Renpy language support in Sublime Text

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Renpy language support in Sublime Text

#1 Post by Zetsubou »

After seeing williamd1k0's Renpy atom plugin, I decided that Sublime Text was overdue for some Renpy support.

For those unfamiliar with Sublime Text, it's a text editor/IDE mostly aimed at professional programmers.
That's not to say that you need to be a programmer to use it. Even if you're just writing Renpy scripts, having things like syntax highlighting, autocomplete, distraction-free mode, etc. may be of use to you.
If you're curious, you can download ST and run the free trial indefinitely. (Unless you use it for work purposes, the license cost may seem a bit high)

Anyway, onto the package: https://github.com/koroshiya/Sublime-Renpy
You can also install it via Sublime Text's package control by looking for "RenpyLanguage".

This package adds syntax highlighting for most Renpy keywords and some classes/methods, as well as autocomplete for all of the methods I could find.
There are still improvements to be made, keywords to be added, etc.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

Re: Renpy language support in Sublime Text

#2 Post by netravelr »

Awesome! I actually do all of my RenPy programming in Sublime Text, so this'll make things even easier. Thanks!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

I have only used Editra for my Ren'py coding needs. It seems like it does whatever I'd need...but now you are telling me about Sublime Text.
So...could you tell me what the advantages of Sublime Text is over Editra? Why would a person want to switch over? Should I switch over? Thanks!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Zetsubou »

netravelr wrote:Awesome! I actually do all of my RenPy programming in Sublime Text, so this'll make things even easier. Thanks!
Woo, I knew I wasn't the only one :lol:
trooper6 wrote:I have only used Editra for my Ren'py coding needs. It seems like it does whatever I'd need...but now you are telling me about Sublime Text.
So...could you tell me what the advantages of Sublime Text is over Editra? Why would a person want to switch over? Should I switch over? Thanks!
I'm unfamiliar with Editra, so I can't really compare the two, but some features people might find handy in ST with Renpy include:
-Syntax highlighting. eg. The "scene" keyword in a scene statement will appear red, dialog inside quotation marks will be yellow, etc. making it easy to see if you've forgotten the ending quotation mark, misspelled "scene", and so on.

-File-specific word completion. This is like spellcheck for Android or iOS, but the words are ones you've entered yourself.
For example, if I open chapter_01.rpy, and I write 1000 words, ST will have started to remember certain words that I've typed. If my main character's home town is named "Metropoliblahblah", ST will remember that word after I've typed it once or twice. So the next time I start to type in "Metro", it will realize I'm trying to enter the town's name and give me the option to automatically complete the rest of the word by pressing Tab.

-Character pairing. For example, if I enter a quotation mark, a second quotation mark will appear immediately after it, and my cursor will be placed right between the two. Combined with syntax highlighting, it becomes very hard to forget closing quotation marks.

-Auto indentation. eg. If you're in a label, and the line of text you've just written is indented by four spaces, then hitting enter and going to a new line will automatically indent you by four spaces, matching the previous line.

-Code completion. When typing a method name, you'll be shown potential matches. eg. If I type "me", ST will match that to Renpy's "menu" statement. If I hit Tab, ST will complete the method for me.
So "me" will become

Code: Select all

menu:
            ''

'Choice 1':

pass

'Choice 2':

pass
with the cursor automatically placed between the two apostrophes just after "menu".
This works for any methods I've remembered to add. eg. "dis" will allow me to autocomplete

Code: Select all

Dissolve(time=, alpha=False, time_warp=None)
with the cursor placed between the first equals sign and comma.

-Distraction-free mode. This is basically a fullscreen mode, optionally with tabs and the sidebar open. There's not a lot to explain for this one. It's just handy if you want to focus on the script at hand, or if you need more screen space.

There are plenty of other features to explore (eg. theme customization, multiple cursors, etc.), but I think the above would be most relevant to Renpy coders.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by philat »

On top of that, Sublime is just pretty. ;) Of course, it's also $70 for a license... although there's nothing stopping you from using it on trial mode forever.

I also didn't have much trouble scripting with just the python syntax, but thanks for this, definitely nicer.

