RPG Overworld Engine

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Mayche

Re: RPG Overworld Engine

#16 Post by Mayche »

i downloaded it but when i try opening the script is says xe4r is wrong or something

Mole-chan
Veteran
Completed: DUAEL, Escape from Puzzlegate
Projects: A Bird with Gold-Mended Wings
Deviantart: mole-chan
itch: moleworks

#17 Post by Mole-chan »

Mayche wrote:i downloaded it but when i try opening the script is says xe4r is wrong or something
xe4r? I haven't heard of that. Can you show me a picture of your error? or otherwise copy the text exactly? Because that doesn't sound like anything I programmed.

Mayche

#18 Post by Mayche »

well i think my internet is wrong or something like that, even if i show you what's wrong it's gonna be on swedish but it says katalog name xe4r is wrong or something like that i will see if my internet is wrong (i've been having problems whit it lately)

Mole-chan
Veteran

#19 Post by Mole-chan »

Mayche wrote:well i think my internet is wrong or something like that, even if i show you what's wrong it's gonna be on swedish but it says katalog name xe4r is wrong or something like that i will see if my internet is wrong (i've been having problems whit it lately)
I would still appreciate a screenshot or traceback. Even using a translator on that would be more helpful than trying to just guess what is wrong.

If you think it might be a bad download, then I would try and download it again. But if that doesn't work, please give me the screenshot or traceback.

Mayche

#20 Post by Mayche »

Well now it does work i updated renpy and it works now thank you for the replies^^

paktek123
Completed: Raiser RPG Framework for Ren'Py
Github: paktek123

#21 Post by paktek123 »

Great work!! This is awesome!

Mole-chan
Veteran

#22 Post by Mole-chan »

Mayche wrote:Well now it does work i updated renpy and it works now thank you for the replies^^
Glad it worked, sorry I was so slow to reply! I didn't see this. But either way, I'm very glad you eventually got it to work. Wish you luck using the engine c:
paktek123 wrote:Great work!! This is awesome!
Thank you~!

CalixtheGreat
Regular
Projects: Zephyr Breeze Investigations
itch: calixthegreat

#23 Post by CalixtheGreat »

Is it possible to use this and build a game for Android?
FB PAGE:
CALIX THE GREAT

Mole-chan
Veteran

#24 Post by Mole-chan »

CalixtheGreat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:42 am Is it possible to use this and build a game for Android?
It should be, yes! The engine was made with a custom displayable on a very recent version of Ren'py. So any version capable of producing an android build should be able to utilize it.

CalixtheGreat
Regular
Projects: Zephyr Breeze Investigations
itch: calixthegreat

#25 Post by CalixtheGreat »

Mole-chan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:52 pm
CalixtheGreat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:42 am Is it possible to use this and build a game for Android?
It should be, yes! The engine was made with a custom displayable on a very recent version of Ren'py. So any version capable of producing an android build should be able to utilize it.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can i make a screen overlay for arrow keys that allows the player to walk then another button to interact?

As you can see, the rpg overworld engine's example code is for PC. But it doesn't work on android since the only way to move the player is by pressing keys from keyboard.

Sorry for if my english is not that good. Hahhaa
FB PAGE:
CALIX THE GREAT

Mole-chan
Veteran

#26 Post by Mole-chan »

CalixtheGreat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:06 am
Mole-chan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:52 pm
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can i make a screen overlay for arrow keys that allows the player to walk then another button to interact?

As you can see, the rpg overworld engine's example code is for PC. But it doesn't work on android since the only way to move the player is by pressing keys from keyboard.

Sorry for if my english is not that good. Hahhaa
Don't worry, it's not a dumb question, and your english is fine. :3

Yes, this code is very PC oriented, and I never got around to making it more mobile friendly. There is a swipe based control system buried in there, but it's probably not ideal.

For a button overlay, you'd probably blit some buttons to a set position, and have the controls assigned to clicking their hitbox instead of hitting the WASD keys. Just add something like this to the code underneath "if (ev.type == pygame.MOUSEBUTTONDOWN)":

Code: Select all

pos = pygame.mouse.get_pos() #get position of mouse
	    off = self.panMap() #get offset of the child
	    pos2 = ((pos[0] - off[0]),(pos[1] - off[1])) #adjust for offset, so we're getting reasonably close coordinates

if not self.player.caught and not self.talking:

if upButton.rect.collidepoint(pos2):
                    self.player.facing, self.player.up = 'up', True
                    self.player.walking = True

if rightButton.rect.collidepoint(pos2):
                    self.player.facing, self.player.right = 'right', True

if leftButton.rect.collidepoint(pos2):
                    self.player.facing, self.player.left = 'left', True

if downButton.rect.collidepoint(pos2):
                    self.player.facing, self.player.down = 'down', True

if interactButton.rect.collidepoint(pos2) and not self.talking and not self.goTo:
                    for vil in self.sceneryList:
                        self.talk(vil)

Keep in mind you'll have to define all these buttons beforehand.

And I could swear there was a way to determine what platform the build is for, that you could check against for an if/or clause. That way this is only displayed when appropriate. But it's been years and I can't seem to find it. If you have any luck with that, I'd highly encourage using it.

Hope this helps!

Pomeranian
Regular

#27 Post by Pomeranian »

Would it be possible to have a pre-rendered background that the player could walk on, that scrolls with the player? The tiles would still be in use on a higher layer for things like interactable objects, npcs etc. I'm thinking something akin to parallax mapping in rpg maker, if you're familiar with it.

Mole-chan
Veteran

#28 Post by Mole-chan »

Pomeranian wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:01 pm Would it be possible to have a pre-rendered background that the player could walk on, that scrolls with the player? The tiles would still be in use on a higher layer for things like interactable objects, npcs etc. I'm thinking something akin to parallax mapping in rpg maker, if you're familiar with it.
IIRC, that's actually the system that the engine was using when released. I was planning to upgrade to a proper tile based system for everything, not just interactable objects, but never quite got to it. So, yes, a parallax system is very much possible.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#29 Post by Imperf3kt »

Mole-chan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:15 pm And I could swear there was a way to determine what platform the build is for, that you could check against for an if/or clause. That way this is only displayed when appropriate. But it's been years and I can't seem to find it. If you have any luck with that, I'd highly encourage using it.

Hope this helps!

if not renpy.variant("android"):
        #your code
    else:
        #PC code
I'd suggest trying "mobile" instead of "android" first to encompass other touch platforms.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Mole-chan
Veteran

#30 Post by Mole-chan »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:30 am
Mole-chan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:15 pm And I could swear there was a way to determine what platform the build is for, that you could check against for an if/or clause. That way this is only displayed when appropriate. But it's been years and I can't seem to find it. If you have any luck with that, I'd highly encourage using it.

Hope this helps!

if not renpy.variant("android"):
        #your code
    else:
        #PC code
I'd suggest trying "mobile" instead of "android" first to encompass other touch platforms.
Ah yes, that's it! Thank you