RPG Battle System/Other Misc Features

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Dragonaqua

RPG Battle System/Other Misc Features

#1 Post by Dragonaqua »

Hi all,
I've had an RPG like battle system lying around for a bit. This has been written a while back and could most def use an upgrade to the newest renpy version. There has been some interest expressed on it so I've decided to upload the initial version for people to look at, reference, modify, use, etc.

It all works on the most recent renpy just that a lot of coding could be updated to the newest screen calls and syntax.

Features:

- RPG Maker style Battle system
- RPG Stats that influence the actual combat
- RPG type skills (without animation...) - using both MP and HP as resources, AOE, Single Targer and Healing Skills included
- A basic general store system
- Inventory management
- Super basic Map Exploration
- A very odd negotiating system with monsters during combat that should be...ignored for now XD (or feel free to look at what I initially implemented and try using it if you really want to :mrgreen: )

Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sgw2Yk ... sp=sharing

Some screenshots:
screenshot0011.png
screenshot0012.png
screenshot0013.png
screenshot0014.png
Credits:
Sprites by Elze from here - viewtopic.php?f=52&t=28377
GUI design and all the screens are made by me, feel free to credit me if you decide to use those...they're not that great TwT

For the code, it's all CC, free, edit as you like. Credit me as "Dragonaqua on Lemmasoft" and maybe a link back to this post if you feel like it XD?

Future TODOs:
- documentation for the battle system (most important priority)
- cleaning up all those misc screens...as i slowly get around to them....

(You can probably guess my old one I shared previously base on the monster sprites from years back on my old account)
I'll definitely try to improve and clean things up more during my spare time and feel free to ask questions, make comments, or your own improvements to the code and share them with me!
I am also on Renpy's main discord, my discord ID's MistySnow##7449

Hope this was useful, thanks for reading!
Part time VN developer, full time programmer, sometimes artist, check out my new game~
Sortition [GxB][Psychological][Mystery][Work in Progress]
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=57101

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

Re: RPG Battle System/Other Misc Features

#2 Post by verysunshine »

This is an extremely cool demo. I love it.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

thomas_oak

#3 Post by thomas_oak »

Thank you so much for this Dragonaqua. I have been playing with this for most of the last three days and have reworked it for my own game.(and learnt a lot along the way) Adding my own ui and adding things like stamina for melee combat has been a fun challenge. My next challenge will be to add some randomness to the player attacks and then, if I am feeling brave, I want to try to get some simple animations on hits. That should keep me busy for a while.

Many thanks again for posting your file. :D

Dragonaqua

#4 Post by Dragonaqua »

verysunshine wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:59 pm This is an extremely cool demo. I love it.
Thank you!

thomas_oak wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 pm Thank you so much for this Dragonaqua. I have been playing with this for most of the last three days and have reworked it for my own game.(and learnt a lot along the way) Adding my own ui and adding things like stamina for melee combat has been a fun challenge. My next challenge will be to add some randomness to the player attacks and then, if I am feeling brave, I want to try to get some simple animations on hits. That should keep me busy for a while.

Many thanks again for posting your file. :D
Oh wow, that's great! Sounds like you've been having a lot of fun! (even though I haven't had time to put together documentation and convert it to newest renpy, etc yet >_<)
I did avoid adding any animation back when I was creating this but i tried to make it so that adding animations to each skill isn't too much of a pain (believe just some extra code before the actual attacking). Let me know if you have any questions and no problem, glad you found it useful!
Part time VN developer, full time programmer, sometimes artist, check out my new game~

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#5 Post by isobellesophia »

Wow, RPG maker to RenPy is a useful thing to do, thanks for sharing this, since RPG maker is hard for me, at least it is the same code as RenPy!

Thanks for your hard work.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Dragonaqua

#6 Post by Dragonaqua »

isobellesophia wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:13 am Wow, RPG maker to RenPy is a useful thing to do, thanks for sharing this, since RPG maker is hard for me, at least it is the same code as RenPy!

Thanks for your hard work.
Thank you! Hopefully this makes it easier to understand than RPG maker! \o/

ichimonji-enma

#7 Post by ichimonji-enma »

Hey all! I'm a total noob at python and I'm wondering how i would set up random encounters through the map you have created? I've heard that Ren'py is not designed to call entire scripts, but instead "labels" within scripts, im trying to implement some code so that every transition to a different part of the academy as a chance of loading the battle that happens at the very start. (And eventually a battle with a random assortment of enemies)