[CC by-NC] Fantasy backgrounds

This section is for people to post assets that people can use in their games. Everything here should have a creative commons or other open license, or be in the public domain.
Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

[CC by-NC] Fantasy backgrounds

#1 Post by Geckos »

These are some images from an experiment that I did awhile back. I never ended up using any of them.
All of these are a compilation/photomanipulation of images from morguefile.com with some hand painting to make them seem like a set.

You are welcome to use these for any personal projects, but not commercially.

Please let me know if you do end up using them! I am quite curious to see what they stories they might acquire.

There is a fountain with lillypads and bricks, flowers and bushes. A bedroom that is overgrown with a vine; it has a bedstand, a bunch of pillows and some candles that come alight during the night version. The courtyard has some benches and green trees/grass. The gate image has a small river/waterfall and nice architecture. The stairwell is smooth, clean, bright and made of marble.
Attachments
The Fountain
The Fountain
The Gate
The Gate
Stairwell
Stairwell
Courtyard
Courtyard
Bedroom - Night
Bedroom - Night
Bedroom - day
Bedroom - day
Image ImageImage

Midi
Regular
Projects: Limerick Castle

Re: [CC by-NC] Fantasy backgrounds

#2 Post by Midi »

All they really look like is photos outlined a bit, in my opinion.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

Geckos wrote: All of these are a compilation/photomanipulation of images from morguefile.com with some hand painting to make them seem like a set.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck

#4 Post by Geckos »

Midi wrote:All they really look like is photos outlined a bit, in my opinion.

The fountain was only partially visible, and partially obstructed by trees. I duplicated it to make it whole, painted it to fit, and did the same to the bricks to have it even on both sides and pleasant on the eyes. The water was not blue, nor did it have lillypads or reflections as bright as it has now.

The gate had a bunch of people in it, too bright lighting, no trees/waterfalls/vines or the river bit. It also had neither the rocky mountain bits, nor did it have half of the stone decorations on the side near the water.

The stairs have the least editing, with the window placed, lighting adjusted from deep yellow and outline/white overlayed to make them part of a group.

The image of the benches had no trees/grass, but ended as a cut-off building. I put the trees in there for depth, added the one by the window to make the image feel more like a whole, and cleaned up the benches/painted for them a bit and of course stylized them. I also painted a large portion of the rock plates on the ground.

The bedroom had no window/plants in it. I painted the lighting, overlayed a texture to make the bed look prettier, painted over the nightstand since the quality of the image was low, added the vines and cleaned off the lamp/etc from the bed post. The candles were added last, and of course the outlines/ final light effects were added.

But it's good to know you can't tell :P
Image ImageImage

Midi
Regular
Projects: Limerick Castle

#5 Post by Midi »

fleet wrote:
Geckos wrote: All of these are a compilation/photomanipulation of images from morguefile.com with some hand painting to make them seem like a set.
I knew they were manipulated = w = I couldn't tell by how much.

But I do like the bed a lot.

Bellalea

#6 Post by Bellalea »

Yay, thanx for these! ^^

Do you allow me to edit the images a bit, like changing colors, nothing major?

Geckos
Veteran

#7 Post by Geckos »

Bellalea wrote:Yay, thanx for these! ^^

Do you allow me to edit the images a bit, like changing colors, nothing major?
Yea sure, do whatever you want :)
Image ImageImage

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#8 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Necro's softly Really liked these when I first saw them and hope to use them soon. Thank you!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

#9 Post by chocoberrie »

These backgrounds are so pretty! Would you mind sharing how you manipulated the original photos? I love the textures and sharpness and whatnot. Thank you! ^_^

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

#10 Post by Broodelin »

These backgrounds look really awesome. I might just have to use them on my next project. :mrgreen:

Thank you!