█████▓▒░ UNCLE MUGEN'S FREE VN (OELVN) RESOURCES ░▒▓█████

This section is for people to post assets that people can use in their games. Everything here should have a creative commons or other open license, or be in the public domain.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Re: Uncle Mugen's FREE resources

#181 Post by mugenjohncel »

dnekolot wrote:Thanks! And also, if you have the time, may I contact you for opinions? Since you are already experienced in making VNs, can i ask for suggestions in adding scenes for our story? We already have a story(high school slice of life) and I really wanted to put Filipino traditions and culture(to increase appeal to the panel/judges) but my groupmates are much influenced by japanese VNs. They only wanted to put traditional events in Japan like cultural festivals and such. Even the school uniforms have long sleeves. Your opinions would be a great help to us. Thanks again!
Uh oh... now that might be a problem... the problem is... there really isn't much difference between a typical high school slice of life and a typical "filipino" high school slice of life... if I may be frank... the typical "filipino" high school slice of life is kind of boring and pales in comparison with the rest of the world. There is proms... but other countries have them too. School Fair?... Yep, other high schools from other country have them too. Clubs?... What clubs?... The typical filipino high school club pales in comparison to say your Japanese or even Vietnamese/Thailand contemporary... no seriously, I'm not kidding there. Uniforms?... Yuck! My uniform consist of a white T-Shirt and Levis Jeans back when I was in Highschool and it was only recently that they adapted proper uniforms for boys... good thing I already graduated long before it was enforced. I cannot even imagine myself wearing that awful uniform consisting of a neatly pressed polo shirt and some black pants... Girls uniforms especially public ones are meh to almost yuck... but then again, you'll have to consider that most parents of students attending a typical filipino public high school cannot afford that typical anime/japanese school uniform so screw fashion... :mrgreen:

Now before we go stray into juicy details of my highschool life where we routinely harass other people to show them who'se the boss, steal electricity so we can power up our boombox and blast away while smoking and occasionally drinking smuggled beer (no internet/smarphones back then... only Parokya ni Edgar) and throw plastic bags full of piss at other people for the kicks... long story short... a filipino high school slice of life will not earn you additional appeal to the panel/judges... remove the word filipino and all you'll have is some boring high school story whose students wearing cheap but functioning uniforms and a boring school calendar... and it goes beyond school... a typical modern filipino student is not much different from a student from a different country after school. The basic and perhaps fundamental problem here is the Filipino High School life is not uniquely filipino and is mostly modeled or dare I say pale imitations of its western counterparts. There is no unique filipino high school tradition...

Instead of forcibly inserting filipino traditions and culture which will most likely result in a not so good and fluid story... why not add interesting things that a typical filipino high school student is subjected to.... things like where students are forced requested to watch a particular play at the CCP complex or even the typical movie from the Metro Manila Film Festival like Shake Rattle and Roll 235 and Enteng Kabisote 57 because the assignment requires you to write a short synopsis about it. Or how about a Multi Generational thing like the typical public school textbook where every year the book is handed to a different student... how to make it more interesting?... Let's say student 1 was handed a fresh new textbook and added some scribbles and doodles in it with his contact details or a simple "JOHAN SY WAS HERE!". The next student who inherits the book sees the scribbles and added his own scribbles in it and the tradition goes on and on until something interesting happens... I dunno... :mrgreen: You may even take advantage of the fact that the typical filipino high school class can be as high as 60 people... you can do so many things behind the scenes.

Now that I have said this much... I suggest if you really insist on making things Filipino then go with the Typical Japanese High School Setting and once everything is completed, you can then replace the identifiably Japanese Elements with Filipino Elements... The group of friends love to hang around the typical Japanese convenience store?... Replace Convenience store with Sari-Sari store or even Tapsilogan. Ride a train/bus home?... Replace train/bus with lrt/mrt/Jeepney/tricycle. School Festival?... Replace it with School Fair (which is not much that different anyway)... School Trip?... Go watch Eat Bulaga (see image below) :mrgreen:

You get my drift now?... :mrgreen:

Oh and try not to go grand and large... just focus on a small story and plan everything especially the story in advance before committing to creating resources like graphics, coding and others...

And now for an UNCLE MUGEN words of wisdom...

