[Group Play 9] Frequencies

A weekly event where a random games is played and discussed.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

[Group Play 9] Frequencies

#1 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Group Play is a weekly event in which one game is selected to be promoted within the forums to be played by us as a group. It provides an opportunity to promote some smaller games that would otherwise get lost, promote discussion and promote creativity. This isn't just about the creators of the games, but also us as a community. It acts as a way for us to analyse work as creative people and for us to develop the necessary critical language to develop and pursue our work.

This week's game is "Frequencies" by Morhighan!

You can find links to the game here: Frequencies

There are some rules to follow in the following discussion about the game.

- In your primary comment on the game, please try to mention one thing you liked and one thing you think could be improved. This is in the spirit of giving both encouraging and helpful comments to the creators. You may of course go beyond this with praise or critique. I can't enforce this rule, I'll just silently judge you.

- Please try to do one play-through or enough of the game to develop a solid opinion. Some things can be commented on early on, but things like plot might be best left until you finish the game.

- There is no rule as to whether you post here only or in the completed game topic. Feel free to do as you like. This is just a space to discuss this game while playing it at the same time as others.

- Please try to think about the game play as a whole, as well as the different parts that make up the game.

- Please be respectful to the game and creator. You don't have to like a game, but you should be respectful to the effort.

- Please follow the forum rules.

If you would like to make your own suggestions and haven't already, please feel free to PM them to me.

These are the current guidelines for suggestions:

- Anyone can send me 3 games (VN, KN Sim, whatever, just from these forums or related to) that they think are worth playing by PM.
- There can only be three suggestions per person and if a game gets suggested multiple times, they still only get one draw.
- You may suggest your own games.
- For now they must not be 18+, just because we want to encourage everyone to join first up. If it goes well, maybe something can be arranged for the big kids.
- Please try to make sure the game is short (around a max of 30,000 words). It isn't a hard and fast rule, but it's easier to make time for smaller games and it will give this a greater chance of success.
- They must be free and preferably available on all 3 platforms, again for easy access.

And with that, let the games begin!

Arelune
Regular

Re: [Group Play 9] Frequencies

#2 Post by Arelune »

A lot of the issues are already said in the main thread:
- No dialogue labels
- The sprite is so low
- Transitions could be better
- No bg music

I would like the add that I liked the buttons of the main menu. Simple, but very in theme.
The story idea was nice, but the way it was told could be better. It was like: I do this, they do that. One of the important rules of writing is: Show, don't tell.

Arivien
Regular

#3 Post by Arivien »

I enjoyed it enough.

+ Good ideas
+ Welldrawn MC
+ (as already said) Good-looking main menu buttons.
+ Nice sound effects. When the headphones started blaring I wanted to rip my own off, which is what I guess you were going for.
- Choppy sentences. Didn't flow very well.
- Small sprite.
- No BGMs
- Seemingly abrupt ending.

That's just my two cents.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SusanTheCat »

Things I liked:

The main menu music was nice. I would have liked to hear more of it during the story.

The premise was a touch clichéd, but executed nicely. There were rules around what the headphones did.

The sprite was well done and I liked that the headphones changed position depending on what he was doing.

Things I didn't like:

The interface:
- you couldn't save
- you couldn't change the music/sound volume
- you couldn't quit without an error

The was a teenage wish fulfillment story -- but the MC didn't actually wish for it. It was more like something that happened to him. I think having more of an inner monologue about WHY he is using the headphones would help make his change at the end more satisfying.

The showing of backgrounds with no dialogue when he goes home. This is a pet peeve of mine.

The sprite and the background didn't jive.

Final Verdict:

This was a good little story. I would be on my list of ones to show someone that not all KN/VN have to be great epics.

See the Let's Play here: http://youtu.be/urF9qiY-LPg

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

lordshadowisle
Regular

#5 Post by lordshadowisle »

I found this VN to be compact and interesting.

PLUSES
I think it's cleverly planned/written to not use a lot of resources. It goes to show that it isn't necessary to have sprites for every character, particularly if they are faceless-bit characters anyway.

I liked the mixed NVL and dialogue mode. I generally prefer the NVL mode, as it is closer to how fiction is usually written and read.

MINUSES
Somewhat of a oversight to not include name labels. Particularly troublesome when the VN starts, as it's not immediately clear who's talking, and who's the dude in the picture.

Ending was somewhat sudden and weak, can be improved.