Dating Sim Engine (DSE) 4.1! Day Planner and Event Manager

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
isak grozny
Regular
Projects: The Bitter Drop [Modern Fantasy][Gay Romance][BxB]
itch: grrozny

Re: Dating Sim Engine (DSE) 4.1! Day Planner and Event Manager

#181 Post by isak grozny »

So, I still don't quite get the difference between

Code: Select all

event.solo()
and

event.only()
. Is the point of the latter to prevent events with the same priority from interfering? Or? I don't understand how to choose which one to use in what case.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#182 Post by qirien »

OK, so "solo" means that this event will only run if there's nothing of higher priority. Sort of like a default event. "only" means that this event is the only one that should happen during that time period. The comments in dse-event_dispatcher.rpy talk about this a little but it is a little difficult to explain...
Finished games:

isak grozny
Regular
Projects: The Bitter Drop [Modern Fantasy][Gay Romance][BxB]
itch: grrozny

#183 Post by isak grozny »

Oh, I see! That actually makes sense, thank you!!

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#184 Post by gas »

I'm doing a variant that include a number of options for a calendar, activities and control values, boosting the simulative experience a bit (Tokimeki Memorial style). It should be scalable and hopefully entirely standalone.
I can post it here when finished?
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#185 Post by qirien »

That would be great!
Finished games:

Mole-chan
Veteran
Completed: DUAEL, Escape from Puzzlegate
Projects: A Bird with Gold-Mended Wings
Deviantart: mole-chan
itch: moleworks

#186 Post by Mole-chan »

Hi there! First, thank you for the engine. I've found it incredibly useful since I've downloaded it and appreciate all the work you've put in to keep it current.

Now, on to my question. Should I want to tie an event to a label with arguments passed to it, how would I go about doing this?

Something like this:

label set_msg_event(speaker=None, lbl=None):
$speaker.set_msg(lbl)
jump phone

My understanding is that the events use calls for labels, so it should be possible, I'm just not sure what kind of format it's looking for.

Thank you,
Mole

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#187 Post by qirien »

Hey, this is not possible with the current DSE functionality. However, if you wanted to add it, I don't think it would be a problem.
You'd need to add it into dse-event_dispatcher.rpy in the events_run_period function, probably as a keyword argument. And then instead of calling:
"call expression _event" you would do "call expression _event pass event_arguments" as is documented here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/label.ht ... -statement

I'm afraid I have not kept the DSE up lately; I don't see any reason why it would have a problem under Ren'Py 8 but I haven't done any work on that either...
I hope this answers your question; I was not sure from your code what exactly you were trying to do.
Finished games:

Mole-chan
Veteran
Completed: DUAEL, Escape from Puzzlegate
Projects: A Bird with Gold-Mended Wings
Deviantart: mole-chan
itch: moleworks

#188 Post by Mole-chan »

qirien wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:15 pm Hey, this is not possible with the current DSE functionality. However, if you wanted to add it, I don't think it would be a problem.
You'd need to add it into dse-event_dispatcher.rpy in the events_run_period function, probably as a keyword argument. And then instead of calling:
"call expression _event" you would do "call expression _event pass event_arguments" as is documented here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/label.ht ... -statement

I'm afraid I have not kept the DSE up lately; I don't see any reason why it would have a problem under Ren'Py 8 but I haven't done any work on that either...
I hope this answers your question; I was not sure from your code what exactly you were trying to do.
Thank you so much for your response!

From the looks of it, that should work perfectly. It should be easy enough to add to this game's implementation of the DSE, as well.

I don't blame you for not keeping up on it and am just grateful to have an answer to this question. I admit I couldn't tell you either if it works under Renpy 8, as most of my projects still use a later version of 7, but I also see no reason why it wouldn't. Whatever the case, it works for my project and that's enough for me.

Junsei7

#189 Post by Junsei7 »

Hi,
Not sure if it's still OK to post questions about the DSE, but I thought I would chance it. I am very much a newbie and the DSE has been truly awesome. I've been playing around with trying to make the interface of the planner fit the aesthetic that I want, but have hit a snag. I would like the 'Done' button to be outside of the frame, but that seems to mess with the can_continue code too much. I have the statistics vertically down the left hand side and then the planner taking up about 3/4 of the page on the right. What I'm looking for is to have the Done button in the lower left-hand corner under the statistics instead of underneath the choices. Is that possible? Thank you for any help!

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#190 Post by qirien »

Hey, you should be able to have the Done button wherever you want!
You are right that you need the Done button to be after the calculations for the can_continue variable.

If you take the four lines of code for the Done button and un-indent them so they are outside the frame, but still inside the screen, that will work.

if (can_continue):
        textbutton dp_done_title style "dp_done_button" action Return()
    else:
        textbutton dp_done_title style "dp_done_button"
You can then change the style of the Done button to be placed where you want it. In the original DSE code, I made it 90% of the way down the screen by adding a yalign in styles.rpy. You can also change the xposition of the button here:

style dp_done_button:
    xalign 0.2 # x position 20% of the way across
    yalign 0.9 # y position 90% of the way down
I hope this helps!
Finished games:

Junsei7

#191 Post by Junsei7 »

Ohmygosh! Thank you so much! I thought I had tried that, but obviously I had the indents wrong. You're an absolute star! Thank you again for this and for the DSE in general. It's been so helpful not only for the template, but to help me understand how the coding works in the first place.

InkyFrog

#192 Post by InkyFrog »

I was told to ask my question here, so I hope this is okay.

I'm working with DSE 4.1. So far it's been working great for me, but I have a tiny issue that might have an obvious solution.

I'm making a game where the statistics are for character affection, and all of them are hidden. In this case, the statistics bar in the day planner is useless to me.

My coding skills are not only rusty but were never strong to begin with, so I'm not sure how to remove this from the day planner without breaking the code.

Is there a certain place I should add or remove code that will clear it out?

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#193 Post by qirien »

Probably the easiest is just to comment out the displaying of stats in dse-day_planner.rpy:

#use display_stats(name=True, bar=True, value=True, max=True)
They will still be stored, they just won't show up.
Finished games:

InkyFrog

#194 Post by InkyFrog »

qirien wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:08 pm Probably the easiest is just to comment out the displaying of stats in dse-day_planner.rpy:

#use display_stats(name=True, bar=True, value=True, max=True)
They will still be stored, they just won't show up.
Just tested it out, and it works perfectly! Thank you very much!