BEST of Cookbook (working)

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
gas
Miko-Class Veteran

BEST of Cookbook (working)

#1 Post by gas »

FOR RENPY: 7.3

This is a non exaustive list of stuff you can surely implement on your games, tested to work on new releases and not "vaporware" ( == things that are nothing but docs examples or simple use of default renpy you can come on your own - or not even that).

If something's missing tell me!

They have been selected with such criteria:
  • Complete . most of the larger projects were discontinued for reasons. Entries here should totally work.
    Utility and wide use - "How to have the same DDLC effect" is not wide use.
    Compatibility - some old stuff doesn't work anymore.
    Actual efficiency - if they do what they promise without ANY bug attached
    Easy to implement - plug and play is better than plug and pray
Tutorials are excluded (in fact this forum should have parted the categories, but whatever...).

The list is subjective and prone to changes.

USABILITY RANK
Entries are ranked by STARS (*****) from 1 to 5, at 5 stars a visual novel always benefit of this snippet whatever the case, at 1 star you'll benefit of it only on rare, given circumstances .

THE LIST
***** KINETIC TAGS
To have text animation in your dialogue boxes (working on buttons too! Nice!). Now your dialogues can compete with Konami ones. Pro.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60527

* ANIMATED BATTLE
So far the only free and actually good RPG battle system - require a bit of work to abstract the thing, but the others pale by comparison (or ask for fees, that's ATROCIOUS due the relative substance of the code - this is not RPGMaker were people get milked even for an Hello World code!).
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=59747

* PINK ENGINE FOR RPG
While complicate to use, the only efficient JRPG map explorer with actual meaning.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=59039

** SCREEN LANGUAGE MINIGAMES
A classic from the cookbook, minigames that work fine and easy to implement/modify.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=18047

*** (pytom) TIMED CHOICES MENU
Directly from PyTom, the most conventional implementation of a timed menu. Never played LoveHina or CherryJam? That thing.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/11310470

**** (pytom) SHUFFLED CHOICES
Not only that, but a great indepth on how your choices can be done much better.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/shuffling-choice-13572006

*** (pytom) GLOSSARY
Again from PyTom, the most conventional (and so bug free) system to integrate an encyclopedia/glossary of extra terms in your game.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/wiki-like-or-14064929

** DATING SIM ENGINE
This entry is in fact more than it seems: it's made of different modules you can integrate at will, like a stat manager, an event dispatcher on conditions and a time manager.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=31571

**** INTEGRATING DISCORD RICH PRESENT
Not from the Cookbook, but quoted here as a reply, this snippet allow you to make your game figure out in discord conversations more proficiently.
https://arianeb.com/2019/07/19/adding-d ... npy-games/

*** INGAME MESSAGES (LIKE EMAIL, SMS...)
Did you ever played Stein;Gates? Anyway, you have asynchronous messages from characters. Good to expand the game on a vertical direction.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19295

** INVENTORY SYSTEM
Again from Saguaro like the one above, the most famous inventory system you can use to collect, use, combine and manipulate objects in the game
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=25579

** POPULATE CLASSES WITH XML
While a bit technical, this script allow you to use an XML editor to insert A LOT of data, and then convert it to normal python objects. It's VERY VERY helpfull if you work on large games with many objects.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=49064

*** NOTEPAD++ EXTENSION
To use Notepad ++ with a (limited but working) Renpy lexer.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=24091

*** PATH MOTION
This often missed snippet allow for you to create non linear paths for animations more easily, it's so good that secretly Pytom ship integration for it with every release of renpy!
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3977

**** TOTAL TIME SPENT INGAME
Believe me or not, this elegant snippet solve a problem we had for ages: show the TOTAL true time someone spent with the product (like in JRPG)
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60644

(NOTE: despite there will be A LOT of gallery snippets, no one actually do the real job, they usually require for you to mangle with the code to the point using default gallery system is always better!).
Last edited by gas on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

XT9K

Re: BEST of Cookbook (working)

#2 Post by XT9K »

Looks pretty nice. Thanks for making this. Also, I believe the button issue with mine is mostly worked out. Someone posted a good workaround that doesn't require modifying Ren'py's internals. So think it should be useful just about wherever.

_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by _ticlock_ »

What a nice selection. Thank you!

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gas »

XT9K wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:17 pm Looks pretty nice. Thanks for making this. Also, I believe the button issue with mine is mostly worked out. Someone posted a good workaround that doesn't require modifying Ren'py's internals. So think it should be useful just about wherever.
Updated, thank you.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

RicharDann
Veteran

#5 Post by RicharDann »

gas wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:12 am FOR RENPY: 7.3
This is a good initiative. Sometimes it's hard to tell how something really works without a demo or pictures, or if it will work at all, specially for older recipes that might have become incompatible with new versions of Ren'Py. I was wary of the Dating Sim Engine, but as it turns out it's still very useful.
Thank you for the effort.
The most important step is always the next one.

Habitacle

#6 Post by Habitacle »

Great selection, thanks for including mine!

_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by _ticlock_ »

gas wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:12 am *** PATH MOTION
This often missed snippet allow for you to create non linear paths for animations more easily, it's so good that secretly Pytom ship integration for it with every release of renpy!
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3977
Hi, gas,

The code in the provided link lacks code format (no indentation) and has several mistakes. The working version of the code can be found in the post.

Edit:
I believe something happened to the original post of Aenakume. I restored the code based on another post and put it in the Path motion post.