Possible to have multiple different menu choice styles?

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
AnnieTiamat
Regular

Possible to have multiple different menu choice styles?

#1 Post by AnnieTiamat »

Question: can I have more than one choice menu style in the game?

I'm good with the basic centered style for most of the one I'm working on, but for some others (puzzles, mostly) I need to scoot the options elsewhere. Imagine a scenario where you're talking to someone - the basic centered choice menu is ideal here - versus a puzzle taking up most of the center screen.

This would help immensely with not just staging my existing puzzles (so I don't have options covering up the main screen) but allow for potential customization so I'm not scrabbling around with hotspots, and can do more reactive tweaking to text-based elements (like - instead of looped menus for just choosing numbers, setting it up like a keypad).

(Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but searches just about "choice menu" led me to repeated topics on customizing the style of the base choice menu, which I know how to do.)

AnnieTiamat
Regular

Re: Possible to have multiple different menu choice styles?

#2 Post by AnnieTiamat »

AAAAAAAAAAND I broke forum rules. This is why you don't keep multiple tabs open on the same site, everyone. Many and profuse apologies!

/runs away

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Possible to have multiple different menu choice styles?

#3 Post by SundownKid »

This should obviously be in Renpy Questions but, yes, it's definitely possible, you just need to use a conditional branch, and variables.