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#6 Post by sendo »

philat wrote:Sublime is just pretty.
So much this! Of course, having a pretty editor doesn't make you a better coder or anything, but it improves my workflow ^^

Here's what my Sublime workspace look like in distraction-free mode :3 (I added a couple more keywords btw)
color scheme: Spacegray | theme: Predawn
color scheme: Spacegray | theme: Predawn
Aside from the features Zetsubou listed, I love the Goto Anything feature of Sublime. It basically allows you to find and open files by typing their filenames, instead of popping up a dialog box or navigating through a directory. You can also jump straight to class methods by typing <classfile>@<method>. Best of all, it uses fuzzy search so you don't have to type everything!

Thanks for this Zetsubou!
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Zetsubou »

No problem :)
If you notice missing keywords or methods, by all means file an issue on GitHub (or send a pull request, or post here, or...)
Finished games

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#8 Post by xavimat »

I'm using Sublime Text for the first time and it's interesting.

I can't find, though, how to get auto-indentation after a colon. I have it in Editra.
Any help?
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Zetsubou »

I'm afraid I haven't figured that out get, though it's something I'd really like to add.
At the moment it'll only do so for recognized python statements (if, else, etc.).
I've currently settled for auto-complete for things like menu statements, though if I do figure it out, or someone else does and sends me a pull request, I'll definitely add it.
Finished games

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Zetsubou »

Okay, figured it out.
I've added auto-indent support for lines ending with a colon in v1.0.2.
It's been pushed to GitHub, so the update should be available through package control sooner or later.
Finished games

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by philat »

Hmm. I don't know that this is a bug per se, but auto-complete is kicking in more often than I want it to.

For instance, if I type show screen test and hit enter, it will automatically convert "test" into FileTakeScreenshot. There are a few other things like this. I haven't really poked into customizing Sublime Text behavior, but Zetsubou, do you know how to set it so it would only autofill/autocorrect if I press tab or something like that?

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#12 Post by xavimat »

@Zetsubou: Have you checked the link that renpytom gave in the Atom thread with the reserved words for keywords and properties?
https://github.com/renpy/renpy/blob/mas ... eywords.py
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Zetsubou »

philat wrote:Hmm. I don't know that this is a bug per se, but auto-complete is kicking in more often than I want it to.

For instance, if I type show screen test and hit enter, it will automatically convert "test" into FileTakeScreenshot. There are a few other things like this. I haven't really poked into customizing Sublime Text behavior, but Zetsubou, do you know how to set it so it would only autofill/autocorrect if I press tab or something like that?
Yeah, having autocomplete on enter can be annoying. To make it only happen on tab, go to:
Preferences -> Settings - User
In that file, add the setting: "auto_complete_commit_on_tab": true
That will make autocomplete only happen on tab, not enter.

Funnily enough, the description for this option in Settings - Default is:
"By default, auto complete will commit the current completion on enter. This setting can be used to make it complete on tab instead. Completing on tab is generally a superior option, as it removes ambiguity between committing the completion and inserting a newline."
So you certainly aren't the first person to find autocomplete on enter annoying.
xavimat wrote:@Zetsubou: Have you checked the link that renpytom gave in the Atom thread with the reserved words for keywords and properties?
https://github.com/renpy/renpy/blob/mas ... eywords.py
Thanks xavimat, I'll take a look later this week. It should only take a second to integrate, though there seem to be some duplicate values in there, and I'll need to remove any that already exist in python.
Finished games

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by philat »

Thanks, Zetsubou! I like how they say auto complete on tab is superior, but the default is enter, haha.

shivanshs9
Regular
Projects: The Destiny(http://thedestiny-cxz.blogspot.com)
Organization: Cyber-X-Zone

#15 Post by shivanshs9 »

Thanks! I've been using Sublime Text for years and was trying to add Ren'Py keywords in it for ease of work, but it was getting difficult, so I dropped it. Thanks again, Zetsubou, for your patience to add all the keywords in it!
"Destiny is a no matter of chance
It is a matter of choice
It is not a thing to be waited for
It is a thing to be achieved..."

-William Jennings Bryan
If you can dream and not make dreams your master;
If you can think and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
And treat those two impostors just the same,
Only then can you ever win against yourself...