About full customization

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Beep77812

About full customization

#1 Post by Beep77812 »

Am I the only one who doesn't get anything from the documentation? I'm totally lost in there.
When I try to find what I need, I just search for hours and I don't know what to look for, really, because everything I type in the search doesn't give me the results I was looking for.
I'm using the new GUI system and I was wondering - should I even bother with this, when the old system seems to be much easier to work with?
Or is there any chance that a nice person would make a simple tutorial on how to use everything in the new system?

Enchant00
Regular

Re: About full customization

#2 Post by Enchant00 »

* PS: This should be in another thread and not here :lol:

HAHA yup when they updated there was quite a few changes to the original code and there was a bit of a learning curve but the the new one is really more efficient than the old one. As for the documentation, it's quite clear to me are you perhaps using the old documentation or is it from the main website https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/ if you are still having problems I could help you. Just tell me what you are looking for and I could reference it to you.

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

Re: About full customization

#3 Post by Milkymalk »

The documentation is a nightmare for people who are new to or not very experienced with programming. I know it took me a long time to wrap my head around some of the concepts explained there and I still don't fully understand transforms and transitions - and still have massive problems with screen language. The documentation just lacks extensive examples of about everything and concentrates too much on "what does stuff do" instead of "how stuff is used for what" ("this device applies short-time pressure depending on its kinetic energy" is a correct desrciption for a hammer, but "you can drive nails into a wall with this" is more helpful). The problem with this: Someone has to make these examples in the first place!
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)