RADC - Ren'Py Asset Download Complement

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

RADC - Ren'Py Asset Download Complement

#1 Post by Andredron »

https://github.com/CharlieFuu69/RenPy_A ... Complement

Hello! I present to you RADC, an In-Game download plugin that you can integrate into games developed with the "Ren'Py" engine.

What is RDC used for?
RADC is a plugin that makes it easy for your game to download content from a server. You can use it so that your game downloads different types of files to the disc, so that the player (or the game itself) can use them after downloading. An example of RADC implementation in your game could be to download DLCs.

This plugin is based on the module wget(made in Python), which you can find here on PyPI . ( https://pypi.org/project/wget/ )

What's so good about RADC?
RADC can display download progress visually in your game, displaying a progress bar, indicating the downloaded size/total download size (in Megabytes), and the percentage downloaded in total (see the Screenshots below for more information). get the idea). It can download a file stored on a server, and it also has compatibility to download files from Mediafire in case you don't have a paid server. Simply provide the URL of the file to download, RADC will take care of the rest!

And how about compatibility between operating systems?
This plugin has been successfully tested on Windows and Android. For reasons of intense I/O activity, in Android versions there may be "lag" during the download of some file, but the download itself is not affected in any way.

How to add the RADC plugin to a Ren'Py project:
Step 1:RADC_v1.1a.zip Download this release file to your computer.
Step 2: Extract the and folders radc, python-packagesand place these folders inside gameyour project folder.
Step 3: Start using RADC in your project! The file script.rpycontains an example so you can run downloads.
ic_warningI highly recommend reading the RADC Documentation . It contains usage instructions with code snippets included and information about the classes, methods and screens you can use from RADC.

Remember! This plugin is still under testing, so it may have bugs. If you found a bug, report it in the repository or contact me on Telegram @CharlieFuu69

License of this plugin :
CC BY-SA 4.0 CC BY-SA 4.0

This plugin is protected under the "Codigos_RenPy" repository license , that is, the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License . You have permission to modify the plugin and share it, with the only condition that you attribute the original content to me :3

WGET:
Public domain by anatoly techtonik techtonik@gmail.com Also available under the terms of MIT license Copyright (c) 2010-2015 anatoly techtonik

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: RADC - Ren'Py Asset Download Complement

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

If only I had seen this literally last week.
I'll be giving this a try, might be easier to implement for my use than what I'm currently using (renpy news)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

jesusalva
Regular
Organization: Software in Public Interest, Inc.
IRC Nick: jesusalva
Github: pazkero
itch: tmw2
Discord: Jesusalva#4449

#3 Post by jesusalva »

Andredron wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:04 pm License of this plugin :

This plugin is protected under the "Codigos_RenPy" repository license , that is, the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License . You have permission to modify the plugin and share it, with the only condition that you attribute the original content to me :3
CC BY-SA imposes two major conditions:
  • Credit the author
  • Share under CC-BY-SA or a compatible license (e.g. GPLv3)
However you said the only condition is attribution to you. Should we understand that you are dual licensing it under BY 4.0 (non revocable), that you are making a revocable exception to ignore the share-alike clause, or should we use it under BY-SA 4.0?
Jesusaves/Jesusalva

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Andredron »

jesusalva wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:04 pm
Andredron wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:04 pm License of this plugin :

CC BY-SA imposes two major conditions:
  • Credit the author
  • Share under CC-BY-SA or a compatible license (e.g. GPLv3)
However you said the only condition is attribution to you. Should we understand that you are dual licensing it under BY 4.0 (non revocable), that you are making a revocable exception to ignore the share-alike clause, or should we use it under BY-SA 4.0?
You don't need to specify me anywhere, :D

I translated the entire text into English verbatim there, all explanations are in github