[Tutorial] Using Ren'Py SpriteManager for Complex Systems (Beginner-Friendly)

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

[Tutorial] Using Ren'Py SpriteManager for Complex Systems (Beginner-Friendly)

#1 Post by SypherZent »

I've finally managed to create my first tutorial for teaching how to use Ren'Py's SpriteManager!

Tutorial Part #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMcQg__Ffiw
Tutorial Part #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei-1AVkzUhI

---

SpriteManager is what I use to create complex games such as Who Wants To Destroy An Alien (link in my signature).

Note that, even if you have no coding knowledge, this tutorial will explain every line of code.
It is a perfect place to begin learning how to create games more advanced than simple Visual Novels.
You'll also learn a little bit about Python!

If you have already created Visual Novels with Ren'Py, then this tutorial can even help you expand your tools to add more complex animations to your games!

---

Please know, I am also open to providing one-on-one teaching lessons at rates that you can afford. If interested, PM me with your budget and I'll let you know precisely how many hours I can dedicate, based on what you're able to offer. All my paid services help fund my own productions.

Personal Note:
My experience with Ren'Py has convinced me that Ren'Py is an engine superior to Unity and Unreal Engine for 2D and 2.5D games.
Such a bold statement must be presented in bold!

This is for many reasons:
1) You have full control to create your game mechanics from scratch. It's like comparing a can of soup to homemade soup!
2) Python is far superior in terms of creating Artificial Intelligence compared to C languages.
3) Ren'Py doesn't simulate a 3D physics environment in order to constantly render a 2D image to a 2D screen on a frame-by-frame basis.
4) Ren'Py games will run even on low-spec machines, such as the $250 laptop that I have been using for 2 years to make games with Ren'Py.
5) Ren'Py is open source.

The goal of my tutorials will be to teach others how to create amazing games with Ren'Py, so that one day the world may see this engine's true potential.
That being said, what kind of tutorials would you like to see? For recommendations, comment below and I'll consider including it in my next videos!
Last edited by SypherZent on Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!

SypherZent
Veteran

Re: [Tutorial] Using Ren'Py SpriteManager for Complex Animations (Beginner-Friendly)

#2 Post by SypherZent »

Here is part #2 of the Ren'Py SpriteManager tutorial series.

This tutorial covers how to move the sprite with the arrow keys using Ren'Py SpriteManager along with PyGame.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei-1AVkzUhI

SpriteManager is what I use to create complex games such as Who Wants To Destroy An Alien (link in my signature, in first post).

The goal of my tutorials will be to teach others how to create amazing games with Ren'Py, so that one day the world may see this engine's true potential.
That being said, what kind of tutorials would you like to see? For recommendations, comment below and I'll consider including it in my next videos!
Attachments
script.rpy
(805 Bytes) Downloaded 88 times
engine.rpy
(4.79 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
dictionaries.rpy
(481 Bytes) Downloaded 89 times

Enchant00
Regular

Re: [Tutorial] Using Ren'Py SpriteManager for Complex Systems (Beginner-Friendly)

#3 Post by Enchant00 »

This is amazing! I didn't even know you can use it that way. Thank you for the tutorial.

bonnie_641
Regular
Projects: Código C.O.C.I.N.A.
Deviantart: rubymoonlily

Re: [Tutorial] Using Ren'Py SpriteManager for Complex Systems (Beginner-Friendly)

#4 Post by bonnie_641 »

SypherZent wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm The goal of my tutorials will be to teach others how to create amazing games with Ren'Py, so that one day the world may see this engine's true potential.
Incredible! It really is an excellent tutorial.
Thank you very much for creating this interesting topic.

I'm learning to program and it's very difficult, but I'm still in the process of improving my game.
I would like, if possible, that the next tutorial is to create the interaction "Scenario-player" (collision detection and event creation - if the player is in coordinate (x,y), jump label).

Sorry for my English level.
I speak and write in Spanish. I use an English-Spanish translator to express myself in this forum. If I make any mistakes, please forgive me.
I try my best to give an answer according to your question. :wink:

SypherZent
Veteran

#5 Post by SypherZent »

Thanks for your comment Enchant00! I am happy the tutorials are helping. :)

And sure, bonnie_641! Right now there's no actual environment (no background/map).
So, I'll have to use X,Y coordinates like you mentioned.

To make it simple, I'll use some placeholder sprites in the next tutorial to show the X,Y coordinates.
And I'll have the placeholder sprites run the collision detection that will jump to a label in order to display text with Ren'Py.
I'll also include a way to show how to prevent the player from going off-screen with mouse controls.

So, I have 3 tasks for the next video. ^^

In the meantime, if you would like to strengthen your coding knowledge, I would highly recommend this 15-minute tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDa-Z5JzLYM
It's not mine, but it explains in-depth how Python classes work (since I use classes often in my videos).
This will help a lot in understanding coding in general, and the tutorial is very easy and straightforward. ^^

And thank you for the feedback!

bonnie_641
Regular

#6 Post by bonnie_641 »

Thank you very much for answering.
I'll wait for you to upload more videos (especially events by coordinates and collisions) :D
I speak and write in Spanish. I use an English-Spanish translator to express myself in this forum. If I make any mistakes, please forgive me.

bonnie_641
Regular

#7 Post by bonnie_641 »

SypherZent wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:42 pm In the meantime, if you would like to strengthen your coding knowledge, I would highly recommend this 15-minute tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDa-Z5JzLYM
It's not mine, but it explains in-depth how Python classes work (since I use classes often in my videos).
This will help a lot in understanding coding in general, and the tutorial is very easy and straightforward. ^^

And thank you for the feedback!
Thanks to you for sharing. I will see the Python tutorial (if I didn't answer before it was because I had no access to the internet and finally today they restored the service).

SypherZent
Veteran

#8 Post by SypherZent »

Hi bonnie! Glad to hear your internet is back. :)

And no worries. It will be a few more weeks before next tutorial is ready.
I have some other work to finish up for some clients. So, possibly mid-to-late August.

I'll post here again once the next video is ready, and I'll include the content that I mentioned in my last comment. ^^

Edit: Next tutorial will have to be a bit later than mid-to-late August.
I'm swamped with work currently, but I will try to post next video in September/October.

Edit: Sorry, my situation changed back then and I had to stop these tutorials. Hopefully the ones I shared will still be helpful to some people out there, so I left them up.