Royalty-Free CC Alternate Music Resources

This section is for people to post assets that people can use in their games. Everything here should have a creative commons or other open license, or be in the public domain.
illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

Royalty-Free CC Alternate Music Resources

#1 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey guys,

I just thought I'd share 2 free music resources that have been giving me alot of luck lately! (I did a pretty quick search on LSF to make sure they weren't already mentioned anywhere :wink: )

As you know finding royalty free music can be a pain sometimes, especially when you don't want the music in your game to be one of those tracks that are in 90% of all the VN's right now lol. (Kevin MacLeod is an amazing composer for example, but man oh MAN have I heard so many repeated tracks of his in VN's that it's become pretty distracting for my immersion level.)

MACHINIMASOUND: A great music resource for music, easily searchable with high quality tracks. Nothing sounded like generic fare to me. The free downloadable music is CC, for non-commercial ONLY usage. But even if you plan to make your VN commercial, each track is only $8 USD. I think that's rad! 8)
https://machinimasound.com/

STARFROSCH: This one is seriously magic. So ok, it somehow looks through pages and pages of music on Soundcloud, finds the ones that are royalty free+CC, and sorts them by genre tags for your downloading pleasure. One thing, you got to be mindful of the licenses since although most are free to DL, royalty-free and CC...the individual composer can specify unique license limitations per track despite it being CC. Luckily each track has a small link that tells you exactly what the limitations are so it's easy to understand. Also all tracks are linked back to their source/composer so it's easy to add their credit info when the time comes.
https://starfrosch.com/

Hope this helps!
Last edited by illuminate001 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Royalty-Free CC Alternate Music Resources

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

These resources are both amazing! Especially Starfrosch! Soundcloud has so much good CC music on it, but its search features are next-level terrible, especially compared to Free Music Archive (which is amazing, but a little limited in some genres because it's curated).

I personally think a lot of the most popular royalty-free music sounds more like elevator muzak than something created by actual humans, so it's nice to see more options!

Image Image

illuminate001
Veteran

#3 Post by illuminate001 »

YossarianIII wrote:These resources are both amazing! Especially Starfrosch! Soundcloud has so much good CC music on it, but its search features are next-level terrible, especially compared to Free Music Archive (which is amazing, but a little limited in some genres because it's curated).

I personally think a lot of the most popular royalty-free music sounds more like elevator muzak than something created by actual humans, so it's nice to see more options!
Hey Yossarian! Yeah I hope these 2 resources will help you a lot (and others)! Also I hear ya on the "elevator music" thing. Starfrosch is great for finding CC music especially if you're looking for tracks with actual vocals. A VN with vocal melodies in it?! Shut the door ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Arli

#4 Post by Arli »

Here there is a choice of different styles of royalty free music. it can be suitable for your project. http://audioluck.com/

illuminate001
Veteran

#5 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey Arli,

Audioluck is for the most part a pay site however there was a small little section for free music. Although the collection is tiny, it's pretty diverse: https://audioluck.com/free.html

And the music that is for sale ranges anywhere from $3 to around the $15-ish mark.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Soliloquy
Regular

#6 Post by Soliloquy »

Thanks for the resources. I'll have to check these out when I have my headphones on me.