1080p wipes (image dissolve transitions)

This section is for people to post assets that people can use in their games. Everything here should have a creative commons or other open license, or be in the public domain.
rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: 1080p wipes (image dissolve transitions)

#46 Post by rayminator »

can you try and make point of view opening and closing of the eyes?

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#47 Post by Kia »

rayminator wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:23 am can you try and make point of view opening and closing of the eyes?
This one is an eyes shape effect: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=37628&start=15#p498125
you can reverse it to achieve a closing effect as well.
If it's not what you have in mind, please describe how the effect should look and I'll try to make it.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#48 Post by rayminator »

Kia wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:15 pm
rayminator wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:23 am can you try and make point of view opening and closing of the eyes?
If it's not what you have in mind, please describe how the effect should look and I'll try to make it.
okay thanks how do you reverse?

I figure it out

Grumpy

#49 Post by Grumpy »

I seem to be having trouble activating these, i put only the wipe i want with the scripts in the game folder and nothing happens. I put the whole folder same. Do i need to declare it in the game script or in the options first?

well i found a file and rpy that works, but when i put one of my own i either get a "tab character are not allowed when i edit the rpy with notepad++ " or something about "cant call int object" so the ? now is how to add custom transitions. Atm i just rename the transitions to whatever name is in the rpy

edit: problem solved with another editor all works great!

Manwards84
Completed: 1
Projects: After School Murder Club!!
Organization: Rabbit, Deer, You
Deviantart: Hououin-Jouma
itch: rabbitdeeryou

#50 Post by Manwards84 »

rayminator wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:38 pm

I figure it out

Do you mind if I ask how you reversed the effect? I can get the eye opening effect, but am brand new to Ren'Py and can't figure out how to reverse it.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#51 Post by rayminator »

Manwards84 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 pm
rayminator wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:38 pm

I figure it out

Do you mind if I ask how you reversed the effect? I can get the eye opening effect, but am brand new to Ren'Py and can't figure out how to reverse it.
you can try these I can remember witch one I used

Code: Select all

$ eye = ImageDissolve("wipes/eye.png", 2, ramplen=128, reverse=False, time_warp=eyewarp)
    $ eye2 = ImageDissolve("wipes/eye.png", 2, ramplen=128, reverse=True, time_warp=eyewarp)
    $ eye3 = ImageDissolve("wipes/eye3.png", 5, 5)
    $ eye4 = ImageDissolve("wipes/eye3.png", 5, 5, ramplen=128, reverse=True, time_warp=eyewarp)

Manwards84
Completed: 1
Projects: After School Murder Club!!
Organization: Rabbit, Deer, You
Deviantart: Hououin-Jouma
itch: rabbitdeeryou

#52 Post by Manwards84 »

rayminator wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:04 am you can try these I can remember witch one I used

$ eye = ImageDissolve("wipes/eye.png", 2, ramplen=128, reverse=False, time_warp=eyewarp)
    $ eye2 = ImageDissolve("wipes/eye.png", 2, ramplen=128, reverse=True, time_warp=eyewarp)
    $ eye3 = ImageDissolve("wipes/eye3.png", 5, 5)
    $ eye4 = ImageDissolve("wipes/eye3.png", 5, 5, ramplen=128, reverse=True, time_warp=eyewarp)
Thanks for this!

I got these working last night, and am looking forward to going through my VN so far and adding in various new transitions. They will really enhance some of my scenes. Thanks so much for doing these OP; your name will be in the credits section of my game when it's finished.

iRayala
Discord: Rayala#0223

#53 Post by iRayala »

Found this thread on transitions and i am already looking forward to implementing them on my VN!

Edit: I am crediting you Kia too! Thanks for your work.

BadMustard
itch: badmustard

#54 Post by BadMustard »

I'm going to post all of this here as well as keeping the post over at itch.io about the wipes/transitions pack that I created over two years ago using the resources posted here that were originally posted as "cc free for all uses no credit required".

https://badmustard.itch.io/transitions

The owner of the works demanded that I remove his images, and when I pointed out that they were cc free he said he was the creator, and "As the creator, I can change the license at any time" but according to the cc license "CC licenses are not revocable. Once something has been published under a CC license, licensees may continue using it according to the license terms for the duration of applicable copyright and similar rights. As a licensor, you may stop distributing under the CC license at any time, but anyone who has access to a copy of the material may continue to redistribute it under the CC license terms."

https://creativecommonsusa.org/index.ph ... c-license/.

