Splitting up long NVL text

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

Splitting up long NVL text

#1 Post by Ryue »

I found myself in trouble when using NVL because I always came below the limit for the window when I posted something. Furthermore
when I did the text line by line it was hard to send it to the editor and get it back again and reformat it.

Thus I wrote the code below so that I can use long texts from one talker and split it onto multiple nvl clear pages programmatically.

Known issues: \n (new line) can prove troublesome.

Code: Select all

init -50 python:
    def LongNVLText(talker, text):
        text = text.strip()
        splittedText = []

maxPageLength = 947 # Max. number of chars per page

while (len(text) > maxPageLength):
            foundBlankPosition = text.rfind(' ', 0, maxPageLength + 1)

if (foundBlankPosition < 0):
                foundBlankPosition = maxPageLength + 1 # If no blank present then print all you get

subText = text[0:foundBlankPosition + 1]

splittedText.append(subText)

text = text[foundBlankPosition:].strip()

if (len(text) > 0):
            splittedText.append(text) # Print all remaining text

totalTextPages = len(splittedText)
        currentPage = 0

for printText in splittedText:
            currentPage = currentPage + 1

if (len(printText) > 0): # Only print something if there is something to print
                talker(printText)

if (currentPage < totalTextPages): # New page!
                    nvl_clear()
Usage:

Code: Select all

$narration = new Character(.....)
#Array and multiple lines only used for readability. They have no effect on the text printed.
$LongNVLText(narration, (
    "blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. "
    "blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. blah blupp blah. "
))
Last edited by Ryue on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

Re: Splitting up long NVL text

#2 Post by chocoberrie »

This looks really helpful, awesome! :D

If there is a lot of NVL text, trying to check the placement of every /n to make sure it's correct (or fixing them if there's errors) would be irritating...

So where would you put this? I'm assuming before the start label, right? (Or in another script file?) :)

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

Re: Splitting up long NVL text

#3 Post by Ryue »

chocoberrie wrote:This looks really helpful, awesome! :D

If there is a lot of NVL text, trying to check the placement of every /n to make sure it's correct (or fixing them if there's errors) would be irritating...

So where would you put this? I'm assuming before the start label, right? (Or in another script file?) :)
Hi
The next thing I would like is it to also recognize and process \n inside the text......but not sure how to tackle that one atm.

That aside I updated the script above to also include how the whole file looked like. I put it into its separate file called utiles.rpy (used to putting things into separate files).