Building your android app

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Brambly
Regular
Projects: 200 Years Behind
Deviantart: fallenangel1017

Building your android app

#1 Post by Brambly » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 pm

There is not much information about building an android project and it's seems that there are some common errors that occur that makes you just want to give up. So I decided to make a quick little tutorial about how I created my android project and how to avoid and/or fix the errors that I came across.

First of all right click on Ren'py and click run as admistrator. (Some times a permission error occurs so I tend to run Ren'py as admistrator just to avoid this error while building my packages.) Then click on Android and install the SDK.
You may encouter the following error:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "game/android.rpy", line 247, in call
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 896, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified  
Don't worry this is an easy fix :)
Open up the file where Ren'Py is installed. Then open the file titled "rapt"
There is a zip file titled "android-sdk-r23_r23-windows". You need to manually unzip this file. Once unziped copy and replace the contents of the "android-sdk-r23" file.
Open the "android-sdk-r23" file then open "tools" there should be a file called android (or android.bat) If not go back to the zip file open the file and manually extract the android file from the zip file and place it in the "tools" file.
Go back to to the Ren'py window and reinstall the SDK. It should now work.

Configure
The configure step is easy. Just follow the instructions. Make sure you only use ASCII characters while filling out the options.

The code version has to be a number. Don't put any letters or words in like I did. It will cause an error.

Android Build
The most commen reason why the android build fails is because one of your files contain non-ASCII characters. Go back an and check your files and your account name for any characters that may not be ASCII characters.

hedge99
Completed: Guardian Angel

Re: Building your android app

#2 Post by hedge99 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:11 am

This is really helpful! Thanks!

Bookmarking for future reference~

Abraham
Organization: Almawalker

Re: Building your android app

#3 Post by Abraham » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:43 am

Very helping! Google play... I coming!