█████▓▒░ UNCLE MUGEN'S FREE VN (OELVN) RESOURCES ░▒▓█████

This section is for people to post assets that people can use in their games. Everything here should have a creative commons or other open license, or be in the public domain.
unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

Re: Uncle Mugen's FREE resources

#151 Post by unknown5 »

mugenjohncel wrote: In other news... Thanks to a video uploaded by "Deekay" on youtube... I think I finally nailed what makes a Japanese Visual Novel BG look good...
What do you say?... You may place your comments, suggestion and complaints below so I can see them and use them to improve the quality of UNCLE MUGEN's free BG's... I will be waiting warmly...

"POOF" (Disappears)
crosswalk patterns and uneven/rolling terrain?
hideaki anno power line fetish. :lol:
information wants to be free, yo.

Rye
Regular
Projects: : MAlice :

#152 Post by Rye »

mugenjohncel wrote:
room.jpg
Another BG we have here is some messy and disorganized room... same thing as above... it uses an older renderer and technique so not as good now but still usable... :mrgreen:
(Disappears)
You're on the case at the right with the figures, am I right?

Thank you for your background, Uncle Mugen.
Can I ask you for something? Please Pwease Pwease Pwease?
I'm hiatus from everything for exam... Slow pace on projects. I need to write and draw..
"I'm wearing your granddad's clothes. I look incredible." - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#153 Post by mugenjohncel »

OK Kirroha... here's your BG
lonely_building.jpg
Yes... I'll admit... that VN screenshot I got from DeeKay's video did influence the color correction on this image... :mrgreen:
Rye wrote:Can I ask you for something? Please Pwease Pwease Pwease?
OK... Uncle Mugen is listening...

"POOF" (Disappears)
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeKay
Veteran

#154 Post by DeeKay »

And that seems to work nicely in this case :)
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#155 Post by CheeryMoya »

I've added this thread to the Pre-Made Backgrounds page under a CC BY 3.0 license, one day I'll spend a few minutes alphabetizing it.

Can I make a few requests? I'm wondering if you'll finish that Living Room omgitstay asked for. It'd also be great if you could make a few more angles of the American suburb, specifically one of the houses' front door/porch. It's kinda weird to write a character greeting another character at their door but still have the scene out in the middle of the street >_> I'm also still waiting for the DSE engine code that works with the newer versions of Ren'Py

Edit: Would you mind if I put a few of the BG sets into .zip folders and uploaded them to the EVN Wiki? That way people can just download that and not have to go to each file separately.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#156 Post by Coren »

Thank you so much Uncle Mugen! :') You didn't have to remake the whole thing haha. It's really pretty!

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#157 Post by Pyonkotchi »

woh i really like that color-corrected ver of the building
its nice and bright, hhhhhhhh

i noticed you got a lot of school backgrounds, but no backgrounds of a school /cafeteria/ up there, whats up with that /nudgewinknudge

/backflips into the sun

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#158 Post by mugenjohncel »

Recently, I've been having this... depressing feeling... that I may be close to maximizing what default sketchup can potentially do to achieve hand drawn looking backgrounds with minimal effort and post processing...
generic_school_gate.jpg
What you see here is basically a BG produced in Sketchup and Heavily post processed in Photoshop... this BG totally does not conform to my objective that is minimal effort and post processing... No! In fact this thing took nearly 2 hours of post processing... it's so labour intensive I might as well call it hand drawn... but it sure does look nice and somewhat close to my other objective that is hand drawn looking that is good enough for OELVN...

And no... No Blender... yet. I have received no less than three (3) emails asking me why am I not using Blender and why am I sticking with Sketchup. The thing is... this is a Layman's attempt at making beautiful BG's using Layman Friendly tools (that's actually the fun part) and Blender (despite being powerful and flexible) is not Layman friendly no matter how much you people insist... A layman who has never done any 3D work before can learn sketchup and even create things in an hour or two but I doubt the same layman can say the same about blender... but then again... I've already stretched out what default Sketchup can do so I'm in a sort of crossroads here...

Shall proceed with this whole Free BG thing using Blender and other no holds bar tools and reveal my actual true power level at the risk of alienating my layman fanbase or shall I stick with Sketchup and Photoshop 7 which will make my techniques more accessible to the layman but severely restricting what I can do... I... I don't know... what do you think?
You know what?... I'm sticking with Sketchup and Photoshop 7... Let's see how far I can stretch them... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)

Armee
Veteran

#159 Post by Armee »

Can I ask for a BG of an old time Korea house? Like for the noble one. Or may be this with 3 variations in the day? and bedroom
Please, Uncle Mugen?

Rye
Regular
Projects: : MAlice :

#160 Post by Rye »

mugenjohncel wrote: OK... Uncle Mugen is listening...
Uncle Mugen, can you make a forest cliff BG, like a deep cliff, enough to fall and not able to survive.
Thank you.
I'm hiatus from everything for exam... Slow pace on projects. I need to write and draw..
"I'm wearing your granddad's clothes. I look incredible." - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#161 Post by Samu-kun »

I'm REALLY looking forward to how Mr. Mugen fulfills those last requests... Especially since I can't think of a quick way to make them on Sketchup. :D

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#162 Post by mugenjohncel »

Samu-kun wrote:I'm REALLY looking forward to how Mr. Mugen fulfills those last requests... Especially since I can't think of a quick way to make them on Sketchup.
forest_cliff.jpg
Easy actually... just use the sandbox and paste a large texture of cliff in the side and fill it with trees... :mrgreen:

The Korean house and BG's on the other hand... :?

"POOF" (Disappears)

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#163 Post by Samu-kun »

My best guess is that you make one shale tile for the roof and just repeat it a lot.

Also, I bristle at the low resolution texture you used. And no bump mapping? :o

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#164 Post by mugenjohncel »

Samu-kun wrote:My best guess is that you make one shale tile for the roof and just repeat it a lot.
Nah, I have better idea... I'll just cheat a bit and use an "external" UV mapping program to texture the roof. The renderer can then handle the bump and other stuff... much more efficient than actually putting actual tiles up the roof and there won't be much of a difference in the output anyway...
Samu-kun wrote:Also, I bristle at the low resolution texture you used. And no bump mapping?
[INSERT LAME EXCUSE HERE DUE TO LAZINESS] :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'll make a better one later...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#165 Post by Samu-kun »

Hey Mugen... Why don't you show off your real skills and show us a background of a floating city? Like this: http://www.superbwallpapers.com/fantasy ... ity-16301/

Because, well, I like being evil. *watches eagerly* :D