Dynamic Text Bleeps/Animalese/Phonemes

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
CoolerMudkip
Regular
Completed: Memories~ Megami no hogo-sha [Demo]
Projects: Northward
Tumblr: CoolerMudkip
Github: ztc0611
itch: MorallyGay
Discord: MorallyGay#5861

Dynamic Text Bleeps/Animalese/Phonemes

#1 Post by CoolerMudkip »

In Animal Crossing, the text bleeps are generated based on the text being displayed on the screen instead of completely randomly. This code ports a similar system into Ren'py, originally designed to emulate Animalese as seen in the original video created by henryishuman: https://youtu.be/IKMjg2fEGgE

I modified it to run in Ren'py instead of the python console of the original version, and now it can automatically generate Animalese-like sounds with no extra programming effort required besides including the code in your Ren'py Project. You can also create multiple voicebanks for different characters if desired. Unfortunately the quality had to be slightly downgraded in order to avoid causing lag, but besides that the system is incredibly similar to the original.

Quick Example Video: https://youtu.be/01AvNE7IPVI
Download Link (can be imported into your own projects): https://github.com/CoolerMudkip/Ren-py-Animalese

Instructions are included on the github and the code is all commented. If you have any pressing questions, message me on discord. Enjoy!
Last edited by CoolerMudkip on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonnie_641
Regular
Projects: Código C.O.C.I.N.A.
Deviantart: rubymoonlily

Re: Dynamic Text Bleeps/Animalese/Phonemes

#2 Post by bonnie_641 »

Thank you so much :D
I speak and write in Spanish. I use an English-Spanish translator to express myself in this forum. If I make any mistakes, please forgive me.
I try my best to give an answer according to your question. :wink:

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#3 Post by plaster »

Yay! I've always wanted something like this!

CoolerMudkip
Regular
Completed: Memories~ Megami no hogo-sha [Demo]
Projects: Northward
Tumblr: CoolerMudkip
Github: ztc0611
itch: MorallyGay
Discord: MorallyGay#5861

#4 Post by CoolerMudkip »

In its initial form, an oversight in this code broke Ren'py's skip functionality. This has now been corrected on the Github download. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused! :(

bonnie_641
Regular
Projects: Código C.O.C.I.N.A.
Deviantart: rubymoonlily

#5 Post by bonnie_641 »

I tried the animal language in my project and it was great, because I could hear my voice like an Animal Crossing character XD
But I don't know if you can help me with this detail: In my code, I customized the speed at which my character speaks, however, since he has different speeds I don't know how to adjust the timings to match the audio and text speed.

Edit: I found the solution.
in the speak.rpy file you have to edit the following:

Code: Select all

def change_playback_speed(sound, speed_change):
        #export = sound.speedup(6.0, 200, 30) <------ DELETE THIS
        export = sound.speedup(4.0, 168, 0)  #<--------- Write this
        return export
#---------------------------------------------

Another detail... In determining the silences (with suspension points -> ... ... ... ... , the following error appears:
Edit: I found the solution. Extend the duration of the suspension points.

#--------------------------------------------------

PD: I translated this message with Deepl from Spanish to English (sorry if I didn't make myself understood correctly).
I speak and write in Spanish. I use an English-Spanish translator to express myself in this forum. If I make any mistakes, please forgive me.
I try my best to give an answer according to your question. :wink: