Free Portrait mode GUI template

This section is for people to post assets that people can use in their games. Everything here should have a creative commons or other open license, or be in the public domain.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Free Portrait mode GUI template

#31 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm pretty happy with v1.29, several changes have been made that make the GUI much easier to work with.

An issue that continually niggled at the back of my mind was that the more I edited this GUI, the harder it was becoming for novices (and even me) to edit the GUI to their liking if for example, they wanted to change the images used in the menu's individually. Due to having multiple styles for the same screen, some buttons had to be edited several times to catch all the variations, which could mean missed edits or simply make it difficult to find which line to edit in the first place.

To address this I condensed all button background images into an easily modified buttons.rpy file. Now all button images can be easily changed by changing a single file path within buttons.rpy

Additionally I added new_game_<button state>.png to show how the buttons can be individually changed now.
ImageScreenshot from v1.30, but looks identical in v1.29

Load/Save screen thumbnails and save time/name text have been reworked to match the new 1080x1920 resolution introduced in v1.27
Pagination buttons have been moved so they're no longer behind the navigation menu when in game context.

Bugs and unintended breakages
I also identified a bug with the extras button. Due to how I made the extras screen and the new navigation system, if you're in another screen (for example, settings) and click on extras, the screen will not show.
The screen still shows just fine if you try to open it from the main menu. This will be fixed in a future update.

The about screen doesn't fit properly since the addition of the new navigation. This will be fixed in a future update.

The navigation menu appears broken and on the left side if persistent.men_style = False
This results in it covering the history screen, save screen, etc and looks very out of place.
This is a major oops that must have been introduced in v1.28 (that wasn't detected until after I released v1.29.) It will be fixed in v1.30

Get it here
Again, the file is a 7zip archive. Extract it and place it in your projects folder like any other project to use it.
https://mega.nz/file/0Ft2zaST#r9rsd6isv ... bSGXHZjqQo

Note
Ren'Py 7.4 changes how hardware video playback works on mobile devices.
You may need to adjust define config.hw_video = True in options.rpy if you experience issues.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#32 Post by Imperf3kt »

v1.30 is ready
This release fixes several pretty big errors caused by a lack of proper testing and oversight on my part.

The following changes were made.
  • Added additional button states to buttons.rpy
  • Added history button to buttons.rpy
  • Fixed odd behaviour of Extras screen.
  • Added underconstruction screen as a placeholder for screens that exist, but are not ready.
  • Adjusted the Extras screen to look like the Settings screen, keeping the theme consistent.
  • Adjusted style game_menu_outer_frame: to not overflow the navigation content.
  • Adjusted buttons to navigate pages in save/load screens to yalign 1.0 (previously 0.83) to fit better in the new game_menu_outer_frame size.
  • Changed line 39 of changelog.rpy to xsize 610, removing 20 pixels to fix overflowing text.
  • Edited nav_content screen to account for the History screen instead of showing "New Game".
Note:
  • This release makes use of triple quotes strings for the changelog, which currently (Ren'Py 7.4.0) have a bug. See this post for more detail.
    7.4.1 fixes this issue, but at time of posting, is still in prerelease.
  • I missed one thing, line 966 of screens.rpy has

Code: Select all

auto new_game_button_image
    when it should be

Code: Select all

auto history_button_image
Download it here:
https://mega.nz/file/8NF3AAhB#3141NeFtI ... 6PIMLrvNTw

Twitter

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#33 Post by Imperf3kt »

I apparently never released the latest update I prepared a while ago, v1.31.

I'll just post the changelog, while I get back to working on v1.32 which is hopefully the last update before v2.0, which if all goes well, should be a very big update.
  • - Fixed quick_menu_style toggle button behaviour. The wrong quick menu style could be left on screen if not hidden before switching styles.
  • - Adjusted help menu to match button theme established in other screens.
  • - Minor positioning adjustments to various screens.
  • - Removed unused phone variant images.
  • - Created new buttons for help screen to depict devices as the text based buttons were too large. (See below image)
  • - Removed considerable redundant imagebutton image states. This removes 90 lines of code from the current GUI, and possibly more from future versions.
  • - Partial optimisation of help screen and controller support.
  • - Various screens have been optimised to have less redundancy.
  • - Began moving screens with multiple available styles to their own .rpy file in an attempt to streamline the GUI in v1.32.
The new icons in the help menu adjust their position automatically and appear/hide automatically, depending on what is available. (Keyboard and mouse are always shown, for now)
Download it here:
https://mega.nz/file/UUshnSzY#pgY6biVpe ... YWVkp_Owyc

Twitter