For every problem, there is solution... You do not tackle the problem head on, that is stupid... No-no... you go around it and sexually harass it from behind... if a solution seems impossible then improvise, cheat, imitate, steal and if possible improve (nah... forget that last one :lol: )... method and details not important... it's the result that counts...

"POOF" (Disappears)

dnekolot

#182 Post by dnekolot »

mugenjohncel wrote: Now that I have said this much... I suggest if you really insist on making things Filipino then go with the Typical Japanese High School Setting and once everything is completed, you can then replace the identifiably Japanese Elements with Filipino Elements... The group of friends love to hang around the typical Japanese convenience store?... Replace Convenience store with Sari-Sari store or even Tapsilogan. Ride a train/bus home?... Replace train/bus with lrt/mrt/Jeepney/tricycle. School Festival?... Replace it with School Fair (which is not much that different anyway)... School Trip?... Go watch Eat Bulaga (see image below) :mrgreen:
Our story is just like what you would see in a typical vn. I just wanted to add random scenes like those you mentioned, to at least make the judges believe that what we are doing is really Filipino-themed.(Cause no matter how hard I think, I just can't think of any unique and positive events here in our country :| )
mugenjohncel wrote: Now before we go stray into juicy details of my highschool life where we routinely harass other people to show them who'se the boss, steal electricity so we can power up our boombox and blast away while smoking and occasionally drinking smuggled beer (no internet/smarphones back then... only Parokya ni Edgar) and throw plastic bags full of piss at other people for the kicks...
Hell yeah! These are awesome! These can be used for the badass characters :mrgreen:
mugenjohncel wrote: Oh and try not to go grand and large... just focus on a small story and plan everything especially the story in advance before committing to creating resources like graphics, coding and others...

And now for an UNCLE MUGEN words of wisdom...

For every problem, there is solution... You do not tackle the problem head on, that is stupid... No-no... you go around it and sexually harass it from behind... if a solution seems impossible then improvise, cheat, imitate, steal and if possible improve (nah... forget that last one )... method and details not important... it's the result that counts...
Thanks! You really helped me to look at things in a different perspective. I'll be sure to remember what you said :D

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#183 Post by curry nochi rice »

mugenjohncel wrote:
curry nochi rice wrote:Uncle, can you do sunset/evening versions of that america suburb BG?
someplace_usa_day.jpg
OK here's "Part" of your request... unfortunately, I only managed to slip 1 background in the render query (sorry, totally my fault)... It's kinda late here and I still need my beauty sleep because UNCLE MUGEN being handsome is a must... I'll post the rest tomorrow :mrgreen: ...

Edit: Here is the rest...
someplace_usa_afternoon.jpg
someplace_usa_night.jpg
"POOF" (Disappears)
Worry not about the request Uncle Mugen, because I love you <3
>.<
and oh, can I request an BG-CG of a canteen? , preferably with an evening version. (that if i'm not asking too much from you)
Last edited by curry nochi rice on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

ktalkimist
Veteran

#184 Post by ktalkimist »

Wow, there's a bunch of Pinoys in here. Represent!

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#185 Post by mugenjohncel »

Yes I know there is something wrong with this render and it was too late when I caught it so I decided to heavily post process it to make it somewhat acceptable and dump it here for everyone... FREE BG!...
applegate school gate 3 entrance.jpg
In case you're wondering what the error is... actually there are 2 of them... One, I accidentally rendered the version with duplicate placeholder trees and Two, I set Global Illumination a we-little-bit too high so I have to post process heavily to make this BG usable and save it from the Recycle Bin... oh and, the sky is just a bunch of Photoshop brushes... :mrgreen:

Same terms as previous BG's... OK to edit... use it for whatever purpose it may serve you best... even on non OELVN (EVN) purposes :)

"POOF" (Disappears)

RavenBelmont
Regular

#186 Post by RavenBelmont »

You, good sir, deserve a medal for sharing this. I was looking all over the internet for backgrounds like these, I am happy to say that my quest has finally come to an end now that I found this treasure you're sharing with all of us.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm off to start my very first project.

Thank you.

Blastitall
Projects: "With One Choice"- current project
Organization: Blast-it-All Studios

#187 Post by Blastitall »

Dearest Uncle Mugen,

My sister and I are working on a BxB story and need a background depicting a poorly lit alleyway. This is for a scene with a mugging. Would you be willing with this? It can be your typical intercity alleyway.

