Articy:draft converter for RenPy

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
TheSchnappi

Articy:draft converter for RenPy

#1 Post by TheSchnappi »

Hello there,

last May I finally played Disco Elysium and was blown away by their dialoge choices. I tried to figure out how they created these dialoges because it was obvious that they had to use a tool for managing this level of dialogue tree complexity... and so I found out that they used a commercial program called articy:draft for creating these complex dialogue choices.
I used their demo and realized that it had potential but of course it had no exporter to Ren'Py. Now, before buying the software I wanted to make sure that I could use it for RenPy and, as a proof of concept, I took a weekend and tried to make a simple articy:draft converter. While the XML export of articy proved to be difficult I finally got my first text dialogue exported thanks to their JSON export.

This converter takes an exported articy:draft 3 JSON file and converts it into Ren'Py rpy-files.
The focus of this converter is to create and export branching dialogues, therefore it is not a fully feature complete converter.
The script implements as much as needed for this task, but skips over other features for this reason (for example locations, assets, most of the non-dialogue specific entities etc.)

For better versioning I reworked parts of the converter and put it with the Readme part of this post on GitHub:
https://github.com/TheSchnappi/articy2renpy

Changelog:
  • 2020-09-29: First Release - Now supports FlowFragments and end labels of FlowFragments and Dialogues are only appended in a seperate file, if they don't already exist.
  • 2020-09-23: Code rework and as a new feature the converter now is able to convert and connect nested Dialogue flows. Also it logs onto the console... currently extensively...
  • 2020-08-25: Initial Release
Last edited by TheSchnappi on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TheSchnappi

Re: Articy:draft converter for RenPy

#2 Post by TheSchnappi »

Hey there,

I am not sure how many people here are using Articy:Draft but if some people do, I would be really interested in feedback and would like to make this script more robust in the long run.
Maybe if there is something that is preventing you from using it that can be fixed or if there is something you would like to see for this script to make it better integrate into your work.

Hseo
Regular
Completed: High School Life:HSL
Deviantart: greeeed

#3 Post by Hseo »

Have it but still new to it.
Watching YouTube (Horrors!) tutorial to learn how to used it since it is easier to write multi choice story with it.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4 Post by Morhighan »

Thank you for making and posting this