crafting)
    $ fabric = Item("Fabric", "You know, cloth.", "images/fabric.png", 100, act=crafting)   
    $ coin = Item("Coin", "An old coin", "images/coin.png", 1, act=crafting)

### An item with a unique action (jumps to label)
    $ sword = Item("Awesome Sword", "An awesome sword.", "images/sword.png", 500, Jump("sword_clicky"))

### An item that can be crafted has a recipe, which is a nested list of [ingredient, qty]
    $ necklace = Item("Penny Necklace", "Super magic.", "images/necklace.png", 50, recipe=[[coin,6],[yarn,1]])    
    $ doll = Item("Handmade Doll", "Guaranteed to bring luck. (Or not?) Very huggable, mind the needle.", "images/doll.png", 100000, recipe=[[but,2],[fabric,3],[yarn,1]])
    ########################################   

show screen overlay
    show screen inventory_screen(zosi_inv)         

"Blah blah blah."

$ zosi_inv.take(coin,4)
    $ zosi_inv.take(sword)
    $ zosi_inv.take(eye)
    $ zosi_inv.take(but,2)
    $ zosi_inv.take(fabric,3)
    $ zosi_inv.take(yarn,2)   

$ zosi_inv.money = 500  
    $ mindy_inv = Inventory("Mindy", 500, 75)
    $ mindy_inv.take(eye,4)
    $ mindy_inv.take(but,3)
    $ mindy_inv.take(coin,2)

jump looping    

label looping:
    $ renpy.pause()
    jump looping

return
Inventory.rpy and all other screens are just direct copies of the demo files (but with the overlay screen defined in inventory.rpy). I'll keep messing around to see what I'm doing wrong, but I have zero python knowledge so I won't get very far very fast on my own.

Oh, I should mention the demo works perfectly on its own when opening from the executable, but for some reason it doesn't work when copying over the images/script/options/screens/inventory files into a new project.

Edit:
I think I've figured out the problem, but not the solution. The scope of single_inventory and tt (the tooltip) seem to be what's causing it. When the vendor or inventory screens call inventory_view, inventory_view can't access their values for single_inventory and tt, or something. I don't really know. I have no idea what I'm doing. I thought this code was a dream come true but... it's turning into quite the nightmare.

xanzero

#27 Post by xanzero »

Skhizein wrote: Edit:
I think I've figured out the problem, but not the solution. The scope of single_inventory and tt (the tooltip) seem to be what's causing it. When the vendor or inventory screens call inventory_view, inventory_view can't access their values for single_inventory and tt, or something. I don't really know. I have no idea what I'm doing. I thought this code was a dream come true but... it's turning into quite the nightmare.
It seems to conflict with the latest version of renpy.

use inventory_view(inventory) doesn't send:
default single_inventory = True
default tt = Tooltip("")
to the inventory_view

http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html#use
If the used screen include parameters, its scope is initialized to the result of assigning the arguments to those parameters. Otherwise, it is passed the scope of the current screen, updated with any keyword arguments passed to the screen.
Not sure exactly what this is saying, but it sounds like if it has parameters it loses the variables of the screen that called it. Which the code seems to need.

I can fix it by getting rid of the default variables and setting "screen inventory_view(inventory, second_inventory=False, trade_mode=False, single_inventory = True):"

hovered [tt.Action("%s: %s (List Value %d)" % (item[0].name, item[0].desc, item[0].value)), Show("inventory_tooltip")]

I still don't understand why inventory_tooltip doesn't work when it worked in the old version.

"use inventory_tooltip" in inventory_screen isn't necessary now but I don't know why it worked in the first place. The value in the tooltip does get updated when hovered but how was that screen getting called and showing it in the old code? :?

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#28 Post by AsHLeX »

Thank you so much for this!!! It'll definitely come in handy :')

Stapper
Regular

#29 Post by Stapper »

I ran into the same problem as xanzero with this system and the latest Renpy version and can confirm that those default settings aren't registered anymore. I booted up my game after updating to renpy-6.99.5 and suddenly I cannot use my inventory anymore.

Is there someone that does have the solution for us or can update this script, or am I confined to version renpy-6.17.3 now?

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#30 Post by firecat »

well its official this code is broken until someone fix it.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot