XRen'Py: visual editor for Ren'Py

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Zero Chaotic
Projects: XRen'Py
Github: ZeroChaotic
Soundcloud: Zero Chaotic

XRen'Py: visual editor for Ren'Py

#1 Post by Zero Chaotic »

eXtended Ren'Py - visual editor for Ren'Py 7

GITHUB project folder with description
Latest release
How to make a game

Currently only Windows
This application allows beginners and experienced developers to create simple Ren'Py game without any knowledge of Python and Ren'Py scripting.
Created with Visual Studio 2015, programming language C#, .NET framework, Windows Presentation Foundation, LINQ and XAML.
Compatible with Ren'Py 7 projects only.
Now it is possible to intuitively create and export to Ren'Py project:
  • Kinetic novels
  • Sound novels
  • Simple ADV novels
Try it out!

mrstalker
Organization: Mellow Bears

Re: XRen'Py: visual editor for Ren'Py

#2 Post by mrstalker »

Good initiative man, I can't test right now because I'm on Debian, but from what I saw on GitHub, looks like good work! One question: Why you used C# instead of Python, which is the language used by Ren'py, it would not be easier?
Sorry for the bad English!

Zero Chaotic

#3 Post by Zero Chaotic »

mrstalker wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:49 pm Good initiative man, I can't test right now because I'm on Debian, but from what I saw on GitHub, looks like good work! One question: Why you used C# instead of Python, which is the language used by Ren'py, it would not be easier?
Sorry for the bad English!
First of all, I like C#. When I first tried to code using it, it was pretty simple and it is still my favourite programming language. The same thing I want to say for the WPF - it's a great visualization subsystem of .NET Framework. Using the LINQ allowed me to get rid of databases in this application so I never even made any database.
Second - Visual Studio is my favourite IDE :3 Yes, it is so simple. Very comfortable one if you know what to do in it and at the moment of start of this project was the only one (I think it was) that allows you to see how the visual part of application on C++/C# looks like when using WPF.
Third reason is more complicated and is the main reason.
This project was recreated from scratch from my early project - the extended script editor, but I thought it has to become even better. I was trying to realise how to create a visual editor and I thought of two different options: extend the Ren'Py with additional Python code or do something else that can work independently. To extend Ren'Py that is a black box to me means to dive into it, study it hardly (which takes time and may be not so comfortable as I said earlier) and to try to develop something based on Ren'Py deeply integrated in it.
The way I though it to be made is exactly what I did - to visualize each moment in a game and get access to it's data there have to be a kind of a templates called "frame", "label", "image", "music" and so on to connect everything the most simple way possible. So I remembered a "frame" structure that takes place in a theory of AI and firstly it was used there, but the later interpretation of it was the class in OOP. But Python is not so good at OOP, the main and most common way to program stuff today. Also when you think about the way it has to work, in visual editor you will have the questions not only "how to build it", but "how to add/show something" and "how to remove/hide something". I knew OOP and C# good enough to divide the program into parts it required, create an algorythm of how the parts of the system have to work together and make them work that way, that's it. It could take time to deeply understand code of Ren'Py and to make a graphic user interface like I wanted it to be made, an at that moment I did have a will to create it, but didn't have enough time to study the new language, IDE, graphic subsystem and most importantly - the algorythm PyTom used to create Ren'Py to extend it with advanced graphics. Maybe in the future :3
I don't say it is the only way to create such a things, but I got everything together the way I could and the way I liked it the most. It is not finished, it is not perfect and it is not very good at performance questions but it works and works mostly as I expected.
I think I will have a possibility to compile it for Ubuntu and Debian.
I had a good time making it and hope you will too while testing it.)
P.S. My native country is Ukraine so maybe you can imagine how average level of my English is.)

Gouka
Regular
Projects: Demon Wraith

#4 Post by Gouka »

My antivirus detects this program as harmful malware. Any solutions?
Check the Chaos Lord development at http://atelieredgeproductions.wordpress.com

Zero Chaotic

#5 Post by Zero Chaotic »

Gouka wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 am My antivirus detects this program as harmful malware. Any solutions?
Thanks for feedback, this can be a little issue with antivirus itself. There is nothing in the code that can be detected as malware - no operating with system folders, no kind of file or rules or users changing etc., only usable specific stuff. Try to disable the protection for a while and mark this folder as safe, with ignoring and restoring from quarantine.
Which antivirus do you use?

Gouka
Regular
Projects: Demon Wraith

#6 Post by Gouka »

Zero Chaotic wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:24 am
Gouka wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 am My antivirus detects this program as harmful malware. Any solutions?
Thanks for feedback, this can be a little issue with antivirus itself. There is nothing in the code that can be detected as malware - no operating with system folders, no kind of file or rules or users changing etc., only usable specific stuff. Try to disable the protection for a while and mark this folder as safe, with ignoring and restoring from quarantine.
Which antivirus do you use?
I use Vipre Antivirus.
Check the Chaos Lord development at http://atelieredgeproductions.wordpress.com

Zero Chaotic

#7 Post by Zero Chaotic »

Gouka wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:11 pm I use Vipre Antivirus.
I never heard about Vipre. Bitdefender Free antivirus doesn't detect any troubles in program.
Here is the VirusTotal summary:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/32b ... /detection
I think the only way to avoid any troubles is to add this file to exclusions or to change the antivirus solution to something better.

Zero Chaotic

#8 Post by Zero Chaotic »

v0.0.5.1 is out!
Version of Visual Studio is now 2017
Changed character system: now adding of new frame sets the character of new frame to the last character
Menu options are now properly stylized
Small code refactoring

There are NO releases of this version, you can build it by yourself if you want.
Upcoming release will be after the program gets more improvements, fixes and enhancements.
Last edited by Zero Chaotic on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zero Chaotic

#9 Post by Zero Chaotic »

v0.0.5.2 is out!
Performance improved by optimizing the frame content loading
Audio options of enabling/disabling music, sound and voice in game are now automatically set depending on audio props.
Fixed issue when checking content in any frame caused disappearing of content in previous frames.

Release is available here!

Zero Chaotic

#10 Post by Zero Chaotic »

Hello guys,
I finally did a page on Patreon!
You can support me here:
https://www.patreon.com/zerochaotic

Zero Chaotic

#11 Post by Zero Chaotic »

v0.0.5.3 is out!
Characters are now selectable right in the view block.

Zero Chaotic

#12 Post by Zero Chaotic »

It was a looongtime since I posted here the last update, but hey, I am back.
v0.0.5.6 is out!
An update for pause recognition, lots of fixes and small improvements with a new ideas coming hopefully soon!

Prandygame
Completed: Romance Dimensional
Projects: Romance Dimensional 2
Organization: Prandy Game
itch: prandygame.itch.io

#13 Post by Prandygame »

Your program is magnificent, maybe you don't know how good it is yet, this simplifies and makes the work of the dialogs faster, it is perfect to make the basic part faster, such as placing the text, music, images, background etc, but It has some bugs, the GUI, the font part, the fonts do not appear, and I do not know if it is necessary to add them to a folder or look for it in the same windows system, when right clicking on the structure part it closed unexpectedly , I use windows 10 last update, also if you are creating a menu and then you go to structure a closure occurs, you should see an option to resize the images of the characters, but the project is super good.
My first game made in Renpy check it out.
https://prandygame.itch.io/visual-novel-romance

Zero Chaotic

#14 Post by Zero Chaotic »

Prandygame wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:33 pm Your program is magnificent, maybe you don't know how good it is yet, this simplifies and makes the work of the dialogs faster, it is perfect to make the basic part faster, such as placing the text, music, images, background etc, but It has some bugs, the GUI, the font part, the fonts do not appear, and I do not know if it is necessary to add them to a folder or look for it in the same windows system, when right clicking on the structure part it closed unexpectedly , I use windows 10 last update, also if you are creating a menu and then you go to structure a closure occurs, you should see an option to resize the images of the characters, but the project is super good.
Thank you very much!
Indeed there are still lots of bugs to be fixed and I am still working on it. Currrently this project is being refactored, I will try to look through the bugs as soon as possible. I will be thankful for the screenshots if you have some.
Also thank you for resizing idea. I already noticed that some images can be of other size, but I don't think they must be resized because it is up to graphic designer to make images properly. File management also needs to be a background task and I also think of it.
Right clicking on the structure part will be tested as soon as refactoring goes well. The fonts really don't appear in the view, I added this recently and plan to do more before next release comes out.
Stay tuned! and thank you again for your feedback!

Prandygame
Completed: Romance Dimensional
Projects: Romance Dimensional 2
Organization: Prandy Game
itch: prandygame.itch.io

#15 Post by Prandygame »

Zero Chaotic wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:12 am
Prandygame wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:33 pm
Thank you very much!
Indeed there are still lots of bugs to be fixed and I am still working on it. Currrently this project is being refactored, I will try to look through the bugs as soon as possible. I will be thankful for the screenshots if you have some.
Also thank you for resizing idea. I already noticed that some images can be of other size, but I don't think they must be resized because it is up to graphic designer to make images properly. File management also needs to be a background task and I also think of it.
Right clicking on the structure part will be tested as soon as refactoring goes well. The fonts really don't appear in the view, I added this recently and plan to do more before next release comes out.
Stay tuned! and thank you again for your feedback!
Yes, I will wait for the updates and try to see how it evolves, with desire and good luck.
My first game made in Renpy check it out.
https://prandygame.itch.io/visual-novel-romance