Thank you ever so much.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#188 Post by mugenjohncel »

Blastitall wrote:Dearest Uncle Mugen,

My sister and I are working on a BxB story and need a background depicting a poorly lit alleyway. This is for a scene with a mugging. Would you be willing with this? It can be your typical intercity alleyway.

Thank you ever so much.
deep dark fantasy.jpg
You mean something like this? (see image)... OK, here you go :mrgreen: Just excuse the inaccurate wet floor reflection. I was dumb enough to forget it in the rendering that I have to resort to post processing it... via ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 7 :mrgreen:

Now where was I?... Oh... here... FREE BG!... This time it's another School Gate... while the render turned out good enough... this is actually a reject of sorts. I made a critical error that is so basic yet so embarrassing I decline to state it and simply covered it behind a tree :mrgreen: And uh... yes, this BG also happens to be another victim of my unusual habit of putting tree shadows in the foreground...
school_gate_2.jpg
Anyways, same terms as previous resources...

"POOF" (Disappears)

_Shiro_
Regular
Projects: 6 days

#189 Post by _Shiro_ »

Thank you very much Uncle Mugen, your BGs are AWESOME, I'm using some of them for my next project xD, and will credit you properly xD.

And I'm wondering if you could add some afternoon and night scenes for the forest BGs? If it's possible, i will be really really really grateful xD
Contact info:
FB: Shiro VN
Email: tlvh110493@gmail.com

Blastitall
Projects: "With One Choice"- current project
Organization: Blast-it-All Studios

#190 Post by Blastitall »

Dearest Uncle Mugen,

Thank you so much the alleyway is perfect. :shock: I truly appreciate it. Like always your artwork is spectacular.
:D :D

miwa

#191 Post by miwa »

uncle mugen is the beeeest ;v;
these bgs are so awesoome, i'll use them for my project too (> A <)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#192 Post by mugenjohncel »

Warning: RANT post

Good news!
I just figured out how to apply shiny lines directly into the render by stealing borrowing what I believe is a common technique used by MMD modelers to add hard lines to their models and applying it here. It means I no longer need to use Photoshop to manually add those shiny lines shaving off precious time wasted on post processing things and look at those gorgeous thick black and shiny lines...

Bad news?
It's Blender and not Sketchup so a quick tutorial is no go because I too am a noob at blender. Also, the render time is slightly longer in Blender than in Sketchup so every time saving measure I shaved from the post process is being eaten up by the rendering time... :(

Yes, this one took 20 minutes to render... a single bed... a mere simple bed composed of basic shapes and no diffuse, bump or anything complicated took 20 minutes to render... in comparison, the school gate background on my previous post only took 5 minutes to render + another 15-20 minutes of post process in Photoshop and that was a complete and quickie BG... I don't know if I'm doing something wrong in the render settings or Blender just hates me... I dunno... I seriously don't know... if anyone here is familiar with Blender may I humbly request to be pointed to a tutorial regarding rendering in Blender...

Edit:
I figured out why rendering was slow in Blender... I'm only using 1 computer to render while on Sketchup, I have 3 computers set up on Render Farm... I'm dumb, I know... much to learn, I still have :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#193 Post by noeinan »

Looks great! Hopefully this can save you some time. :D I love your work. ^^ Maybe I'll try following your tutorial again sometime-- though I will need a better computer first. Thank you for all the free resources!

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#194 Post by mugenjohncel »

Uncle Mugen says...
New Sketchup House Model now available for your OELVN needs… and yes, it’s FREE!!!

GET IT HERE WHILE HOT!!!
(Scroll down a bit... it's there I swear)

"POOF" (Disappears)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#195 Post by mugenjohncel »

See the 3D model above?...

Step 1:
Create a road.

Step 2:
Copy and paste the model multiple times then place them around the road.

Step 3:
Download UNCLE MUGEN's tree and Electrical Distribution posts collection from Sketchup warehouse and place them around the scene.

Step 4:
Hit Render.

Step 5:
Post process in Adobe Photoshop 7 for maximum pain...
Enjoy this (almost) instant and cheap background :mrgreen:
Attachments
Ōsaka-fu, Hirakata-shi, Higashikōrishinmachi uh... Neodesha, Kansas, USA... I dunno... just pretend this is somewhere in America :)
Ōsaka-fu, Hirakata-shi, Higashikōrishinmachi uh... Neodesha, Kansas, USA... I dunno... just pretend this is somewhere in America :)