Background Questions

This section is for people to post assets that people can use in their games. Everything here should have a creative commons or other open license, or be in the public domain.
NikiFig
Regular

Background Questions

#1 Post by NikiFig »

So I have no idea how to make backgrounds.

The game I'm trying to fashion mine after is Dn.D Poisoned by Akane. I don't know how to make these styles of backgrounds- could someone give me some tips? They look simplistic. When I say backgrounds, I mean those that are in the backdrop of the sprites (not standalone images)

TheUsernameIsTaken

Re: Background Questions

#2 Post by TheUsernameIsTaken »

I am still learning backgrounds myself too.

The first useful thing I found when beginning on backgrounds, was vanishing points. That and apparently SketchUP? To simulate your architecture needs. Another useful thing, shadows, if u wanna make it more detailed. ADD SHADOWS EVERYWHERE! Add sources of brightness, add sources of darkness, heck go crazy and add two different versions of each and knock yourself out with em and become the next shadowlord.

Looking at some of the works by Akane, the VN looking one looks like a filter, the one with stairs looks like two refs were used, the one with grass looks like they used a custom brush for the leaves.

Another way is to use real life photo references. Either trace it, use parts of it, or slap on a filter. Though if you do the above (minus using it as purely reference), make sure the game you are making it for is not commercial, when money is involved, things get touchy. Id just avoid commercial projects like that until you learned all you can from photo references. Which imo, I learned about the value of wooden flooring reflection, how it looks drop dead gorgeous.

I am not too sure how frowned upon the above is, so probably best to wait for someone else to post about it.