(Question) Putting an overworld into my game?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lacticacid
Regular

(Question) Putting an overworld into my game?

#1 Post by lacticacid »

I want to put an overworld into my game. I've seen adya overworld engine, but unfortunately, I don't think it works for me. I'd prefer it to be similar to games such as Night In The Woods, Sally Face, Fran Bow, or basically most point and click games. I'm bad at explaining, but a look at some clips of the examples I mentioned should give somewhat of an idea of what I want.

edit: I tried to figure out what exactly I want, and here's what I came up with:
- Movement in only 2 directions, left and right, instead of all 4. This one is probably the easiest one to do. (if possible, jumping as well)
- Instead of tiles, I would like to use images as backgrounds
- Imagebuttons that the player can click on. (In fact, I would've just done an imagemap or a screen if I could figure out how to do all the other things on this list on one)
- (This one sounds confusing so you're welcome to just skip it) Once the edge of an image touches the edge of the screen, the image stops moving and the player stops being in the center and can go up to that edge. I'm sure that just sounded like a bunch of nonsense because, as I mentioned, I am very bad at explaining, but the basic idea is that instead of continuing its movement until the player bumps into a wall or something and revealing the *insert color here* background behind it, the background image stops moving when its edge is reached.
I am very sorry for not specifying these things in my original post.
Last edited by lacticacid on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~There is almost always a better, easier way to approach a problem.~

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

Re: (Question) Putting an overworld into my game?

#2 Post by Mutive »

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but you can use the screens feature in Renpy to very simply make a point and click game. (I can provide some example code from my own game, if you'd like.)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

lacticacid
Regular

#3 Post by lacticacid »

Mutive wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:01 pm I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but you can use the screens feature in Renpy to very simply make a point and click game. (I can provide some example code from my own game, if you'd like.)
(I edited the original post to be more specific, I am very sorry for not specifying what exactly I meant in the first place.)
The main problem with screens is that i have no idea how to 1. move the background as the player presses the arrows and 2. have a player character in the middle
But you're probably right that using screens is my best bet.

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

#4 Post by Per K Grok »

lacticacid wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 pm ---
The main problem with screens is that i have no idea how to 1. move the background as the player presses the arrows and 2. have a player character in the middle
---
Your thread should really be in the Questions and Announcements forum. Not sure how you go about, having it moved.

My thread on making a character walk might be of some use to you for the questions you asked, though
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=53333
It is a work in progress so more to come later.

Threads on mini-games probably is useful to you as well.

lacticacid
Regular

#5 Post by lacticacid »

Per K Grok wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 pm
lacticacid wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 pm ---
---
Your thread should really be in the Questions and Announcements forum. Not sure how you go about, having it moved.

My thread on making a character walk might be of some use to you for the questions you asked, though
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=53333
It is a work in progress so more to come later.

Threads on mini-games probably is useful to you as well.
Thank you very much!