In response to this, he edited his original post, removing the "cc free for all uses no credit required"

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=37628#p407985 

and changed the license completely (to his advantage, of course).

Thanks to the Internet Archive, here is the original post:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221031223 ... 28#p407985

Should I have asked him to use his work? According to his original post, I did not have to, so I didn't.
Am I going to take down my pack? No, I am not because of the original cc license that is not revocable. I do not have to.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#55 Post by Kia »

BadMustard wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:20 pm ...
I did ask you politely to remove my images from your pack, your answer was whatever that would benefits you from other people's work. Congratulation, you have technically won, but thanks to you, I'm not creating free stuff anymore. Enjoy your life of leeching from others.

Lubnevsky
Tumblr: lubnevsky
Deviantart: Lubnevsky
itch: lubnevsky
Discord: realjonahofficial

#56 Post by Lubnevsky »

Beautiful transitions! Thank you for your hard work. :D

One thing, though: I noticed that all of your ImageDissolves use the same parameters. With this in mind, I think it makes sense to define all of the wipes automatically - this would eliminate the need to update the .rpy file for each new wipe image. The user can always redefine these with manual settings (or create alternate versions) if needed.

Here's some code I whipped up to show what I mean. The names of the transitions here are derived by stripping the directory and extensions from file names.

init python:
    for filepath in renpy.list_files():
        if filepath.startswith('images/wipes/'):
            name = filepath.replace('images/wipes/','').split(".")[0]
            globals()[name] = ImageDissolve(filepath, 1.0, 8)
Even if you don't end up releasing any more free transitions (I totally understand, it's hard when others take advantage of your hard work and good will!), I figure this might be useful to have for your own future projects. :)
Last edited by Lubnevsky on Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#57 Post by Kia »

Lubnevsky wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:02 am Here's some code I whipped up to show what I mean.
That's a pretty neat function.
I did write some code that allowed me to choose the images and adjust timing, but it was intended to help me with testing rather than being in a finished game. I assumed that the users will choose a handful of images and dial in their parameters, to get exactly the transition they want, that's why I never gone deep into the code part.
And thank you for your support in my little feud ^^

ThenameisKen

#58 Post by ThenameisKen »

BadMustard wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:20 pm I'm going to post all of this here as well as keeping the post over at itch.io about the wipes/transitions pack that I created over two years ago using the resources posted here that were originally posted as "cc free for all uses no credit required".

https://badmustard.itch.io/transitions

The owner of the works demanded....
Seriously, this is the WORST thing you can do. Please stop doing this, especially since the author required you to. It's horrible and abuse to the cc0 work. With your action no one would want to publish their work as cc0 anymore. You should find out more about cc0 works yourself to see, for many cases it shouldn't be sold like that. People still have other rights (moral rights, owner rights, etc.) you see. And when you got everything correct legally, and people disagree with your action, then ask your morality.

To the author: although your work is cc0, next time please attach them with a notice that they shouldn't be resell individually. I usually see the cc0 creators put something like "You are free to use (the media) but cannot sell or distribute content (either in digital or physical form) on a standalone basis."

But again, that depends on the morality of the users as well, which you already saw what happened. I really appreciate and admire your work, it's sad to see all this.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#59 Post by Kia »

ThenameisKen wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:28 pm To the author...
That is pretty much what I do these days. I only give specific permissions, and often to specific people.

To be honest, I didn't read the CC license when I said they're CC, because I assumed that means free for commercial and non commercial use. Didn't know somebody will steal my work to sell it as is.
I still think he has no right to resell my work since I never said they're CC0, and never gave anyone permission to resell my work. I consider them CC BY-NC-ND, and might go after him legally at some point.

I will still create free content for gamers to use, most likely pixel art, but I swore off the CC license and would never use it again.