Where should i credit the cc no copyright musics and sounds?

This section is for people to post assets that people can use in their games. Everything here should have a creative commons or other open license, or be in the public domain.
szebi444

Where should i credit the cc no copyright musics and sounds?

#1 Post by szebi444 »

Hey guys, i dunno if somebody asked it, but i searched for it and do not get my answer i need.
Actually i too creating a visual novel, i plan to publish it on Itch.io and Patreon. Where should i credit these musics? I also created my vn with Ren'py. I already asked an author about it, but i couldn't understand what he meant and i didn't want to be rude, so i decided to ask this question here. (He said i do not need to credit in general, but it's weird, because all these musics asking for credit.)

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Where should i credit the cc no copyright musics and sounds?

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

If something is in the public domain or released under a CC0 license, you're not necessarily required to credit it. Others like CC BY do require credit, but don't always necessarily specify how exactly you credit them, since it will depend on what's appropriate for your project. You can find more information about different kinds of creative commons licenses here. Sometimes creators will note more specifics about how and where they'd like to be credited as well, so take a look at the websites you found the music and sound effects on and see what they say.

If none of the resources you're using specify that you need to credit them in a specific place or in a specific way, then it's kind of up to you to decide on how to handle it. Some people include credits in a .txt file included in their game's files, or in the "about" section or some other page you can access from the main menu. You could also probably list them on a web page somewhere and include a link wherever you make your game available, or something like that. Personally, I tend to include credit even if it's not required, and add links to where I found the resources as well. That way if someone else plays my game and thinks "wow, that music track sounded cool, I want to listen to it again or maybe even put it in my own game," it's easy for them to find it and support the artist.
ImageImageImage

szebi444

Re: Where should i credit the cc no copyright musics and sounds?

#3 Post by szebi444 »

Thank you, somehow i understand it now! I plan to list these soundtracks too anyway, even if it's not necessary. :D