0GUI

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

0GUI

#1 Post by Kia »

0GUI is a simplified version of Ren'Py interface for GUI designers. it is intended for more advanced developers whom know how to modify screens and want to generate a completely customized game interface, 0GUI gives you the most stripped down version of interface to start with and from there you can build up your own design.

It does look good enough out of the box to be used as a replacement for the current GUI and with the amount of customization that can be applied to it without touching any screen, it can also be used by beginners as well.
screenshot0003.jpg
screenshot0004.jpg

You can read more about it here, and download it from the same place:
https://github.com/Kiaazad/0GUI

0GUIM - mobile version of 0GUI optimized for touch (coming soon):
https://github.com/Kiaazad/0GUIM

0GUI adds - Additional screens that can be added to the game by copying the file:
https://github.com/Kiaazad/0GUI-Adds

0GUI dev tools - the developer tools to assist you in development process:
https://github.com/Kiaazad/0GUI-dev-tools

Right now the everything is a jumbled mess, some of the code need to be optimized and some need documentation. hopefully I can find enough time for these small touches, but don't hesitate to suggest anything that you think might help.
Last edited by Kia on Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: 0GUI

#2 Post by PyTom »

I like this, as it's an example of what can be done to customize Ren'Py - the whole point of the new GUI system was that it can be easily removed by creators who want to replace it.

One suggestion: Could you rename 00 Style.rpy to something else? Files that start with 00 (and those that sort before them) are reserved for the Ren'Py common library. So you might have problems if the future if I refactor the Ren'Py common files. That probably won't happen, but better safe than sorry.

Also, you linked 0GUI-Adds twice, and seem to have missed out on:
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Andredron »

Kia wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 pm 0GUI is a simplified version of Ren'Py interface for GUI designers.......
Not enough choice of languages to add, and censorship. Beautifully done

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Kia »

PyTom wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:10 pmOne suggestion: Could you rename 00 Style.rpy to something else?
sure, I'll start them from 01, and fixed the link. thank you, I'm sure I missed lots of things with my sloppy late night upload. ^^
hopefully I can find a way to add this interface as an alternative choice to the launcher. but I'm afraid that's way over my head for the time being.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#5 Post by isobellesophia »

Kia wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 pm 0GUI is a simplified version of Ren'Py interface for GUI designers. it is intended for more advanced developers whom know how to modify screens and want to generate a completely customized game interface, 0GUI gives you the most stripped down version of interface to start with and from there you can build up your own design.

It does look good enough out of the box to be used as a replacement for the current GUI and with the amount of customization that can be applied to it without touching any screen, it can also be used by beginners as well.
screenshot0003.jpg
screenshot0004.jpg

You can read more about it here, and download it from the same place:
https://github.com/Kiaazad/0GUI

0GUIM - mobile version of 0GUI optimized for touch (coming soon):
https://github.com/Kiaazad/0GUIM

0GUI adds - Additional screens that can be added to the game by copying the file:
https://github.com/Kiaazad/0GUI-Adds

0GUI dev tools - the developer tools to assist you in development process:

Right now the everything is a jumbled mess, some of the code need to be optimized and some need documentation. hopefully I can find enough time for these small touches, but don't hesitate to suggest anything that you think might help.

This is pretty good! But i had one question... do i had to delete screens.rpy to replace this one?
How can i exactly to place this if screens.rpy is active? It may doublizes the menu or the preferences... :?
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kia »

isobellesophia wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 amThis is pretty good! But i had one question... do i had to delete screens.rpy to replace this one?
How can i exactly to place this if screens.rpy is active? It may doublizes the menu or the preferences... :?
yes, since there is a copy of all default screens in 0GUI you don't need the screens.rpy anymore.
if you have added a new screen to that file, you can remove the lines that are not your new screen instead.
it's better to only add 0GUI to new projects if you're less experienced with renpy programming.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)

#7 Post by isobellesophia »

Kia wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:48 am
isobellesophia wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 amThis is pretty good! But i had one question... do i had to delete screens.rpy to replace this one?
yes, since there is a copy of all default screens in 0GUI you don't need the screens.rpy anymore.
if you have added a new screen to that file, you can remove the lines that are not your new screen instead.
it's better to only add 0GUI to new projects if you're less experienced with renpy programming.
Okay thank you! I just worried about one thing if they will had some errors or such when first time using the script...

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by isobellesophia »

Hello, i had a error for the History one...

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/History.rpy", line 1, in script
    init -99 python:
  File "game/History.rpy", line 2, in <module>
    menuz.insert(find_in_nested_list(menuz, "Save")[0], [1,0,0,1,_("History"),ShowMenu("history")])
NameError: name 'find_in_nested_list' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/History.rpy", line 1, in script
    init -99 python:
  File "G:\SECRET\Renpy\renpy\ast.py", line 912, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "G:\SECRET\Renpy\renpy\python.py", line 2004, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/History.rpy", line 2, in <module>
    menuz.insert(find_in_nested_list(menuz, "Save")[0], [1,0,0,1,_("History"),ShowMenu("history")])
NameError: name 'find_in_nested_list' is not defined

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 7.3.2.320

Mon Aug 12 14:35:00 2019

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Kia »

isobellesophia wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:36 amHello, i had a error for the History one...
I knew I've forgot something, replace this file in "game/0GUI/conf" and it should fix the problem
list tools.rpy
(262 Bytes) Downloaded 57 times
I've replaced it on github as well

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by isobellesophia »

Kia wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:30 am
isobellesophia wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:36 amHello, i had a error for the History one...
I knew I've forgot something, replace this file in "game/0GUI/conf" and it should fix the problem
list tools.rpy

Thank you! I will try once i already done with my dialogue scripting.. :D

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by isobellesophia »

Kia wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:30 am
list tools.rpy

Hello Kia! When i used your 0GUI.. and when i after choosing or enter my name, my character moves up a little bit and the bottom of my character sprites leaves a empty space. I want to fix it though :(

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Kia »

isobellesophia wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:46 am Hello Kia! When i used your 0GUI.. and when i after choosing or enter my name, my character moves up a little bit and the bottom of my character sprites leaves a empty space. I want to fix it though :(
unfortunately this is the one bug I haven't found a way to fix yet, till I can find a fix for it, you'll have to specify center when showing a character. instead of:

show elen
you'll have to write:

show elen at center

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by isobellesophia »

Kia wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:31 am
isobellesophia wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:46 am Hello Kia! When i used your 0GUI.. and when i after choosing or enter my name, my character moves up a little bit and the bottom of my character sprites leaves a empty space. I want to fix it though :(
unfortunately this is the one bug I haven't found a way to fix yet, till I can find a fix for it, you'll have to specify center when showing a character. instead of:

show elen
you'll have to write:

show elen at center

Oh okay thanks! But it is going to be fine when i used

show elen at center with dissolve
?

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Kia »

isobellesophia wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:59 am Oh okay thanks! But it is going to be fine when i used

show elen at center with dissolve
?
yes

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Kia »

Finally got around to fix the errors, now the added screens don't cause errors even if they are added without the 0GUI itself.
And the dev tools don't require 0GUI anymore and work on it's own.
Next is overhauling the gallery and adding it back.